Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #41
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Molotov cocktails work good. No law against them is there?
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Long winded response trimmed to this.

Never fire a warning shot. It's irresponsible, dangerous, and illegal.
Curious that the courts don’t seem to agree with your interpretation when it comes to the last point.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #43
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, I shall get a gun and shoot at or near the intruders, followed closely by my pack of wolverine/badger/pit bull/drone hybrids.

Thanks to the people that commented about response time for an alarm. That is a good point and it seems like cameras are the way to go.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #44
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Curious that the courts don’t seem to agree with your interpretation when it comes to the last point.
In the case you brought up, the Crown elected to not pursue the case. That is very different from the court making any statement to legality of the action let alone deeming it legal. It remains an illegal act until the law is removed from the books. How is this even a question at this point?

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 PM   #45
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get driveway sensors from Amazon that sense either induction, IR, or motion and I’ve seen people wire the alarm portion to a Linear or Ecolink normally open z wave switch. You could tie it to home automation to fire off notifications and to turn on flood lights, cameras, sirens and whatever Kevin Mcallister stuff you got setup in the house to fire when no is home.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #46
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Hi All,

Hoping to find some recommendations for security systems, both self and third party monitored for an acreage. I know we have a fair amount of acreage folks on the site, so hoping to learn from your experiences as I’m doing my own reasearch too.

Thanks in advance!
My place had an attempted breakin. In retrospect, the RCMP we were pretty sure we were being cased as we had been getting phone calls at all times of the day and night.

We have an alarm system and motion lights installed. One of the alarms is mounted under our front deck which blares all through the valley. The RCMP said we did the right thing with the alarms and motion sensors as in the country, response is basically non-existent unless physical harm and the like is experienced. You want to make enough noise that they want to vacate the premises as quickly as possible.

They never recommended leaving gates locked at the end of your driveway UNLESS you lock them all the time. If you only lock them when you go away, that just alerts potential criminals that you are not at home.

Basically the same thing for locking all your out-buildings like shops and barns and the like. You will probably get more damage if they break into those buildings than if they can just open them up and see what they want.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #47
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

The folks who own acreages that I have spoke to tend to install gates.

However I definitely understand the above post, around if the gate is only closed when an owner is away this could make it easy to identify.

Dogs are also a risk, don't leave them outside when you are not around.

In the past dogs have been stolen from acreages. would guess for dog fighting etc.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote