Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #3721
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Corey Pronman's top 15:

1. Patrik Laine LW
2. Auston Matthews C
3. Jesse Puljujarvi RW
4. Clayton Keller C
5. Pierre-Luc Dubois C
6. Matthew Tkachuk LW
7. Alexander Nylander RW
8. Olli Juolevi D
9. Tyson Jost C
10. Dante Fabbro D
11. Jakob Chychrun D
12. Logan Brown C
13. German Rubstov C
14. Kieffer Bellows LW
15. Alex DeBrincat RW

Some other notes:
- Seemed like a coin flip between Dubois, Tkachuk, and Nylander at 5-7.
- No clear top defenceman. Likes Juolevi for his hockey sense and skating.
- Says Brown is a non-factor without the puck, doesn't engage the play enough defensively. Rumours that he doesn't have a good work ethic off the ice. If it wasn't for these negatives, he could have been top 5.

He says except for the first 3 players being above average, the 1st round is average. Says the depth rounds are below average.

Seems like a year where it's better to have quality picks rather than quantity.
Yeah this draft is just average past the top 3 like I said before. I don't think Dubois or Tkachuk are worth trading up for as a team like the Flames would be best served to take the BPA on their list and not over complicate things by considering a guy like Brown who looks like he could be boom or bust.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #3722
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Corey Pronman's top 15:

1. Patrik Laine LW
2. Auston Matthews C
3. Jesse Puljujarvi RW
4. Clayton Keller C
5. Pierre-Luc Dubois C
6. Matthew Tkachuk LW
7. Alexander Nylander RW
8. Olli Juolevi D
9. Tyson Jost C
10. Dante Fabbro D
11. Jakob Chychrun D
12. Logan Brown C
13. German Rubstov C
14. Kieffer Bellows LW
15. Alex DeBrincat RW
Very interesting list indeed. I'm curious why Sergachyev is missing though.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 AM   #3723
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sergachyov is at 17

Indicates that his defensive play and IQ aren't high end.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #3724
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know nothing about the player and maybe it's his name but I keep hearing debrincat's name. I hear it like I heard Brandon Saad's name in his draft year. Good 2nd round guy that maybe could turn out?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #3725
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

#6 + #35 + #54 to ARI for #7 + #22

Draft 6'6" 220lb C Logan Brown @ #7
Draft 6'4" 225lb RW Julien Gauthier @ #22
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #3726
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I know nothing about the player and maybe it's his name but I keep hearing debrincat's name. I hear it like I heard Brandon Saad's name in his draft year. Good 2nd round guy that maybe could turn out?
DeBrincat is an undersized winger, like Johnny undersized, but he's a righthanded shot and one of the most productive OHL players since he was sixteen. Pure skill kid. A year ago people thought he was just good because he played with McDavid, but even with McDavid gone his production hasn't fallen off. If he's there at 35 you IMO gotta take him even if it means trading Mangiapane away to avoid saturating the system with small players.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #3727
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Sure nice to see a pile of uncertainty starting at pick number four. Only two picks between that and Calgary, but a pretty good chance that the actual draft won't play out like the rankings have for the past few months.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #3728
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Sure nice to see a pile of uncertainty starting at pick number four. Only two picks between that and Calgary, but a pretty good chance that the actual draft won't play out like the rankings have for the past few months.
It's all in the hands of the scouting and management of the Canucks and Oilers. Really given the Flames situation of hoping one or two of the teams ahead of them pick the wrong guy I don't think they could hope for much better than have it be these two organizations.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #3729
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

New Redline Report top 10

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ings/84281936/

"The “other” debate centers around the top defenseman. And that’s a much tougher question to answer because there are five blueliners tightly bunched in the 6-12 range of our rankings —Jake Bean, Jakob Chychrun, Dante Fabbro, Mikhail Sergachev, and Olli Juolevi.

If you polled all 30 teams on the exact order, there probably wouldn’t be more than two or three lists in full agreement, and all five would likely garner at least one first-place vote."

"Rising:

Boris Katchouk (Sault Ste. Marie) — Perpetual motion machine plays with such energy and pace. Also drives opponents crazy with his agitating ways.

Tyson Jost (Penticton) — His domination of the field at the World U-18s was impressive, and his skating is top-notch. Should crack the top 10 now.

Logan Brown (Windsor) — Continues to grow, and at 6-6 he’s got all the offensive tools in the box — just needs to work on shooting more often.

Cliff Pu (London) — Injuries/suspensions provided him more offensive opportunities playing among the top-six in the playoffs, and his game picked up considerably.

Filip Gustavsson (Luleå Jr.) — We’re increasingly of the conviction that he will be the first goalie off the board in June. Completely transformed Team Sweden when he arrived midway through World U-18s.

Falling:

Jakob Chychrun (Sarnia) — There’s been some regression down the stretch, and he hasn’t put it all together quite as we expected to become the clear-cut No. 1 d-man.

Carter Hart (Everett) — His playoff performance wasn’t riveting, and has some worrisome technique flaws that won’t look better against pro shooters.

Dylan Wells (Peterborough) — We really like the big netminder's size/flexibility/athleticism quotient, but as team struggled down the stretch, he was part of the problem instead of the solution."

Another confirmation that the defensemen and Brown are going to be the real wildcards at the top end.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 05-12-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #3730
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's all in the hands of the scouting and management of the Canucks and Oilers. Really given the Flames situation of hoping one or two of the teams ahead of them pick the wrong guy I don't think they could hope for much better than have it be these two organizations.
I think there's a pretty good chance that a team other than the Oilers ends up drafting at #4. I think there's a chance they outright trade the pick in their trade for a defenseman and if they don't I think there's a decent chance they deal down.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #3731
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think there's a pretty good chance that a team other than the Oilers ends up drafting at #4. I think there's a chance they outright trade the pick in their trade for a defenseman and if they don't I think there's a decent chance they deal down.
Maybe but I'm not 100% convinced as I don't see a lot of teams dangling the type of top pairing defenseman they need and they traded the 13th and 36th overall picks last year for Reinhart in a deal that hasn't exactly been a resounding success so I wouldn't be surprised if they make the pick for the young asset.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-12-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #3732
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Says Brown is a non-factor without the puck, doesn't engage the play enough defensively. Rumours that he doesn't have a good work ethic off the ice. If it wasn't for these negatives, he could have been top 5.
This is a tough one because if it is his off-ice work ethic and his engage factor that are holding Brown back it makes him kind of interesting as those are things that can get better with age.

IIRC a lot of teams passed on Ryan Getzlaf in 2003 because he wasn't great defensively and didn't engage enough for his size at the time. Those criticisms both look silly now.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-12-2016 at 12:51 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #3733
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I don't understand why Julien Gauthier doesn't get rated higher. Everything I read about him is so positive...

Good size, high hockey IQ, great skater, very strong, high compete level, unreal shot, athletic genes, instinctive...

I wouldn't be upset to trade down a few spots for this kid.
Well for the first half of the year he scored a goal per game and was highly thought of.

Then he finished the year with something like 4 goals in 17 games and disappointed. And then he didn't have a strong playoffs and disappointed. And then you have his strange assist totals (or lack of them.)

Scouts don't like it when players go downhill over the course of the season. They prefer it when players improve over the course of the season. Regression can be worrying and a sign the prospect has stopped and slowed his development. You'd much rather take a guy who showed improvement in multiple areas. There are some questions on his hockey IQ, how much he drives the offence.

He's a guy you wouldn't mind trading up with your 2nds to get. But he's not a guy I'd be excited to trade down from #6 and grab. The players around the range of #6 are so much more attractive IMO.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #3734
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is a tough one because if it is his off-ice work ethic and his engage factor that are holding Brown back it makes him kind of interesting as those are things that can get better with age.

IIRC a lot of teams passed on Ryan Getzlaf in 2003 because he wasn't great defensively and didn't engage enough for his size at the time. Those criticisms both look silly now.

Burke drafted Getzlaf. His insight on Brown could be the the feather that tips the scale on him.

Personally I prefer born-with-a-motor players, they're less frustrating as a fan to watch. But you can't watch Brown play and not see the upside there. Just imagine if all he needs is to play beside Sam Bennett to "get it". We could have our own Perry and Getzlaf, except our Perry is the center (Bennett) and our Getzlaf is the winger (Brown).

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-12-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #3735
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

German Rubstov is by far the best name on that last.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #3736
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Burke drafted Getzlaf.
Nope.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #3737
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm starting to think we might draft Brown. I wouldn't love the pick TBH.

He has potential sure, but almost no mean streak to speak of and imo lacks intensity. Reminds me of another Spitfire Calgary took in the 1st round a bit in that regard, Greg Nemisz.

If that is indeed the route the Flames want to go I hope at least we can trade down first. A good target would be Arizona and Brown's linemate Christian Fischer. They have tons of chemistry together and while his ceiling is not as high, I think he can be a more effective pro than Logan will be.

Anyways there are a bunch of rumours the last 2 weeks that Clayton Keller is Windsor bound. We just got awarded the 2017 memorial cup and since it is highly unlikely he would play in college long enough to complete his degree, it makes sense to join the Spits for a couple years.

Anyways between Keller, Brown, Sergachev and Logan Stanley there is a decent chance I will be watching and reporting to you guys on our blue chippers progress next year.

cheers
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to druetetective For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #3738
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
I'm starting to think we might draft Brown. I wouldn't love the pick TBH.

He has potential sure, but almost no mean streak to speak of and imo lacks intensity. Reminds me of another Spitfire Calgary to in the 1st round a bit in that regard, Greg Nemisz.

If that is indeed the route the Flames want to g I hope at least we can trade down first. A good target would be Arizona and Brown's linemate Christian Fischer. They have tons of chemistry together and while his ceiling is not as high, I think he can be a more effective pro than Logan will be.

Anyways there are a bunch of rumours the last 2 weeks that Clayton Keller is Windsor bound. We just got the awarded the 2017 memorial cup and since it is highly unlikely he would play in college long enough to complete his degree, it makes sense to join the Spits for a couple years.

Anyways between Keller, Brown, Sergachev and Logan Stanley there is a decent chance I will be watching and reporting to you guys our blue chippers progress next year.

cheers
What have the Flames said to let you believe that Brown is their guy? Or any player for that matter. Everything that is leading you to believe Brown is a top 5 pick is fans on a forum aping lists conjured up by media types "polling NHL scouts" and averaging things out. Even then the only person who I see as really high on Brown...like Pierre Maguire loving Phaneuf level of hype is Craig Button. It's as out of line as the McKeens guy putting McLeod 3rd on their list.

What I love about this iteration of Flames management is that they're steel traps and only let Conroy off the leash when they feel comfortable they're not giving too much away.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #3739
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
What have the Flames said to let you believe that Brown is their guy? Or any player for that matter. Everything that is leading you to believe Brown is a top 5 pick is fans on a forum aping lists conjured up by media types "polling NHL scouts" and averaging things out. Even then the only person who I see as really high on Brown...like Pierre Maguire loving Phaneuf level of hype is Craig Button. It's as out of line as the McKeens guy putting McLeod 3rd on their list.

What I love about this iteration of Flames management is that they're steel traps and only let Conroy off the leash when they feel comfortable they're not giving too much away.

I think it's the questionable equation that Craig Button equals Todd Button.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #3740
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Burke drafted Getzlaf.
Getzlaf was drafted in 2003. Burke was still in Vancouver in 2003.

Tags
2016 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft