Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #541
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

17 Forwards have a cap hit north of 9M in the league right now. That number is only going up. There is no way that Hall will sign for less then that.

Right now there are 4 LW ( according to cap friendly) making more than 9M

1. Artemi Panarin
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Jamie Benn
4. Jeff Skinner

RW there are 5.

1. Mitchell Marner
2. Patrick Kane
3. Mark Stone
4. Nikita Kucherov
5. Mikko Rantanen

there are 8 centres who have a cap hit of 9M.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #542
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really it only is worth it to overpay a generational winger like Ovechkin as centers should be getting the big money. Panarin, Benn (already looking bad), and Skinner aren't going to end up good deals at all.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #543
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Bob Stauffer of the Oilers media said to keep an eye on Calgary, St. Louis, Colorado, and Arizona.

Nothing really new, but CGY mentioned again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #544
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there anyone the Flames can go after next year or is Hall pretty much it for the Johnny getting paid /Gio getting old window?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #545
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Really it only is worth it to overpay a generational winger like Ovechkin as centers should be getting the big money. Panarin, Benn (already looking bad), and Skinner aren't going to end up good deals at all.
lol I had completely forgotten that Jeff Skinner got an 8 year, $9 million AAV contract.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #546
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
17 Forwards have a cap hit north of 9M in the league right now. That number is only going up. There is no way that Hall will sign for less then that.

Right now there are 4 LW ( according to cap friendly) making more than 9M

1. Artemi Panarin
2. Alex Ovechkin
3. Jamie Benn
4. Jeff Skinner

RW there are 5.

1. Mitchell Marner
2. Patrick Kane
3. Mark Stone
4. Nikita Kucherov
5. Mikko Rantanen

there are 8 centres who have a cap hit of 9M.

Well, hopefully GMs learn some lessons from these contracts.

Some of those LWs are looking bad:
Benn has 16 points in 34 games, and 5 years left at 9.5. Ouch
Jeff Skinner is at 18 points in 34 games. His career best was 63 points last year albeit with 40 being goals. Still seemed high on signing and isn’t looking like value off the hop

Then you have some others like Patrick Kane. He delivers value for money individually, but this contract was signed long ago in concert with the Toews deal and spelled the end of the Hawks’ competitive window. The cap has finally risen to where they may be able to theoretically work with these deals, you could argue, but Chicago is having a really rough year

Likewise, Marner joins 2 other guys where the 3 of them eat up 33 million, so you have to consider how the deal fits in a team structure, in terms of who gets paid, and how you ice the rest of the team

I like Brad’s (what appears to be) pragmatism more than I like Hall north of 9. Because that becomes a horse to which you are hitching your wagon
Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #547
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Is there anyone the Flames can go after next year or is Hall pretty much it for the Johnny getting paid /Gio getting old window?
Next year and the year after are pretty weak on the UFA front, but their is also an expansion draft at the end there, so that could mean a lot of significant player movement.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #548
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
It's Hall or bust, if we're actually considering taking a run with the Gio/Johnny core.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #549
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

People are talking about our window like the time is now. I see it different. I think our next window is going to be better with a Tkachuck in his prime, and our young D hitting their prime. Id rather be building towards that next window that throwing a bunch of assets at taylor hall. trade out one of hamonic or brodie, maybe another guy for picks. not subtract.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #550
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
People are talking about our window like the time is now. I see it different. I think our next window is going to be better with a Tkachuck in his prime, and our young D hitting their prime. Id rather be building towards that next window that throwing a bunch of assets at taylor hall. trade out one of hamonic or brodie, maybe another guy for picks. not subtract.
I want a cup now. I want Bettman to hand it to Gio.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #551
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stone was more expensive acquisition wise because he came with an extension where as Hall sounds (for now) to be more in the rental category

So acquire him as a rental, see how it plays out this season and then make the tough ugly decision next offseason.

The tough decision would be paying Hall huge money and then either trading Gaudreau for assets or treating him as an own rental and then letting him potentially walk. Even then seems like both will be hard to fit cap wise both this year and next.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #552
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Steinberg says he believes the Flames are in the mix but has no idea to what extent.

So, really, nothing new or Earth shattering here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #553
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Double post
Old 12-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #554
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im thinking Hall is a Flame by the end of week.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #555
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree with folks that say the Flames "missed the boat" with Stone.

He was a pending UFA, and was he likely to sign an extension in Calgary? I honestly thought we might have a shot at him as a UFA, but he wasted no time extending in Vegas. I don't think we ever had a shot, and how stupid would Treliving look if he had dealt Valimaki for 2.5 months of Stone, and let's face it...Stone doesn't save the Flames from the dismantling they received from Colorado.

(I've said this too many times on here, but the player Treliving really missed out on was ROR, prime age for matching our core, signed long term at what we now know is a sweet deal with salaries escalating the way they are, plus a high energy two way C, basically a hybrid of Monohan and Backlund. I'm still pissed Treliving got scooped on that one).
Old 12-16-2019, 01:14 PM   #556
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnner View Post
Yeah but right now have Tkachuk at near prime with Gaudreau and Monahan on great value deals.

When Tkachuk is in his prime, say 3 years from now, he will be making massive money. Will you have a better scenario than you have currently?
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #557
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
lol I had completely forgotten that Jeff Skinner got an 8 year, $9 million AAV contract.

Funny enough Skinner has a higher career goals/game average then Hall does.
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #558
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It's Hall or bust, if we're actually considering taking a run with the Gio/Johnny core.
That’s a bit extreme. Surely there will be other players available on the trade market over the next couple of years.

I haven’t looked at the pending UFA lists yet so I’ll give you the side of this conversation is different come July 1 if Taylor Hall is brought in as a UFA only, but we’ve seen how well things have gone with high priced UFA signings here too.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:27 PM   #559
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, hopefully GMs learn some lessons from these contracts.

Some of those LWs are looking bad:
Benn has 16 points in 34 games, and 5 years left at 9.5. Ouch
Jeff Skinner is at 18 points in 34 games. His career best was 63 points last year albeit with 40 being goals. Still seemed high on signing and isn’t looking like value off the hop

Then you have some others like Patrick Kane. He delivers value for money individually, but this contract was signed long ago in concert with the Toews deal and spelled the end of the Hawks’ competitive window. The cap has finally risen to where they may be able to theoretically work with these deals, you could argue, but Chicago is having a really rough year

Likewise, Marner joins 2 other guys where the 3 of them eat up 33 million, so you have to consider how the deal fits in a team structure, in terms of who gets paid, and how you ice the rest of the team

I like Brad’s (what appears to be) pragmatism more than I like Hall north of 9. Because that becomes a horse to which you are hitching your wagon

To be clear, I was not making a statement on the value of those contracts as much as trying to get a sense of the market.

If the Flames can make a trade, with a contract in place, I would not be happy with anything over 9M ( unless the term was less then 7 years, which It probably wont be). If the Flames could sign him 7 years at 8M then they should be all over it. Otherwise, I would be happy with trading for him as a pure rental, at a reduced cost.

The bottom line, is the Flames are a win now team, and with the exception of Valimaki, Pelletier, and really optimistically Phillips. They don't really have any players looking to improve their team next year. I would be happier for the Flames to push their chips in, make a genuine run at it then to play it safe.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #560
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Funny enough Skinner has a higher career goals/game average then Hall does.
I am not a Hall fan, but he's never had a centre like Lindholm or Monahan. He played with McDavid a tiny bit IIRC, but McDavid was a rookie and got injured (plus I think they mostly played Hall with RNH). Now he has Hischier but he's still pretty green.
Closed Thread