Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having these young defensemen all grow together would be a beautiful thing for this organization. Hopefully they all continue their trends.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #22
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Kylington's game. I am also impressed at how he is doing physically - he is battling and pushing guys off the puck more regularly. Kid always had a really high ceiling, but a really low floor. That floor has taken a quick elevator ride up a few stories at least this season.

Also, he was ranked as the #2 prospect going into his draft year on a couple of notable lists that I saw. He fell throughout the year, but I think a lot of him falling was also a consequence from not finding a definitive role on his team, and being shuffled between 3 (or was it 4?) teams that year. Hard to get any consistency and development when you are being shuffled around so much.

Every single year since the draft he has been improving on his weaknesses - his defensive acumen - and I really trust him out there right now. His skating is absolutely glorious, and I have seen him make the odd mistake and still got back to recover.

It is one of the bright spots this season watching him progress. I have no idea where he tops out at. I also think he has an underrated shot - when he gets it off, it is surprisingly heavy.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #23
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Having these young defensemen all grow together would be a beautiful thing for this organization. Hopefully they all continue their trends.
4. Andersson, Valimaki, Kylington and Hanifin. All the same age group. It's kind of awesome.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #24
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #25
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
You wrote the exact same message an hr and a half apart..

You went to watch the fights and got drunk and forgot didn’t you?

Hahah
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 PM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I love Kylington's game. I am also impressed at how he is doing physically - he is battling and pushing guys off the puck more regularly. Kid always had a really high ceiling, but a really low floor. That floor has taken a quick elevator ride up a few stories at least this season.

Also, he was ranked as the #2 prospect going into his draft year on a couple of notable lists that I saw. He fell throughout the year, but I think a lot of him falling was also a consequence from not finding a definitive role on his team, and being shuffled between 3 (or was it 4?) teams that year. Hard to get any consistency and development when you are being shuffled around so much.

Every single year since the draft he has been improving on his weaknesses - his defensive acumen - and I really trust him out there right now. His skating is absolutely glorious, and I have seen him make the odd mistake and still got back to recover.

It is one of the bright spots this season watching him progress. I have no idea where he tops out at. I also think he has an underrated shot - when he gets it off, it is surprisingly heavy.
Yes - the progression in physical play is what I’ve noticed about Kylington. It’s not big hits but as you say, pushing guys off pucks and not being pushed off the puck himself. He needed to get stronger and he has.

I think his offensive talents need opportunities (offensive zone starts with offensive players) but he needs to be more aggressive offensively - get shots through, jump up and create chances.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:26 PM   #27
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes - the progression in physical play is what I’ve noticed about Kylington. It’s not big hits but as you say, pushing guys off pucks and not being pushed off the puck himself. He needed to get stronger and he has.

I think his offensive talents need opportunities (offensive zone starts with offensive players) but he needs to be more aggressive offensively - get shots through, jump up and create chances.
I think he will be more assertive offensively as the coaching staff starts to trust him more.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #28
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Is Kylington comparable to DeAngelo in New York?
[
Both fell in the draft for "personality" reasons, and both play a similar style. DeAngelo is a couple years older, it would be great if Kylington could follow his progression
No Kylington is black and DeAngelo is said to be against such....

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 01-18-2020 at 11:50 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #29
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #30
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

He has really looked a lot better in his own end the last 3 or 4 weeks for sure. More confident with the puck and instead of "thinking" the game he is just playing it. That's a good sign and natural progression you want to see.

Offensively he has a lot of room to grow but that will come with time and playing the right way in his own end. He is also a bit more physical than he has shown in the past which can only be a good thing as well.

If he was a RH shot he would be cemented in for next year, but there is a hell of a log jam on the left side with, Gio, Hanifin, and Valimaki all likely ahead on the depth chart as things sit now.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed more consistently good play in his own zone for sure, but I also notice times where he's hemmed in regularly. To be expected from a young defenseman I guess, but I'm not ready for him to be any higher than a 3rd pairing d-man in terms of ice time.

The physical side is better for sure, and I think he's adequate finally against NHL players in that regard. He's never going to be the guy clearing the net, but neither is Brodie and he's been a very good defenseman over his career.

The one complaint I have is how he doesn't back in with speed against quick forwards. He ends up turning around a lot and daring them to go around him. His speed makes up for this, but then he's facing the wrong way to defend after the rush and it will lead to problems if he doesn't change it. Back in with speed so you can stop and head the other direction should the puck turn over. If you always have to turn around to defend, you're never in a good position to use your speed and skating to get an offensive chance the other way. That's how he can be most effective with his skillset.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington becoming an everyday NHL defenseman is critical to this team’s progress. You can’t always trade draft picks for players and moving a D for some type of asset (picks or players) is a way to reshape the team a little.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #33
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I've noticed more consistently good play in his own zone for sure, but I also notice times where he's hemmed in regularly. To be expected from a young defenseman I guess, but I'm not ready for him to be any higher than a 3rd pairing d-man in terms of ice time.

The physical side is better for sure, and I think he's adequate finally against NHL players in that regard. He's never going to be the guy clearing the net, but neither is Brodie and he's been a very good defenseman over his career.

The one complaint I have is how he doesn't back in with speed against quick forwards. He ends up turning around a lot and daring them to go around him. His speed makes up for this, but then he's facing the wrong way to defend after the rush and it will lead to problems if he doesn't change it. Back in with speed so you can stop and head the other direction should the puck turn over. If you always have to turn around to defend, you're never in a good position to use your speed and skating to get an offensive chance the other way. That's how he can be most effective with his skillset.
I forget who he reeled in coming off the bench to break up a break away against T.O but, I dont care if he turns around to keep pace with a fw. He gets ahead of them every time. It's not some fluke either. Hes caught and bodied so many players off pucks while chasing them down recently that it's actually quite amazing. It's not from him being put of position either, hes bailing put other team mates.

Point is, Kylington doesnt give up on defensive play. Because he knows he can catch anyone and make a play.

Heck, again I forget who it was against bit he turned on the afterburners to get to get his stick on a players stick just as he shot but the puck still went in off Gaudreau. Against MTL?

He had no business being in the same area code on that play. But there he was.

What's been great about him is if he does get turned around, hes learned how to angle players off their drive to the net. It's quite impressive.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #34
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kylington > Fox
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Kylington > Fox
No...not even remotely in the same conversation unfortunately.

I get that as a collective we don't like the guy for legit reasons.

He is a really good player already though.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #36
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always wanted to keep Kylington as I see a ton of upside in him. He's needed some time to develop his play in the defensive zone given his small stature and he's been steadily progressing. I think he'll always be at a disadvantage given he'll usually be beat in the size department but if he continues to work on positioning, gap control and an active stick, his speed and smarts should balance things out.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #37
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still see Kylington as the Brodie replacement in the lineup. I think that he has a very similar skill set and could achieve the same level of success if given opportunity. This is probably the biggest reason I would move Brodie in a trade and be more likely to keep Hamonic is the numbers make sense. Having replacement players in the wings makes it much easier to deal a body. Unfortunately we don't have another Hamonic in the system. Kylington does appear to be able to make Brodie expendable.

I look at the system and I'm hesitant to say there are many replacements in the wings. If the Flames deal away Gaudreau that may open up a spot for Phillips and give him a chance to play in the NHL for the Flames. Gawdin and Tuulola may get a chance because of the lack of right shooters on the team. Maybe Philip gets a shot when Ryan moves on? He's another small guy on a team with too many small players. After that, not sure I see may opportunities ahead for the players on the farm. Thankfully we have four young blueliners, including Kylington, who all have top four potential, so the blueline looks reasonable. We are very luck in that regard. We just need help at every other position.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #38
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Kylington > Fox
I wouldn’t go that far. Maybe in the long run, who knows. Fox is a great player and is also doing very well in his first year, 26 pts, while being +9. I hope they both have great careers, as I have no ill will towards Fox.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #39
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Good observation. I wonder if a trial at RD would be a way to help break that habit? Obviously harder to defend after turning around on your weak side (greater penalty risk too) - though he would be set to turn inward on a turnover.

Seems like all the more reason to me to trade at least one of Brodie/Hamonic, especially if you think Valimaki could be back this year.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #40
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Good observation. I wonder if a trial at RD would be a way to help break that habit? Obviously harder to defend after turning around on your weak side (greater penalty risk too) - though he would be set to turn inward on a turnover.

Seems like all the more reason to me to trade at least one of Brodie/Hamonic, especially if you think Valimaki could be back this year.
If you’re like me and want to keep all 4 of the young dmen, one of them will have to learn to play on the right side.

I also think it would be a mistake to not move one of Hamonic/Brodie before the TDL.

There are only 4 top two pairing spots and starting next season you probably want Andersson playing there full time.