Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Big Ern learns to Ski - bump for Snowy Strong

Thought I would share this. Was out at Winsport (still Paskapoo to me) the other Monday with a good friend that is working with Brian McGrattan to bring Snow Skates in through the Ski Cellar. Not that I've met a lot of Flames players, but Brian was one of the nicest and funniest that I've ever met.

He had never skied before and was trying out the Snow Skates. Got to say, he was pretty brave for a guy that had never even stepped near a ski hill before. Here is a video that Mike Lownsbrough(!) helped the Ski Cellar put together. (Mike is also an interesting guy!)

Fair warning upfront, the video is promotional. I made sure the mods were ok with that in advance. What I really want is to get permission to post some bloopers. I think Brian may have put some up on his twitter feed last week though. If he doesn't, I think a couple of his buddies that were there are going to!

Anyway, kind of fun video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zogfueskkr...Brian.mp4?dl=0

------

Bumping this to post a fund raiser Brian McGrattan did with some Flames alumni and media. The funds are for Snowy Strong, and the original plan was to have a day on the hill Sled Dogging and racing against some fans, but because of Covid they had to cancel the participation part and just do some video. With luck, they can redo an event next season when the world opens back up. For those interested, here is the link to a video on fundraiser page.

https://go.dojiggy.io/7a4279?ReturnU...9%2FPageDesign

Last edited by Vox; 04-10-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

ha - cool!!!

i've never skied or snowboarded either. a number of years ago my wife took her grade 7 class on a ski-day (up one of the local hills here in kelowna) and i went too.

i attempted to snowboard and absolutely hated it and took the board back after finally getting down the hill once. the guy at the rental shop asked me if i knew how to skate and i said yes. he said 'try these' and handed me a set of snow blades (i think that's what they were called). i had a blast - it was like skating down hill.... so much fun on the runs that were 'packed down' (sorry... not up on my ski terminology). the only down with them was they didn't perform well in any substantial powder.... they were too short (not enough surface area) and i'd just sink down.

these look to be along the same lines... except even shorter. i think the snow blades i used were about 2' long. i think the snow skates would be a ton of fun to try.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
ha - cool!!!

i've never skied or snowboarded either. a number of years ago my wife took her grade 7 class on a ski-day (up one of the local hills here in kelowna) and i went too.

i attempted to snowboard and absolutely hated it and took the board back after finally getting down the hill once. the guy at the rental shop asked me if i knew how to skate and i said yes. he said 'try these' and handed me a set of snow blades (i think that's what they were called). i had a blast - it was like skating down hill.... so much fun on the runs that were 'packed down' (sorry... not up on my ski terminology). the only down with them was they didn't perform well in any substantial powder.... they were too short (not enough surface area) and i'd just sink down.

these look to be along the same lines... except even shorter. i think the snow blades i used were about 2' long. i think the snow skates would be a ton of fun to try.
Similar in some ways. They're designed for skaters, and I was shocked how a reasonable skater could master the slopes in one or two runs. Groomed runs are no problem, but stay out of the 3 foot powder! Big Ern joked he is a "figure skater" (his words, I'm not brave enough to say that to him on my own) post Blades of Glory, and was even doing pirouettes down the hill!

I had a pair to try, but accidentally grabbed two left boots so I didn't get a shot. Really want to get back up their and try a pair. I'm pretty good on 195cm skis, so this will be an experience! I quit hockey to ski a long time ago, and am dying to get my kids out on the slopes. The littlest one refuses, but he loves skating, so I'm hoping to use these to lure him out!!

Last edited by Vox; 01-27-2020 at 11:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty cool. But aren’t these just an update of Super Slider Sno Skates?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Pretty cool. But aren’t these just an update of Super Slider Sno Skates?

Haven't hought of these things in probably 30 years. I had some. My friends and I only used them to tow each other around on dirt bikes on back country roads. Ha, good times.

Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #6
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bumping this to post a fund raiser Brian McGrattan did with some Flames alumni and media. The funds are for Snowy Strong, and the original plan was to have a day on the hill Sled Dogging and racing against some fans, but because of Covid they had to cancel the participation part and just do some video. With luck, they can redo an event next season when the world opens back up. For those interested, here is the link to a video on fundraiser page.

https://go.dojiggy.io/7a4279?ReturnU...9%2FPageDesign