Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #101
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t think Tkachuk will be scared to sign an offer sheet for what he thinks he is worth. Treliving is going to have to leave some breathing room so he is not backed into a corner. Any offer sheet is probably going to be shorter term potentially when he is still a RFA but ensure the qualifying offer is ridiculously high.
Since when did you become tkachovertime?
Couldn't drive offense on his own in the playoffs. Not worth that top tier cheddar yet. I dont think hes going for an offer sheet.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #102
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Couldn't drive offense on his own in the playoffs. Not worth that top tier cheddar yet. I dont think hes going for an offer sheet.
Most of the league gets paid before they do anything in the playoffs...it is what it is.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 PM   #103
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Then trade him for kings ransom. 8x8 but not for 5
Quote:
The way Tkachuk talked about the Matthews deal he is probably pushing for $8Mx5 years.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #104
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

7.5 x 7

For a valuable player on your second line that still has room for growth with that underwhelming stretch drive.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #105
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not worried about Chucky getting an offer sheet. Any gm putting out an offer sheet will be putting a target on his back and I’m pretty sure the practice is frowned upon amongst the brotherhood of gm’s. Chucky is a pretty good player but he can’t play the fast game and doesn’t play physical enough. He disappeared in the playoffs after the first game. Sorry but I don’t think you empty the piggy bank for him. I’m betting the flames are offering Giordano money at this point. I’d like to see him work on his skating before $$$
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #106
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I’m not worried about Chucky getting an offer sheet. Any gm putting out an offer sheet will be putting a target on his back and I’m pretty sure the practice is frowned upon amongst the brotherhood of gm’s. Chucky is a pretty good player but he can’t play the fast game and doesn’t play physical enough. He disappeared in the playoffs after the first game. Sorry but I don’t think you empty the piggy bank for him. I’m betting the flames are offering Giordano money at this point. I’d like to see him work on his skating before $$$

Unless it’s not very long, zero chance he agrees to Gio’s money. I think even 5 years puts him above Gio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #107
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I am not saying we need to give the guy the moon. I just think Tkachuk does want to get paid and is not looking to do a team friendly deal. I do think we see offer sheets this summer and when the Flames could wait Gaudreau our because he was ineligible to sign an offer sheet Tkachuk has that ability.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #108
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Then trade him for kings ransom. 8x8 but not for 5
I agree I would hate to pay him top $ for short term. Chiarelli scrwed things up by giving Draisaitl $8.5M after a 50 and 70pt season but after scoring 50-100 this year it looks like a fair deal.

Dubas really effed things up by giving Matthews $11.3 for 5 years. Is Tkachuk really worth 3-4M less than Matthews?
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #109
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm most scared of a tirefire organization like Ottawa signing him to an offer sheet. You'd think they learned their lesson with Duchene, but I have no doubt they'll be tempted to unite the Tkachuk brothers long-term.

They have 5 picks in the top 3 rounds next year (and 11 picks in the top 3 rounds over the next 2 years) so they might think they can absorb giving away a couple 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd to lock him in at an 5-year deal at $10M.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #110
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dubas really effed things up by giving Matthews $11.3 for 5 years. Is Tkachuk really worth 3-4M less than Matthews?
I think Auston Matthews is worth 3-4M less than what Auston Matthews is getting paid.

Tkachuk is worth a couple of steps below that.

If someone gives Tkachuk an $8m/yr offer sheet, I'll buy him a pair of Stampede commemorative truck nuts to remember us by, and get to see Treliving use the picks and the cap space to fleece another GM at the draft.

He's good, but he shouldn't be getting franchise player money.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #111
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd really like to hear Gaudreauvertime's take on these negotiations.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #112
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I think Auston Matthews is worth 3-4M less than what Auston Matthews is getting paid.

Tkachuk is worth a couple of steps below that.

If someone gives Tkachuk an $8m/yr offer sheet, I'll buy him a pair of Stampede commemorative truck nuts to remember us by, and get to see Treliving use the picks and the cap space to fleece another GM at the draft.

He's good, but he shouldn't be getting franchise player money.
Tkachuk is not a free agent until July 1st so the draft you want Treliving to fleece other GM’s on is in 2020 and the Flames would need to address the need to replace Tkachuk immediately as to not waste another year of the core’s prime and contracts.

The thing is if Tkachuk signs an offer sheet it would likely be deeper into the summer and not something that will be done in early July.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #113
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So you would value 2 1st rd, a 2nd and a 3rd rd pick over Matthew Tkachuk making 8.2 M a year?

OK...fair enough.

I would say it is not enough for me to walk on a guy that has improved every single year in the league and hasnt even seen his 22nd birthday yet...all while coming in top 30 in league scoring.

I mean...maybe one of those picks comes close to producing what MT does...unlikely but possible (all based on draft position obviously).
Brad Treliving has a hell of a lot to entertain in these contract negotations...I don't envy him or the Flames analytics department.

How does Tkachuk's ++ ability to play down low continue to trend? Is it enough to offset his glaring skating weakness?

Do we continue to see the league move exponentially faster, thereby limiting the impact guys like Tkachuk can have?

What does that look like in 5+ years?

All hugely important questions that I certainly don't have an answer for. Market value for Tkachuk scares the bejesus out of me, because I'm not sure paying him what his numbers call for and the 'intangibles' will allow room for another (much needed) top 6 player for this group without major roster reconstruction. NOR do I have the utmost faith that his game is going to age well in the current landscape of the NHL

Last edited by howard_the_duck; 04-25-2019 at 03:06 PM.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #114
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I've always wondered why players are not looking for deals like that, based on % of cap. Is there a CBA rule against that? Why has this never happened?

I’m sure players have agreed to that type of deal before... it’s just a dollar amount so there is no reason it would be illegal.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #115
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the Flames would do wise to wait and see what Rantanen gets. Considering Mackinnon is paid 6.3 mil, I doubt Rantanen will get much more than 8 and Tkachuk is worth less than Rantanen, based on their play this season.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haplo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #116
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
I think the Flames would do wise to wait and see what Rantanen gets. Considering Mackinnon is paid 6.3 mil, I doubt Rantanen will get much more than 8 and Tkachuk is worth less than Rantanen, based on their play this season.
I don't think any of those contracts that were signed 3 years ago will be used as a comparable. The Cap itself has gone up 10M in that time. The second contract is more and more about paying for potential.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #117
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't think any of those contracts that were signed 3 years ago will be used as a comparable. The Cap itself has gone up 10M in that time. The second contract is more and more about paying for potential.
Not as comparables, but when your franchise player is underpaid, you're not gonna overpay his winger. I think it'll be a better benchmark for Tkachuk than some of these other deals.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #118
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Tkachuk's value will be determined in a bubble with his peers, not matched against the contracts of his teammates.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #119
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd really like to hear Gaudreauvertime's take on these negotiations.
I still want to know who that was.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a feeling that these negotiation are going to be long and drawn out and painful. MT will chase the most money on the shortest term to UFA possible. My gut tells me we'll be sitting deep into the season before he's signed

We need to bring in a strong negotiator for this one

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote