Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #141
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Ok but vendors were charging $25 for a Deep fried Turkey Leg...

$12 for some kinda pickle Juice lemonade...

Who's the crook again ???
Exactly. I know a family that has run one concession booth at the stampede for 30 years. If I told you their profit in a single 11 day period your jaw would drop.
If you remove 50% of the people and potentially 50% of their revenue, your jaw would still drop on their profitability over 11 days. They should be paying full price as a vendor.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Exactly. I know a family that has run one concession booth at the stampede for 30 years. If I told you their profit in a single 11 day period your jaw would drop.
If you remove 50% of the people and potentially 50% of their revenue, your jaw would still drop on their profitability over 11 days. They should be paying full price as a vendor.
I know waitresses at the various drinking venues.

Its...not an insignificant amount of money they make.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #143
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I also fell for the Stampede lottery scam and threw a bunch of money away on it.

I hope that Sunday encourages them to have a free day every year. I'm sure all the vendors appreciated the sudden influx last afternoon/night. The free day made it so that it looked like regular levels of attendance.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #144
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, that had to have been 90-100k there yesterday, no? Sure felt like it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #145
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Okay boomer.

Wow, you really got me there.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:24 PM   #146
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
They charged all of the vendors and sponsors full price, bunch of crooks tbh
Entering into a mutually agreed to contract? Yeah, somehow I don't see where the robbery occured.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #147
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I loathe 'Drinking Gardens' of any kind.

Why can I not purchase a beverage, amble about the grounds with it like a civilized human, consuming it at my leisure, and then purchase another when I want to?

You want to know why? Its the rest of you.
It’s the religious-fascist knobs that run the AGLC. Many countries get along just fine with looser alcohol restrictions
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #148
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't seem like there was much pushback from the AGLC when the province and Calgary decided to run their pilot programs for open drinking in the parks. They simply enforce the laws, no? So I would blame the elected officials. Otherwise, isn't this like blaming the police officer for giving you a ticket for speeding because you don't think there should be a speed limit on Deerfoot? Not really up to the officer to make that call.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM   #149
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t care who I have to blame, I’ll happily blame anyone in my path for Alberta’s draconian public drinking laws. It’s a nanny state.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #150
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My friends and I have always just drank wherever we want. I know that's not cool or anything, but it's not like we do it all the time on non-party nights. If we're walking to a bar, C-training to the Stampede, walking around Banff...whatever, we just drink as we go. I used to put beers in the drink holder of my mobility scooter and just toodle around drinking. Only one time did a cop ever hassle me, and he just dumped my beer. As soon as I was around the corner, I just opened another one from my pocket.

So yeah, it's "illegal," but really nobody cares. Same with cannabis. I'll just puff away wherever I am and have never been confronted. The "don't get fataed up" rules are just to give cops an excuse to legitimately investigate what you're up to if you're being a tit. If you're acting like a normal human being and having a beer, nobody cares.

I get that the midway is different, but I have those fake Coke beer wraps for those instances.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #151
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I used to put beers in the drink holder of my mobility scooter and just toodle around drinking.
Never change.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #152
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t care who I have to blame, I’ll happily blame anyone in my path for Alberta’s draconian public drinking laws. It’s a nanny state.
Um...

Elect Locke?

I'll let you drink wherever the hell you want.

- Public Park? Go for it.
- Crosswalk? Why are we even talking about this?
- Funeral? Give 'er.
- Jail? Sure. Why not? What do you have to lose?
- Maternity Ward? Have at 'er! What got you here in the first place?
- Solemn Religious Ceremony? A little booze never hurt anyone...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 03:20 PM   #153
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My friends and I have always just drank wherever we want. I know that's not cool or anything, but it's not like we do it all the time on non-party nights. If we're walking to a bar, C-training to the Stampede, walking around Banff...whatever, we just drink as we go. I used to put beers in the drink holder of my mobility scooter and just toodle around drinking. Only one time did a cop ever hassle me, and he just dumped my beer. As soon as I was around the corner, I just opened another one from my pocket.

So yeah, it's "illegal," but really nobody cares. Same with cannabis. I'll just puff away wherever I am and have never been confronted. The "don't get fataed up" rules are just to give cops an excuse to legitimately investigate what you're up to if you're being a tit. If you're acting like a normal human being and having a beer, nobody cares.

I get that the midway is different, but I have those fake Coke beer wraps for those instances.
I personally agree and have had many similar experiences, but it has come to my attention that this is certainly an element of privilege and that, just as an example, indigenous people do not have the same experiences.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #154
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I personally agree and have had many similar experiences, but it has come to my attention that this is certainly an element of privilege and that, just as an example, indigenous people do not have the same experiences.
Fata so true, eh. That was probably the whitest thing I could have said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #155
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Haha. I like how you live.

"#### it" is a good policy, as long as you say, you're not acting like a tit while doing it.

With some people as soon as a drop of liquor hits their tongue, they shout, curse, and just act all kinds of extra. I guess not all are cut out for that subtle consumption lifestyle.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #156
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been busted twice for open liquor. Once on Electric Ave back in the day. Once walking down a gravel road at night in a provincial campground. Fined both times. So it’s enforced, and not just on Indigenous people.

But our stupid laws aren’t an Alberta thing and they aren’t a religious thing. Ontario and B.C. are even worse than Alberta for regulations around alcohol. English Canada is just an uptight place, where we cede authority to anxious NIMBYs and self-appointed guardians of the public good.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:16 AM   #157
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I’ve been busted twice for open liquor. Once on Electric Ave back in the day. Once walking down a gravel road at night in a provincial campground. Fined both times. So it’s enforced, and not just on Indigenous people.

But our stupid laws aren’t an Alberta thing and they aren’t a religious thing. Ontario and B.C. are even worse than Alberta for regulations around alcohol. English Canada is just an uptight place, where we cede authority to anxious NIMBYs and self-appointed guardians of the public good.
Wow, that's nucking futs.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:45 PM   #158
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calgary Stampede linked to 71 COVID-19 cases
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote:
In a statement released Tuesday, the organization said the 71 cases represent an average of seven cases per day, or a total of 0.01 per cent of the 528,998 attendees.

“This year, our community celebration was the first step in the safe return of live events for our city and our country,” interim chief executive Dana Peers said in a statement.

“We believe Stampede 2021 was a success. We committed to operating safely, and these results show the effectiveness of the enhanced safety measures that were put in place.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #159
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, except for those 71 people - and anyone they came in contact with. Since they were comfortable attending Stampede, I doubt they were being cautious in other areas of their lives. And as everyone kept pointing out, Stampede is mostly outdoors. I wonder how many cases in the bars and party tents?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM   #160
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Calgary Stampede linked to 71 COVID-19 cases
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...?ocid=msedgntp
That's way lower than I would have thought to be honest.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote