Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default Far Infrared Heating

Does anyone have any experience with this heating system? It is a lot more common in Europe, but I am working with a company that is bringing this to the North American market.

Interested to hear if anyone has any experience or has even heard about it.

Quote:
Scientific exploration and testing over the past century has provided us with the evidence of what far infrared heat is, and how the far infrared energy “light” passes through the air. Because of its wavelength, far infrared waves travel around the air molecule; it has virtually no ability to collide with and excite the air molecules. Because it is able to travel through the air, the Far infrared waves will collide with any surfaces they encounter, and this in turn is able to warm up these surfaces, people, and/or animals within the space. Far infrared heating is the most efficient way of “heating”.
https://infraredheat.ca/far-infrared-vs-fake-infrared/
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

From various building science courses, I know that is very efficient because it doesn't heat the air, only bodies/objects.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but this has been around in North America for a long time in the form of in-floor hydronic heating etc...
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this heating system? It is a lot more common in Europe, but I am working with a company that is bringing this to the North American market.

Interested to hear if anyone has any experience or has even heard about it.

https://infraredheat.ca/far-infrared-vs-fake-infrared/
I followed the link you provided and it seemed sketchy at best. Not saying they do not work but still sketchy. The link seems sketchy! Not you!

Lots of info on youtube as well.

I would love to hear others chime in on this. There are a lot of heaters on the market.

I use an oscillating electric heater in the basement of my home. It is simple and it works.

I have never used an infrared heater. Can some people give us some knowledge with this? Not the science, do they work?
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #4
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
I followed the link you provided and it seemed sketchy at best. Not saying they do not work but still sketchy. The link seems sketchy! Not you!

Lots of info on youtube as well.

I would love to hear others chime in on this. There are a lot of heaters on the market.

I use an oscillating electric heater in the basement of my home. It is simple and it works.

I have never used an infrared heater. Can some people give us some knowledge with this? Not the science, do they work?
It's what most community arenas use to heat the spectators, as it warms people, but doesn't warm the air and negatively affect the ice.
Similarly, Calgary transit uses them in some shelters on lrt platforms (in the core at least).
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

We use it at our golf club and it is awesome.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 PM   #6
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had radiant heat in my woodwork shop and didn’t like it because it dried the wood unevenly- causing warpage.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I worked for a company called Sunlighten for years. They produce far infrared saunas. I sold them, gave lectures on infrared technology and worked with the engineers who made the heaters for them. I own a Sublighten far infrared sauna. I could talk about the technology for hours, how it works, what your body does when you get in one, how they are different. Etc PM me if you have any specific questions. This technology is a beacon of hope for curing so many ailments and conditions and I can’t say enough about them.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #8
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tube heaters work on this principle. They’re typically used in large volume spaces like garage or warehouse to heat surfaces and objects effectively but it can be uneven.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And from what I understand there are materials being researched that would allow bodies to reject heat at specific wavelengths using a similar principle, which would aid in building cooling.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote