Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Condo: Landlord/Tenant Laws

I'm asking these questions for my mom who rents out a condo.

1. Can the condo board charge her fines and enforce them?
    1. One fine is for a dirty parking stall ($300)
    2. One fine is for having an animal (dog) in the unit for a few days ($1200)
  2. If the condo board fines are enforceable, can my mom charge her tenant these fines?
I haven't read the lease between my mom and her tenant yet. She said she grab a template online and used that.
Regarding pets, I'm not sure if it explicitly states "no pets" on the lease. Does it have to say "no pets" or would it have to state "pets allowed"
There is a sign on the front of the building noting pets aren't allowed so I think if anything my mom would have a reason to evict the tenant for breaking a building rule, or would it have to say all of these building rules in the lease?

If the condo can fine her, but she can't fine him, but evict him, could she claim the money out of the damage/security deposit?

Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #2
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You'd have to look at the condo bylaws - ours explicitly state no pets and there are also infractions that can result in fines. Are the enforceable? Again, depends on the bylaws, but condo corps may sue owners for not paying fines, depending on the amount. As for passing the fines onto the tenant, you'd have to read the lease. If she took a generic one, it may not cover this type of thing and she may be SOL.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm curious what makes a parking stall dirty. Or dirty enough to be fined for it.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
mustache ride
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm curious what makes a parking stall dirty. Or dirty enough to be fined for it.
My condo board has tried this on me several times. The day i took possesion after buying my last place, i received a letter in the mail threatening fines against me for a dirty stall. It looked no different than any of the stalls around but i swept it out and got it as clean as possible. Then i started recieving fines in the mail. I took pictures and call the management company and they kept saying they would take care of it. Next month, fine in the mail, over and over. Each time i would call the company they would pass me off to someone else until finally i think they got sick of me and the fines disappeared.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

If you dont pay a fine you will be stuck when selling the place. They will register it against title and it will prevent a clear estoppel certificate which will toss a huge speed bump in the sale.
Your lease should explain whether pets are allowed or not. If they are not and there is a fine for them allowing a pet then without question, fine is passed onto them.
Dirty parking stall, simply document with photos the cleanliness of your stall compared to others. I know a dirty stall has referred to more than just dirt and oil stains. They could be referring to items being stored in the space which is against the rules within many boards. If you are given a fine for no reason, show up at your next agm and make it public with your photos.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

In my opinion Condo Boards have far too much power to assess fines to a condo owner. Don't get me wrong, I understand that condos require a way to ensure the by-laws are insured, but it always seems so wishy-washy and unclear.

Case in point, my old condoboard tried to fine me for finding cigarette butts under my 2nd floor unit (Despite the fact that I don't smoke) and also fined me not booking the elevator when I moved in (missed that I had to book it when I bought the place).

It tends to be on the owner to go back and dispute it with the board, rather then the board to prove it was the owner. The fact they can put a lein on is also garbage without some kind of ruling in my opinion.

Hope your mom gets it sorted, but in my case I just paid the fines when I sold as it was too big a pain in the ass to try and fight them.