Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
zackhogan1994
Draft Pick

Default US dollar credit cards

Hi!

I had a RBC US Visa gold credit card, but cancelled it due to a high annual fee.

I just want to ask, for anyone that may have a US dollar credit card, what is the best one to get ?

Interest rate and annual fee wise.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
zackhogan1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the ATB US Dollar Mastercard, was the cheapest I could find and helped I have an ATB account as well.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have the TD US Dollar Visa Card. Annual fee is waived if you open up a Borderless Plan US Dollar account. The Borderless Plan fee is also waived if you keep at least $3000 US dollars in the account.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The BMO US Dollar Mastercard is a card that I have had for almost 10 years. It used to be free but than they added a $25 annual fee. I believe its credited back if you spend $1000 US on the card annually. Also with most credit cards, if you call in and have a compelling case, sometimes they will credit back the annual fee's. Its a competitive marketplace out there so its worth a shot.

It's a great way to save on FX fee's when shopping online or traveling to the US.

Good luck!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best card is actually the Home Trust Visa. It's not a US dollar card but it has no foreign exchange fees and no annual cost. It also has 1% cash back.

https://www.hometrust.ca/

My thinking is even if you have a US card, like the BMO one, and a US bank account that when transferring money into your US bank account you're paying foreign exchange fees there anyway.

Although if you also get paid or have some sort of steady income in US dollars then of course a US bank account/card makes sense and the BMO is pretty good in that case (I have it). Only drawback is no rewards.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the RBC Bank US Visa. No annual fee, 1% cash back. You have to apply online, because it is issued by their US subsidiary, so it is an actual US based credit card.

The catch is you pretty much need a US bank account to be able to pay it, which is $39.50/year. I have USD income and expenses for my business so it's very worth it for me.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #7
zackhogan1994
Draft Pick

I want to thank everyone for their input

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
zackhogan1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
The BMO US Dollar Mastercard is a card that I have had for almost 10 years. It used to be free but than they added a $25 annual fee. I believe its credited back if you spend $1000 US on the card annually. Also with most credit cards, if you call in and have a compelling case, sometimes they will credit back the annual fee's. Its a competitive marketplace out there so its worth a shot.

It's a great way to save on FX fee's when shopping online or traveling to the US.

Good luck!
Do you get this at a BMO branch or ? I bank with BMO and have a US dollar account, but I hate having to withdraw a bunch of US cash to carry around. If I got this card, could I then use it to shop while in the US and then pay it off from my US dollar BMO account. That annual fee seems reasonable for the convenience if using a card.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote