Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 10:42 AM   #14901
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I feel your pain, whenever I see false information/bad advice on Facebook/Reddit regarding insurance it takes a lot to just ignore it and forget I saw it. Even though I don't work directly in insurance I just want people to properly understand insurance to try and remove some of the hate. If people took a little time to learn what they are paying for and how it works they would have an overall much better experience when it comes time to use it or justify costs.

If anyone wonders why Auto insurance is so expensive just spending one day with an Injury adjuster and you will completely understand and at the same time hate society even more. Then do the same with a regular adjuster in Auto and see the costs related to even the most minor of accidents. You buy a $80,000 vehicle and pay $2000/year in insurance, thats 40 years to pay for a single accident, sadly thats where those with no accidents might see a little lower payments but they are needed to cover the losses like above.

In a perfect world I'm a good driver and I will never be at fault for an accident why do I need to pay insurance for everyone else, but all it would take is one accident even very minor, you think there was no damage but the car full of 5 people all claim injuries and now you are on the hook for a minimum of $100,000.00 can you come up with that?

Then there are brokers just trying to sell as much as they can and not educating their clients what they are paying for, they just want "The cheapest". All of these things together plus the need for companies to pay employees and in the case of some companies report to shareholders you can easily see why there is so much hate for insurance,

TLDR; People are too fragile to be in a vehicle apparently, cost everyone more money than you can imagine, and its only going to get worse without major injury claim regulations.
This is actually a gear grinder in itself.

Cars are insanely expensive now. They are bigger and heavier than ever, so when accidents happen, not only is their the cost of the vehicle damage, but the cost of injury damage / lost work time etc.

But cars are also insanely more of an attention suck nowadays with infotainment. Coupled with cell phones, it is amazing to me how many people are driving deadly $100,000 machines without actually paying attention to the road.

How do we solve this? by building bigger cars of course! Your safety is the number one priority here.

And of course this results in bigger insurance pay outs and then more costly insurance.

It's like a gun debate; but instead of targeted killing, its just us running around waving a gun at people and then it accidently going off once and a while. The only response to this is, "well, we could build a bigger gun, that should work."
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:42 AM   #14902
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no problem admitting I fell for the "vaping is better for you" fallacy and even advocated people to switch. It seems like a vaporized version of the same chemicals in combustible smoke should be easier on the body, but it turns out it's as or more damaging than the OG.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:25 AM   #14903
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
NSFW!

TLDR; People are too fragile to be in a vehicle apparently, cost everyone more money than you can imagine, and its only going to get worse without major injury claim regulations.
To add to this here is a report on the issues of injury costs.

In recent years, bodily injury costs following accidents (which includes legal costs and fees) have
risen dramatically in Alberta and are now among the highest in Canada.
In 2012, the average bodily injury claim following an accident was $45,462. That amount
increased 79% by 2022 to $81,140. This increase in bodily injury claims costs is one of the
single largest pressures on insurance premiums in Alberta and is only expected to grow in the
years ahead.

https://www.albertaautoinsurancefact...pring-2024.pdf
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:50 AM   #14904
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The amount of accidents on bare roads is alarming.

We have a lot of bad drivers now, it’s extremely frustrating.

It feels like since the pandemic the traffic has increased by 200% and all 200% of them are idiot drivers.

The amount of idiots making wide right turns from residential areas is nuts. Unable to drive at 50.

The Covid pandemic might be over but the pandemic of idiot drivers has just begun.
Living in the inner city, the amount of larger vehicles driving in the middle of roads is insanely frustrating. Scared to get near the parked cars to allow the traffic to flow smoothly. Anytime an oncoming car comes, both sides have to slow down and./or stop to have the one car move over
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 01:21 PM   #14905
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To add to this here is a report on the issues of injury costs.

In recent years, bodily injury costs following accidents (which includes legal costs and fees) have
risen dramatically in Alberta and are now among the highest in Canada.
In 2012, the average bodily injury claim following an accident was $45,462. That amount
increased 79% by 2022 to $81,140. This increase in bodily injury claims costs is one of the
single largest pressures on insurance premiums in Alberta and is only expected to grow in the
years ahead.

https://www.albertaautoinsurancefact...pring-2024.pdf
but but .....The Cap........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:16 PM   #14906
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Living in the inner city, the amount of larger vehicles driving in the middle of roads is insanely frustrating. Scared to get near the parked cars to allow the traffic to flow smoothly. Anytime an oncoming car comes, both sides have to slow down and./or stop to have the one car move over
That happens everywhere. And straddling two lanes in wintertime on roads like Deerfoot and Crowchild happens a lot.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:26 AM   #14907
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Always has to be a couple of trashy losers who leave their cars on the street on sweeping day. I wish they'd get a $1000 ticket.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:38 AM   #14908
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Always has to be a couple of trashy losers who leave their cars on the street on sweeping day. I wish they'd get a $1000 ticket.
The city fatas this up every year in my area. The schedule says May 29 for us. Yet yesterday the streets appeared swept. do they do a pre-sweep?

Had this guy park in front of my house for years (whatever), I think he worked at postal depot a few blocks away because it isn't permit parking in front of my house. I knew he would park there on sweeping day and he did. I just swept up as much gravel around him to make it look like what I did obvious and put in on his windshield and hood. Never parked there again. Almost felt better than having the street swept.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #14909
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do pre-sweep often. They will still be back on your scheduled day.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #14910
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought they started ticketing and towing? Or is that only on the main drags?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:44 AM   #14911
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At least this year they put the signs up early enough. Last two years they have put the signs up the day before sweep day.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:44 AM   #14912
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah. The guy who lives in the basement suite next door has two vehicles, both of which park on the street. He's lived there for 5-6 years and has never once moved whichever one he isn't driving that day somewhere else on street sweeping day.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:47 AM   #14913
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They ticketed and towed in my area. They were moving some cars a block or two over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
At least this year they put the signs up early enough. Last two years they have put the signs up the day before sweep day.
In some areas. In mine, the signs went up the night before, in an area where most people don't drive often so there were tons of people that didn't realize they needed to move.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #14914
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe main drags only?

In the 90s it was everywhere. A fleet of tow trucks would jockey the strugglers' cars a couple blocks over and leave them with a ticket. I don't think they do that, anymore.

I'll get out there with a broom and my bin tonight and sweep up for the POS a few doors down who left his car out today. I'd rather do that than crash on my skateboard going over his gravel in June.

That's the other funny thing about the kind of diickbag who would be too dumb to move his car - he's also the same type of guy who wouldn't get home from work, think 'crap, I fkd up', and then go clean the mess he left. If you're a loser in one area it seems you're just a loser in general.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:49 AM   #14915
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I just assume that there are just so many cars illegally parked they can't possibly tow them all.

Anyone know where you can get those huge, intrusive, unremovable stickers that you can put on the windshield of cars that say "Can't park here". Those videos from Russia where they slap them on the windshields are so satisfying.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:50 AM   #14916
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Street Parkers are the worst trashiest people

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 09:53 AM   #14917
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

They should clean the streets more often. I’m not sure it would solve the issue of street parker that don’t move their car (scum) but it might make it possible to catch a day where they aren’t parked there.

Plus there is always a bunch of rocks and stuff left over whenever they go. The city sucks at this. There are a lot of places in the world where they do street cleaning weekly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:19 AM   #14918
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
The city fatas this up every year in my area. The schedule says May 29 for us. Yet yesterday the streets appeared swept. do they do a pre-sweep?

Had this guy park in front of my house for years (whatever), I think he worked at postal depot a few blocks away because it isn't permit parking in front of my house. I knew he would park there on sweeping day and he did. I just swept up as much gravel around him to make it look like what I did obvious and put in on his windshield and hood. Never parked there again. Almost felt better than having the street swept.
This is such a dick move. I love it and wish I had the balls to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:19 AM   #14919
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My street gets sweeped weekly. I don't know how you suburbanites live with your street parkers and doorbell ringers. Sounds like hell.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:06 AM   #14920
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cul de sac has only two strips of parking space within it, one is between my neighbor and I's house, and is preferred as the other strip does have a fire hydrant in the middle of it.

This results in people constantly parking there from any house on the cul de sac. Normally I don't care about this at all. It's not my property, it's the street, who cares. BUT I ####ING HATE IT every garbage day and when the street sweepers come. In front of my house never gets clean, and sometimes I have to pretty much shove my garbage can right up against their bumper so I can back out of my own driveway but leave my cans out on garbage day. This has resulted in my garbage not being taken twice.

The street sweepers missed me again this year
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote