Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #821
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Maybe I'm paying attention to the wrong people creating change, opportunity, and new things in the world... but when I listen to them, they're always hanging out in places that simply aren't the Calgary-Edmonton corridor.
The irony of your ability to "listen to them" when they're not actually here, yet somehow missing the point that physical location is now almost irrelevant to creative collaboration and learning is astounding.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #822
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better to be out of it now then continuing to give people false hope. City can move on to more realistic endevours.

No big US company is moving to Canada with Trump vs. JT sorry TO.

Not saying that is the only reason
Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #823
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
The irony of your ability to "listen to them" when they're not actually here, yet somehow missing the point that physical location is now almost irrelevant to creative collaboration and learning is astounding.
Is that really true, though? People talked about being able to live in Montana and work in Silicon Valley, but it isn't really happening. The cost of housing in cities with strong economies keeps going up and up. Most companies, including cutting edge tech companies, have more or less given up on telecommuting. While we can sorta manage remote collaboration with the technology we have, the face-to-face kind is preferable by far. I know when my company closed our office in the U.S., there was tremendous relief that we wouldn't have to hold all our meetings and standups using ####ing GoTo Meeting anymore.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #824
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Is that really true, though? People talked about being able to live in Montana and work in Silicon Valley, but it isn't really happening. The cost of housing in cities with strong economies keeps going up and up. Most companies, including cutting edge tech companies, have more or less given up on telecommuting. While we can sorta manage remote collaboration with the technology we have, the face-to-face kind is preferable by far. I know when my company closed our office in the U.S., there was tremendous relief that we wouldn't have to hold all our meetings and standups using ####ing GoTo Meeting anymore.
Telecommuting seems to be strong and growing from what I can tell. My organization is quite conservative, and is completely decentralized and more than half of the staff works from home. I report to someone in New York, live in Virginia and have staff in Texas, Kansas City, St Louis, New Jersey, and New York, New York.

Looking around at my cul de sac in the suburbs and more than half the people are working from home and most are working for an out of state company. The jobs in my area are all require very specific IT skills, and there is no chance I could fill positions with people living in my city or willing to move here.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #825
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Seems like most companies have the same problem with finding good people, and then on top of that finding good people to work where they are located.

Being able to work remotely probably saves a lot of money/resources even if the headache is a bit bigger.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #826
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very happy we pursued this, and made an impact doing so in the process. I would have been way more pissed had we decided to pass on this RFP, so kudos to Calgary Economic Development and the City for identifying opportunities that can benefit our economy and chasing these opportunities with a big league mindset. I want to see much more of this, regularly.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #827
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
My friend said a similar thing. That he hopes his kids move away from Calgary as he feels the city has peaked. I see his point, but yours I think is too far.

Your infering that Calgary is bad now and for the next 20 years. Raising your kids now in Calgary is a no brainer. It a top 5 world city on many metrics. Safe, clean, relatively affordable. Heck the company I work for which is not in oil and massive will be here for the long haul.

Maybe just maybe your kids won’t want to stay, but there isn’t much chance of Calgary needing Robocop to patrol any time soon.
Which in its own way is kind of sad...it would be kind of cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm very happy we pursued this, and made an impact doing so in the process. I would have been way more pissed had we decided to pass on this RFP, so kudos to Calgary Economic Development for the City for identifying opportunities that can benefit our city and chasing them with a big league mindset.
Yeah, they took a big league swing. It didnt work out but they tried and were in the conversation.

I'll take trying and failing over not even trying any day.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #828
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Well in some sectors it is true. I split my time between Calgary and South Carolina. I work remotely 2 weeks out of each month. In my field it is getting more and more common to have designers work remotely.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #829
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #830
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

While we may not have won the HQ2 sweepstakes, I am hearing that Amazon will be opening an Amazon Web Services office in Calgary in the near future.

With this and the upcoming Amazon distribution centre opening soon, I would say Amazon is certainly interested in doing business in Calgary, even without being shortlisted. That is something to certainly be proud of.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #831
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are opening tonnea of offices all over North America. It doesn’t really make Calgary special.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #832
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
They are opening tonnea of offices all over North America. It doesn’t really make Calgary special.
I love this attitude.

Calgary is getting both a distribution centre and an AWS office.

What more could you want from Amazon without getting HQ2? It's not like they're ignoring business in Calgary.

Cripes, some of you just can't be even be marginally happy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #833
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well to be fair Calgary area is a getting a distribution centre. It’s in Balzac.

But I’m not exactly proud that a satellite office is being opened here (haven’t seen anything yet but taking your word) when they are apparently leasing massive amounts of space in Boston right now. When we start hearing things like that in the Calgary area then I’ll start caring about Amazon as a local company.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #834
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Wow. I honestly don't know what to say.

Just . . . wow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #835
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1062168142749843457
Old 11-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #836
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Interesting that they're so close, NYC and Washington are like 200 miles apart. NYC and say Houston/Dallas makes far more sense to look after the interests of the whole demographic USA.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #837
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bezos lives in DC and NYC. This whole thing was basically an attempt to leverage more handouts from the state governments there, and sure enough it appears to have worked.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #838
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Interesting that they're so close, NYC and Washington are like 200 miles apart. NYC and say Houston/Dallas makes far more sense to look after the interests of the whole demographic USA.
Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. NYC makes perfect sense when you consider the population base but Texas would have made more sense. Even Atlanta would have made more sense. I really don't see the purpose of two locations so close together. Would be akin to a massive Canadian distributor opening up their two main hubs in Toronto and Brampton.

Just goes to show that Canada was likely never really being seriously considered.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #839
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Seems like a gigantic waste of time in the end and kind of obnoxious, if you ask me. Amazon would have been better off just quietly selecting a site and calling it a day.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #840
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. NYC makes perfect sense when you consider the population base but Texas would have made more sense. Even Atlanta would have made more sense. I really don't see the purpose of two locations so close together. Would be akin to a massive Canadian distributor opening up their two main hubs in Toronto and Brampton.

Just goes to show that Canada was likely never really being seriously considered.
These are headquarters. Nothing related to distributing hubs. I am guessing the idea is 2 headquarters operating as one with easy transportation between the two. The number one goal is access to an educated, tech work force. Northern VA seemed like the favorite all along with splitting to New York being a late development.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote