Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #41
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Nm.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one is difficult to breakdown IMO.

Overall I could actually see Gritty doing it, it's part of his act at this point. But I also don't think he would cause significant damage and anything he would have done would have been in a playful way.

Plus the reports of this whole thing feels a little fishy.

Reports were he initially talked about having a great time at the event, then that evolved to complaining about the quality of the photo, to then complaining that his son was punched in the back even though nobody else has been able to corroborate that claim.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Honestly, I believe him or at the very least believe that the dad believes it happened. Maybe the intent was playful but depth perception is hard in those things, or maybe the person in the Gritty suit just had enough with fans messing with him. Maybe the 13 year old exaggerated the injury.

But the fact the dad has sought out the video, asked for witnesses, tried to receive an apology for more than a month, and then went to the police now. Those are actions of someone who believes he was right in my opinion. And on the other side, the Flyers offering him some really sweet perks (of course not admitting fault) wouldn't want to be a precedence the set for people they believe are blackmailing the team...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMother View Post
If you search the Dad's name on facebook it seems pretty clear that he's trying to pull off a scam, and he's not very good at it.

He attended the event with thousands of others and to this point there doesn't happen to be anyone else who witnessed it.

After the event he made his profile picture a picture from the event which features Gritty, his kid, and himself. After the event he also posted numerous photos with the heading "Flyer's autograph party and skate. It was a great day with my little guy". 2 months later he makes these claims of the assault.

He has continued going to Flyer's games up until this point.
Gritty vs. Kid

Oling vs. His Mother?

We need a Thunderdome....stat!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #44
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMother View Post
2 months later he makes these claims of the assault.
Well that post shown is December 5, 2019. Less than a week after the photoshoot.

Sounded like he made the accusation and both wanted witnesses and videos quickly after the alleged incident. I haven't seen anything else outside of this thread, so maybe you're right, but either one of those would have destroyed his case if it didn't happen.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #45
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Well that post shown is December 5, 2019. Less than a week after the photoshoot.

Sounded like he made the accusation and both wanted witnesses and videos quickly after the alleged incident. I haven't seen anything else outside of this thread, so maybe you're right, but either one of those would have destroyed his case if it didn't happen.
It didn't happen though, nobody else saw it. So ya, kind of destroyed his case. Not only that but everybody videos their kids on their phones for anything nowadays, I know I do. So he didn't? Seems weird.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #46
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

He also claimed Gritty punched his son in the back as hard as he could. I am pretty sure if a big grown man punches a 13 year old in the back as hard as he can that is going to create a hell of a show. The kid would drop, people would be freaking out and yet nobody saw this? Come on...
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #47
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He also claimed Gritty punched his son in the back as hard as he could. I am pretty sure if a big grown man punches a 13 year old in the back as hard as he can that is going to create a hell of a show. The kid would drop, people would be freaking out and yet nobody saw this? Come on...
If a full grown man in a mascot suit punched my kid (or many others on this board I would guess) in the back as hard as they could, you're GD right there would be a show.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #48
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It didn't happen though, nobody else saw it. So ya, kind of destroyed his case. Not only that but everybody videos their kids on their phones for anything nowadays, I know I do. So he didn't? Seems weird.
That's pretty much the exact argument the dad has though. "Every else had cameras but not this one specific area where it happened."

The guy asked for video, asked for witnesses, clearly indicating as much as possible to help get witnesses. I mean if fans #83 and #84 came in and said, "Yeah, we were there. Nothing happened except your kid slapping Gritty around." Then there goes that, but he still went looking for them.

I see it akin to a traffic accident where the person who's looking for cameras, asking for witnesses, and going to the police, probably thinks they were in the right. But instead of damage to a car, you got a 13 year old boy who was probably trying to get a day off school cause "his back was sore."

Also, yeah, I obviously don't believe that Gritty went full on Ivan Drogo vs Apollo Creed on the kid. But it is Philly.

If the guy is making it entirely up, then I hope the police charge him for falsifying a police report. But based on actions (in this thread), I think he thinks it happened. But probably closer to Gritty being Gritty and taking a little shot at a 13 year old who was annoying him because that's pretty much Gritty's schtick. If anything, I'm shocked that no one came forward and said they saw Gritty 'hit' a fan because he probably did it about 1000 times that day, or headlocked them and gave them a noogy, or any other jokingly physical assault that the fans would have loved and asked for.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 01-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #49
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
If a full grown man in a mascot suit punched my kid (or many others on this board I would guess) in the back as hard as they could, you're GD right there would be a show.
I'm not sure I would characterize the type of person that usually ends up in a mascot suit as a "full grown man".

Anyway, this incident has really cemented Gritty's street cred.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

One person would have seen it at least - the mascots always have a handler. And if a kid got hurt, even accidentally, there would be a fuss.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #51
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the thing that stood out to me the most
I wanted to believe the Dad, but reading about it now... yikes...

Quote:
As Brandon walked away, Gritty got out of his chair, “took a running start," and “punched my son as hard as he could," Greenwell said Wednesday.
But no witnesses ....whaaaaa?

But then...
Quote:
After the alleged punch, Greenwell emailed officials at Comcast Spectacor, first complaining of the “lousy picture” with the mascot who didn’t look at the camera. Then he raised the “more serious and disappointing” concern.

“I know it was not correct for my son to harmlessly tap him on his head but for a Flyers employee to get [sic] throw a full punch at someone with his back turned and hurt a 13 year old boy is assault, unprofessional and unacceptable for your organization,” he wrote.
...which is an odd way to approach their mascot taking a running punch at your child. I think that would have been handled right on the spot if I witnessed it. Odd that a bunch of PEOPLE FROM PHILLY didn't have any response or seem to notice the assault... and that it was item #2 in his concerns with Gritty...

His specific requests from the Flyers for violently assaulting his child also seem a bit light if I'm honest
Quote:
Greenwell suggested the Flyers show his son on the giant scoreboard or let him into the locker room to meet players and get autographs. The company offered to sit Brandon on the players’ bench during warm-ups before a future game.
...and things were going fine between him and the Flyers re: compensation until...
Quote:
The email exchange soured when Greenwell and Kleinman disagreed on what was said during a December phone call. Greenwell claimed Kleinman told him that Gritty admitted he hit Brandon. Kleinman denied saying that.

To me, the Flyers response I've seen was as PR-speak 'ok dude...' as you can get...
Quote:
“I have investigated your allegations and cannot identify anyone who witnessed the incident as you described it,” wrote Laurie Kleinman, vice president of risk management at Comcast Spectacor, in a Dec. 5 email to Greenwell. “It is unfortunate that you and your son had a bad experience at our Gritty Photo Event. Therefore, we are offering an opportunity to discuss a creative way to restore your son’s love of the Philadelphia Flyers.”
We can't find anything or anyone to verify that your son was the victim of a flying assault from an adult - but we're sorry you had a bad time

Let's a) end this e-mail chain and b) keep a fan happy

Pretty tough to defend the guy...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I'm not sure I would characterize the type of person that usually ends up in a mascot suit as a "full grown man".

Anyway, this incident has really cemented Gritty's street cred.
Uhhh....I think you might be surprised on that score....but then again, arguing mental state...it could go both ways.

As noted though, I think its preposterous to claim that a dude in a mascot suit somehow managed to ragdoll some kid with haymakers in an enormous crowd.

I dont think an MMA fighter could put much force through a mascot's fluffy, comedic clown-mitts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #53
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I call bull####.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I call bull####.
I dont have a dog or....well, whatever kind of horrific monster Gritty is, in this fight, but it doesnt seem particularly plausible that events played out as claimed.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:26 PM   #55
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Gritty requires his own secret service agent is hilarious and sad.

Quote:
“I know it was not correct for my son to harmlessly tap him on his head but for a Flyers employee to get [sic] throw a full punch at someone with his back turned and hurt a 13 year old boy is assault, unprofessional and unacceptable for your organization,” he wrote.
Translation: the kid konked Gritty on the head. Gritty gave him the "you want a piece of me?" shove.

If the dad were a true Philadelphian, he would have gone Ace Ventura on that mascot.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #56
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Translation: the kid konked Gritty on the head. Gritty gave him the "you want a piece of me?" shove.

If the dad were a true Philadelphian, he would have gone Ace Ventura on that mascot.
Negative, I refer back to my Godzilla Gif. A true Philadelphian would let the event play out and let the best man win, loser pays for beers as they joke about it afterwards.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #57
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That kid must have done something horrible to Gritty for him to react that way.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #58
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #59
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Negative, I refer back to my GodzillaGif. A true Philadelphian would let the event play out and let the best man win, loser pays for beers as they joke about it afterwards.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Pretty much exactly like that.

Tags
bring back scorch , edmonton is no good