Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default How to fix a PS4 controller? - or tell if its toast?

Couldn't find a relevant thread to stick this in..recently took a controller to my buddy's (he only has one), it took a bit to get it to be compatible with his PS4 but eventually worked fine at his house the entire evening. I crashed over and the next morning I couldn't get it to work anymore, and then when I came home I can't get it to connect back to my PS4, even when I connect it to the cord directly into the PS4.

I looked online and pressed the small reset button and all that stuff..no dice. Its an old controller that's been used a lot, I've had it since 2014 so if its just dead now that's fine..its just the timing of it evidently dying while at my buddy's house that has me wonder if it is just a compatibility thing, before I just chuck it out.

What's the life-span on those anyway? Curious how long others have had their controllers last for before being replaced...I didn't even know they could permanently die like that! Thanks if you can help and save me $80!

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-02-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've had the worst luck with PS4 controllers. 2 of them I've had shoulder buttons die, and another had the analog stick die. I'm on my 4th controller now since I bought the PS4 at launch, so if you got 5+ years out of yours then you're doing great
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought you need to connect with USB to pair to the console. If possible, using the original cable (since the connection can be finicky). Oh, I see you tried that. Suggestion still stands to try with the original cable (if you didn’t).

Biggest issue I’ve had is breaking the L2 trigger. I’ve done it 6 times, and exhausted the supply of replacements I ordered from eBay. So I just ordered 5 more, and they accidentally sent 15, so I should be good for a while.

Last edited by gottabekd; 01-18-2020 at 02:17 PM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've had the worst luck with PS4 controllers. 2 of them I've had shoulder buttons die, and another had the analog stick die. I'm on my 4th controller now since I bought the PS4 at launch, so if you got 5+ years out of yours then you're doing great
Shoulder buttons always die. I swear it is on purpose
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Never had problem with shoulder buttons, but I have gone through a few early made PS4 controllers where the rubber on the sticks were coming off. Had other issues with the sticks where they had stick drift or where it thought I was pressing down on it when I wasn't.

Hopefully the PS5 controllers will be better made.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sainters7: I need a controller.
Gottabekd: Huh. I needed a controller and ended up with 15 of them.
Sainters7: Cool. Have a nice day. I have to go figure out what do do about not having a controller.
Gottabedk: Yeah, you to. I have to go figure out what to do with this massively excessive number of controllers I have.

Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Gottabedk: Yeah, you to. I have to go figure out what to do with this massively excessive number of controllers I have.
I read it as he has an excessive amount of replacement triggers, not controllers.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Couldn't find a relevant thread to stick this in..recently took a controller to my buddy's (he only has one), it took a bit to get it to be compatible with his PS4 but eventually worked fine at his house the entire evening. I crashed over and the next morning I couldn't get it to work anymore, and then when I came home I can't get it to connect back to my PS4, even when I connect it to the cord directly into the PS4.

I looked online and pressed the small reset button and all that stuff..no dice. Its an old controller that's been used a lot, I've had it since 2014 so if its just dead now that's fine..its just the timing of it evidently dying while at my buddy's house that has me wonder if it is just a compatibility thing, before I just chuck it out.

What's the life-span on those anyway? Curious how long others have had their controllers last for before being replaced...I didn't even know they could permanently die like that! Thanks if you can help and save me $80!
I'm pretty sure when you pair to another Playstation, all you do is hook it up via USB then push the PS button on the controller.

1. Does the controller have lights that turn on when you connect via USB/does it have a charge?

If it does, then you know it's not dead from a hardware level and there's a very high likelihood that you can get it to pair again.

2. Is your USB cable to your PS4 a data cable or a power only cable? It may be worth checking to see. If it's not a cable that can send data, it can't send the limited data to pair because it's not actually connected directly to the PS4, just drawing power. Consider borrowing a USB C data cable to pair the controller.

It's possible that for a while now, you haven't had to do data pair the controller via that cable and it's fine just pulling a power draw. But right now the controller is paired to your buddy's PS4, so the controller is turning on, but not pairing and not sending data to your PS4 to pair because of the cable.

3. Reset to factory and try to pair via data USB again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KUUxPO2RG4

If all that fails, then you may have to replace it, but I have a feeling the controller is not actually dead and it's something stupid that is causing your controller to not pair. If you must replace it though, don't pay $80. There's plenty of $50-60 deals to be had and I'm sure if you check around for an open box controller/"used" at different retailers, you can have one for significantly cheaper than $80 that's essentially brand new.

If you can't find a reasonable option at a big typical brick and mortar/video game website, let me know and I'll see if I can look one up for you.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the tips bud, appreciated! When I plug it in, it lights up yellow for a second, then turns back off and never comes back on. It doesn't do the pulsating thing it's supposed to do when its charging. I did the factory reset and then plugged it in via the USB and it still wouldn't connect, so weird. Agreed with you that I think its. something stupid going on.

It's all good, I picked up a new one after Christmas so I'm all good to go! But I like having a backup one that's not mangled - my current backup is slightly chewed from last year when our dog was a puppy lol, so the L1 and R1 tend to stick sometimes - so I'm going to still fiddle with the other one using some of those suggestions.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #10
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Sainters7: I need a controller.
Gottabekd: Huh. I needed a controller and ended up with 15 of them.
Sainters7: Cool. Have a nice day. I have to go figure out what do do about not having a controller.

Lol I think he meant the triggers for the top buttons, but if you actually have 15 controllers I'll gladly take one!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just had this happen to me as well!

Have had the PS4 since launch, had 2 controllers this whole time. And both of them died within the same week! Shoulder buttons stopped working, d-pad was iffy at best. Ended up just buying 2 new ones, which is kind of crappy timing, since the PS5 is supposed to be launched by the holiday season.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Just had this happen to me as well!

Have had the PS4 since launch, had 2 controllers this whole time. And both of them died within the same week! Shoulder buttons stopped working, d-pad was iffy at best. Ended up just buying 2 new ones, which is kind of crappy timing, since the PS5 is supposed to be launched by the holiday season.

PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS4 controllers though, so don't feel too bad
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote