Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2020, 01:20 AM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

OK I am now on Podbean right here: https://mikegouldtalks.podbean.com/

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
^ Eric definitely has his #Takes but he's the nicest guy I've ever met in hockey (no exaggeration). He is such a kind man especially towards guys like me trying to get a foot in the door. He's the kind of guy who buys you a cup of tea before you even have a chance to get a word in edgewise. I quarrel with his hockey opinions more than perhaps any other Flames journalist (although, to be fair, Flames journalists are, on the whole, fantastic, Francis included) but he has a heart of gold and is downright hilarious. And I would say all the same things about Ryan Leslie – can't wait to get the chance to talk to him more. Can't thank them both enough for coming on the show and giving me a chance.
Scorp, just a few things.

- Thanks for posting the above. People love to post snarky things about Francis all day long but I learned more about him in your post than I ever knew before. Honestly aside from his takes on the arena issue which seemed a little one sided for my taste, I think he's pretty good.

- I'm not a podcast guy so I didn't give the full two hours a listen. I don't know if you want to parse out the hockey segment separately?

- Your interview of these guys was every bit as polished and informative as what I hear on sports radio, and in particular on 960. Frankly, probably better. I was really impressed and hope people in the "business" are listening.

- I had no idea Canadians were such chocolate bar aficionados. You should do a segment on donuts.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ Thanks so much for that feedback, it's so kind. Donuts would make for an excellent segment.

The reason the episode is so long just has to do with the pilot-y nature of it. I've gleaned quite a lot from doing it this way, gotten great analytics data about which parts of the show people listen to and which stuff doesn't do quite as well. That was a big part of the reasoning behind it. The sports segment has performed absurdly well in the analytics so far (driven, I imagine, by traffic from this site) so you can bet you'll be hearing more in the future. Much more.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #44
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never understood the hatred of Francis. I quite like him. Think he was made for media TV spots.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #45
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Scorp, just a few things.

- Thanks for posting the above. People love to post snarky things about Francis all day long but I learned more about him in your post than I ever knew before. Honestly aside from his takes on the arena issue which seemed a little one sided for my taste, I think he's pretty good.

- I'm not a podcast guy so I didn't give the full two hours a listen. I don't know if you want to parse out the hockey segment separately?

- Your interview of these guys was every bit as polished and informative as what I hear on sports radio, and in particular on 960. Frankly, probably better. I was really impressed and hope people in the "business" are listening.

- I had no idea Canadians were such chocolate bar aficionados. You should do a segment on donuts.
if you do a Donut segment, you must include Suzy Q's (you're still stuck in YOW right)?
Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #46
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
^ Eric definitely has his #Takes but he's the nicest guy I've ever met in hockey (no exaggeration). He is such a kind man especially towards guys like me trying to get a foot in the door. He's the kind of guy who buys you a cup of tea before you even have a chance to get a word in edgewise. I quarrel with his hockey opinions more than perhaps any other Flames journalist (although, to be fair, Flames journalists are, on the whole, fantastic, Francis included) but he has a heart of gold and is downright hilarious. And I would say all the same things about Ryan Leslie – can't wait to get the chance to talk to him more. Can't thank them both enough for coming on the show and giving me a chance.

We're all a bunch of jerks.
Except maybe Jermain Franklin.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #47
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

What I wouldn't do to have a beer with Jermain Franklin... seems like the coolest, most chill guy with some great stories.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #48
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice job Scorp! I really enjoyed the (hockey) conversation and I thought you carried it well.

If I were to summarize, it sounds like the writing is on the wall to remove Gaudreau this summer, re-sign one of our two high-profile UFAs on D, and keep our coach in-place. I don't necessarily agree with all of these, but it is great to hear the different thoughts around the table (especially from people that have direct insight on the team).

Keep up the good work and I sincerely hope you will be one of the voices for the Flames in the future!
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #49
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was amazing. Loved it. I always knew theScorp was cooler than all you guys.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #50
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Very good job. Long, certainly, but excellent stuff. If your future plan includes media work (which I think it does if I remember what you're going to school for?) then you are going to be just fine and I'm excited to see where you take it.

Maybe you can even start some threads now without people complaining!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #51
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Great podcast! Only listened to the hockey talk, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.
Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pellanor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #52
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Great listen Mike, really well done.

As we've discussed recently, I agree that Johnny's days are numbered. Maybe he plays out his contract here then leaves, or maybe we trade him for assets while we can.

Trading Gaudreau to Philly for an asset of some kind makes the most sense. Konecny is a guy I'd target for the Flames for many reasons, and Philly would need to move a larger contract to make room for Johnny long term. Or if not, shoot for Frost and a pick maybe.

I really don't agree with Francis that Tkachuk is unlikely to re-sign here either. I bet we lock him up longterm this time around.

My thinking is that we still sign Hall, as difficult as it may be to make work with the cap reduction from the original projections.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #53
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Also for all the talk about how Disney's Treasure Planet was a big box office bomb, it's actually a great hidden gem. Oscar nominated and positive critical reception. It's a pretty great and ambitious early combination of 3D CGI and traditional cell animation.

It was just skewered by Disney in marketing. They delayed it's release and then put it out at Christmas without any real marketing against the first Harry Potter film and another Disney release, The Santa Clause 2.

There's a great video essay about how Disney seems to have intentionally killed it (and traditional animation) here: https://youtu.be/b9sycdSkngA

Last edited by AC; 05-12-2020 at 03:35 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The talk about Gaudreau vs. Tkachuk re-signing is interesting. IMO there is about equal evidence out there as to either player wanting to re-sign and a lot comes down how badly you want to blow the bank for either player.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 04:02 PM   #55
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I'm quite picky about podcasts...not regarding the content but rather the voice.

I gotta say, you have a very soothing voice. Easy to listen to haha, great job on this!
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You are the first person in recorded history to ever say that. I'm flattered.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 04:10 AM   #57
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Just wanted to say thank you for all your guys' great comments and for listening and subscribing to the show. I've had hundreds of listens already and now have over 50 subscribers which is honestly unbelievable to me. I appreciate it so much.

Really optimistic about the next episode. I'm still hoping to land this incredibly cool guest.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #58
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Also for all the talk about how Disney's Treasure Planet was a big box office bomb, it's actually a great hidden gem. Oscar nominated and positive critical reception. It's a pretty great and ambitious early combination of 3D CGI and traditional cell animation.
The Oscar for best animated feature film is a joke. Voter's don't even bother watching the nominated films. I'm still choked that they nominated Boss Baby over A Silent Voice.

Not disagreeing about Treasure Planet being a hidden gem, just don't rely on the animate feature Oscar to determine if something's good.
Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #59
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great stuff. Honestly wouldn't believe that was your first podcast/interview.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #60
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

^ I have a background in journalism so I've interviewed a lot of people before but this was my first for a radio-type setting. It was a lot of fun.