Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #3021
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ I actually rode by myself ( saw several other solo riders) and I generally carry enough stuff to get out of most typical jams. A few years back I was riding in revelstoke at keystone standard basin and when we got to the hut, my rear hub melted down. Had to push my bike out 12k or so - although there was some downhill I could glide down.

I saw a rider on a gravel rig. Did not look comfortable - but it was a rougher section. A gravel rig would not be my choice of weapon for this ride, but that is me, and my mtn bike is my preferred ride.
Many years ago I had a major sidewall issue about 10km into the ride. Can't remember if I used a $20note or a Powerbar wrapper to plug the gash. But had to turn around and carefully ride back down.

I've easily done the route on MTB plus I can throw some wider tires on my gravel. Really the only concern area I have is off the top coming down that looooong downhill with all the loose rocks. Otherwise should be more than doable. I've set my gravel bike up with a carbon setback seatpost plus a Redshift suspension stem so that makes a massive difference. Gotta admit though that riding down Calgary's 12 mile coulee ravine is pretty rough on the bike, but otherwise I'm good on almost all smoother singletrack and gravel.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #3022
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I carry a tire booth and a tenner, for that purpose. But I also make sure when I ride alone to ride really conservatively, to avoid injury and unplanned mechanicals. To me the biggest danger on this trail is some of the bigger rocks getting kicked up into the rear mech.

I had to say I was impressed as I was heading out I passed two runners that were planning on running the whole loop. I am guessing they were looking at a 5 hour run which seems like a lot of work to me.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #3023
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I carry a tire booth and a tenner, for that purpose. But I also make sure when I ride alone to ride really conservatively, to avoid injury and unplanned mechanicals. To me the biggest danger on this trail is some of the bigger rocks getting kicked up into the rear mech.

I had to say I was impressed as I was heading out I passed two runners that were planning on running the whole loop. I am guessing they were looking at a 5 hour run which seems like a lot of work to me.
Having had more than my fair share of cycling related injuries I'm a little more conservative too now when riding w/ others, a definitely more when solo. Even still stuff happens occasionally. It's definitely made me more tentative/nervous though when riding places like WBC solo, which I rarely do anymore.

Yep that's a huge run IMO, but there are quite a few more ultra trail runners these days. I recall a few years back this lady running solo the Sulfur springs to Pneuma, to top of Moose Mountain, then down Razorback returning to the Sulfur parking lot. She never stopped her consistent pace and so, even on bikes, we were marginally faster than her. Very impressive. And we're pretty quick but I guess our frequent stops made all the difference.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #3024
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have ridden solo at lot at WBC, on a weekend morning, the only place i get nervous on would be ridgeback 4 near tom snow/mtn road. But telephone, long distance, reconnect, braggin, merlin all seem to get lots of traffic, so if you got hurt, i'd imagine you are laying there for maybe an hour at most before someone finds you (as long as say your bike is visible from the trail) - then maybe another hr to get medical help.

if you make a real wrong turn and ride off of a hill, then maybe u are in real trouble.

i too have played leapfrog with a couple of runners - i tried to decide if they were really fit, or i was in really bad shape.....
Old 07-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #3025
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any of you guys use a SPOT or similar GPS communicator for possible issues (injuries)? I definitely think about that riding WBC with very limited cell service.

I’ve been waffling one it, total waste of money until the day you need it, then it is priceless.

I used to do most of my riding alone, but now most of my mountain biking is with people, so a bit less of an issue. Though if someone went down, it could still be a while until you were able to contact help and get it out there.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #3026
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Any of you guys use a SPOT or similar GPS communicator for possible issues (injuries)? I definitely think about that riding WBC with very limited cell service.

I’ve been waffling one it, total waste of money until the day you need it, then it is priceless.

I used to do most of my riding alone, but now most of my mountain biking is with people, so a bit less of an issue. Though if someone went down, it could still be a while until you were able to contact help and get it out there.
I have an inReach for other mountain activities - multi-day backpacking trips, backcountry skiing, etc. Sometimes I throw it in my bag for WBC but to be honest there are enough other people on the trails there that I usually don't worry about it.

The inReach is nice because you have messaging functionality as well. Can message with friends & family for things like condition updates or to let them know that you're running late but OK. Also you can message with rescue so they know what kind of help you will need.

Totally worth it, but just so you know the satellite fees are truly outrageous.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #3027
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, it’s isn’t really the upfront cost that’s keeping me from doing it, it’s the ongoing subscription cost, day after day, month after month, year after year…..
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #3028
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tour de France.... prize money (final) broken down by person and team.
When compared to other professional sports this prize money is pitiful.
What's worse is the pro womens cycling only sees a fraction of this for their wages/winnings.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tou...riders-ranked/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 AM   #3029
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Winners are still going to be millionaires from sponsorships but most guys will retire or be let go from their team and head off to normal jobs. Pro cycling is still very much a passion job to do in their youth for most riders.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #3030
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone in the know if the pathway on the west side of the Bow around Heritage/Graves Bridge is ever planned to open back up? I remember reading somewhere this project was gonna be tied in with the Bonnybrook upgrades, but can't find anything on the city website about it anymore.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:38 PM   #3031
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

So is the smoke getting better or worse out that way? all the good suggestions on rides above got me motivated and I booked next week off, was going to pack up the bike and head to Calgary and Kelowna to hit a few trails but I'm wondering if it's a no go at this time. Final destination is Oliver for camping on the long weekend. That's dicey as there's a fire close.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM   #3032
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i would say that the smoke here i calgary this week has been non-existent. but that being said, it really does not bother me at all.

if you go to kelowna hit up smith creek as the trails there are nice.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #3033
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
^ i would say that the smoke here i calgary this week has been non-existent. but that being said, it really does not bother me at all.

if you go to kelowna hit up smith creek as the trails there are nice.
Things to check:
BC roads - there are a number of closures and restrictions due to major fires
Smoke and forecast -

http://aqicn.org/city/canada/alberta/calgary-central-2
http://aqicn.org/station/canada/summerland/bridgeman-rd
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #3034
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Olympic mens cycling just started on Sportsnet One. Sounds like a doozy of a course.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #3035
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, I could have puked today. After work I went to take my mtn for a spin, and I noticed my main pivot bolt was broken and I am heading to revelstoke next Saturday for vacation.

Took it down to the bike shop and surprisingly they did not have a bolt in stock - but the North store store supposedly has stock and I found a shop in Canmore that supposedly has it in stock.

So tomorrow I will ride the 1a and the make a couple of pit stops on my way home.

I am so stressed just thinking about this, as it would really wreck my vacation if I can’t ride.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #3036
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m in Revy now and it’s super Smokey here. Can barely see the resort mountain from the train museum. Just an FYI

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:47 AM   #3037
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Olympic mens cycling just started on Sportsnet One. Sounds like a doozy of a course.
The amount of commercial breaks is absolutely maddening.

Michael Woods in an excellent position with 35k to go. Pogacar also looking good.

Pretty wild to have this crazy of a climb 200k into the race.
Flabbibulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #3038
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I’m in Revy now and it’s super Smokey here. Can barely see the resort mountain from the train museum. Just an FYI
Woke up this morning in claresholm, ash on my car
Old 07-24-2021, 03:24 PM   #3039
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a great day to ride highway 1A. Had a tailwind on the way back.

Did 79.2kms - I was clearly to lazy to ride the additional 800m. Riding down by ver,Illinois lakes road, they had one of those speed signs up - I wish I would have got a picture of me doing 34 in a 30…..

Hopefully the cycling gods smile upon me and deliver my main pivot bolt for my mtn bike this week.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #3040
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So I'm a complete newbie with it comes to cycling. I'm looking for something to just ride along the bike paths with, most likely with my kids. Not looking to go to the mountains or anything like that although I would like the option to go on light trails that are not paved. So far it sounds like a hybrid bike might be my best option. Any suggestions as to where to go look and brands? Budget is around $1000.

Thanks!
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote