Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #101
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Skyrim
GTA V
Civ V
Witcher 3
The fallout game before fallout 4
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #102
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's a little weird that almost seven years on, there's people who dislike The Last of Us enough to write a couple thousand words about it. There's hyperbole in both directions -- I think it's excellent and the peak effort in the third person linear action/adventure that was so popular in the PS3 gen, but you've really seen fall of in this gen in favor of more open world games.

Still, even if you dislike it, you can't say the gameplay was any worse than "average", and the presentation values at the time were unquestionably at the top of the pack. At worst, it's good. It's much more reasonable and closer to reality to say it's game of the decade than to say it sucks or is bad.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #103
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tomb Raider: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
South Park: Stick of Truth
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #104
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I mean, it's a little weird that almost seven years on, there's people who dislike The Last of Us enough to write a couple thousand words about it. There's hyperbole in both directions -- I think it's excellent and the peak effort in the third person linear action/adventure that was so popular in the PS3 gen, but you've really seen fall of in this gen in favor of more open world games.

Still, even if you dislike it, you can't say the gameplay was any worse than "average", and the presentation values at the time were unquestionably at the top of the pack. At worst, it's good. It's much more reasonable and closer to reality to say it's game of the decade than to say it sucks or is bad.
As I mentioned, I've been recently trying to finish TLoU because of all the kudos it's been getting as "a game of the decade" candidate, so that's why it's fresh in my mind.

Also, I can write two thousands words about anything. I'm just naturally verbose.

It's actually harder for me to write anything short.

Last edited by Itse; 01-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #105
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Standings updated to here! And Skyrim takes over the #1 spot. You people disgust me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #106
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Eh... Skyrim was a fun game and it had a pretty big impact. Looking back at my list I'd probably bump Breath of the Wild from my honorable mentions and put Skyrim on there instead. The game also had a stellar soundtrack (even though Jeremy Soule is piece of garbage).

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #107
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it, but best game of the last ten years?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #108
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could probably put more thought into this, but a quick list off the top of my head is better than nothing.

1. Mass Effect 2
2. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
4. Skyrim
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Honorable mention to Forza Horizon 3/4 as the best racing games ever made and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I liked it, but best game of the last ten years?

The thing about Skyrim is it's probably one of the most played games of the last 10 years, so it may not be the "best", but enough people like it that it's gonna get a ton of votes in something like this.

Last edited by codynw; 01-27-2020 at 11:28 PM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:45 AM   #109
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the vast majority of people rate something high its not "overrated"

you just didn't like it as much as the majority, different strokes
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 AM   #110
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Standings updated to here! And Skyrim takes over the #1 spot. You people disgust me
Me too. This cartoon sums up my perception of Skyrim gamers

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #111
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post

The thing about Skyrim is it's probably one of the most played games of the last 10 years, so it may not be the "best", but enough people like it that it's gonna get a ton of votes in something like this.
Jurassic World is probably my fav and most watched movie of the decade but I definitely wouldn't try and claim it's the best. I put Skyrim in that kind of category, good fun but not sure it's the best at anything.

Either way, it's a democracy, and standings updated to here with Skyrim growing its lead!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #112
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2 of the other games in the top 5 are skyrim clones. It's a game that casts it's shadow over the whole decade and should be the rightful winner.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #113
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
2 of the other games in the top 5 are skyrim clones. It's a game that casts it's shadow over the whole decade and should be the rightful winner.
How so? I can't think of anything Skyrim did that hadn't been done before.

To be clear I'm not ####ting on it, I played the hell out of Skyrim.

Last edited by btimbit; 01-28-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #114
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

green text
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:48 PM   #115
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Isn't that true of every game? Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it is the genre defining platformer. But I do think the 'Fus-Roh-Dah' was a pretty original and endlessly fun gameplay mechanic.

Skyrim struck on a formula that made for a deeply immersive gaming experience. Every fantasy open world game that came after it had to copy and expand on that formula to be successful.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #116
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whoa now... Breath of the Wild is a long, long ways away from being a Skyrim clone. "Open world fantasy game" is about where the similarities end.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 01-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #117
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't that true of every game? Mario wasn't the first platformer, but it is the genre defining platformer. But I do think the 'Fus-Roh-Dah' was a pretty original and endlessly fun gameplay mechanic.

Skyrim struck on a formula that made for a deeply immersive gaming experience. Every fantasy open world game that came after it had to copy and expand on that formula to be successful.
I must just be missing something then. It was a very good game but its formula was basically the same as the two games before, I'd argue skyrim isn't even the best game in the series. It's a fun game but hardly a benchmark for anything but bugs and awful AI. It had a well made, large and interesting world, but that's hardly something unique.

Again, I really enjoyed it. Just don't think it's GOTD material

Last edited by btimbit; 01-28-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #118
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Whoa now... Breath of the Wild is a long, long ways away from being a Skyrim clone. "Open world fantasy game" is about where the similarities end.

I'm currently playing BotW and I would describe it as a cleaner and streamlined version of Skyrim. They've replaced a lot of Skyrim's gameplay mechanics with Zelda gameplay mechanics, so I may be disingenuous calling it a clone, but to me the whole game feels like Nintendo doing it's own take on the Skyrim formula and giving it a ton of polish.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #119
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm currently playing BotW and I would describe it as a cleaner and streamlined version of Skyrim. They've replaced a lot of Skyrim's gameplay mechanics with Zelda gameplay mechanics, so I may be disingenuous calling it a clone, but to me the whole game feels like Nintendo doing it's own take on the Skyrim formula and giving it a ton of polish.
in what way is it like skyrim aside from there being grass and swords and you can ride a horse?
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #120
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Dead Redemption II should get a mention here, close to a perfect game if there ever was one. It's more fun that GTA5 (and GTA5 was awesome), the story is well written, the gameplay is easy and addictive, and graphics are lightyears better. This game is extremely hard to put down.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote