Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Saltless water softener

Has anyone had a saltless water softener installed? We are tired of the effects of the hard water in Calgary, but don't want to deal with the salt ones and the required filters and salt that come with them. My father in law did some research into the best ones and the one should by Watts sounds like a good one. I can't seem to find who installs those however and dive really want to deal with installing it myself.. So can anyone give some recommendations on saltless water softeners or others to consider?
Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're not completely snake oil, but generally, it is a totally different output than you get with salt based softeners. Key is to understand what you're buying and if it meets your needs. Many people fall for the marketing 'wank' and are disappointed in the results.

Salt-free isn't softening, it is just conditioning (tweaks the Calcium and Magnesium to reduce effects). You get some of the benefits at a limited amount. I'd consider it like getting 30% of the net benefit of softened water (basically just less build up of scale), at a much higher price, but much less ongoing effort. Depends how much you hate refilling the salt tank with a couple bags every 4-5 months. My view is that the negatives of ongoing salt-refilling are worth the net benefits of actual soft water (better detergent effect, even less buildup, soft water feel, lower initial cost)

Last edited by Ducay; 01-25-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if you've had one before or not but salt is definitely not a big deal. I bet I add no more than a couple bags a year.

Mind you that's only for two of us, but also a daughter who I'm sure must must shower three times a day...don't even get me started on the laundry end of things .
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My mom has one and I don’t buy into the hype. It was expensive to install and there definitely seemed to be some snake oil when it came to who could do the install. We live in the same community as her and use salt with no issues.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote