Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I changed my eating habits a year and a half ago. Went Keto, IMO it’s a perfect WOE. But I’m not a Keto fanatic in any way. I did strict for the first 4 weeks, and lost 26 pounds. Since then I’ve gone “dirty Keto” and have maintained my weight since. I literally don’t think twice about what I eat. I’m just used to it and adapt to wherever I go.

I eat all meats, Basically all above ground veggies and a small amount of fruits.

What I don’t eat is starches and sugar. So no potatoes or any tubelar veggies or really any beans. The main thing I don’t eat is bread. I make my own with almond flour and psyllium husk powder - it’s amazing and super easy to make. As for sugars, I’ve switched to stevia, eurythatol and monk fruit.

Overall, this lifestyle has brought my levels (bp, cholesterols, etc...) back to when I was in the Forces. My doc loves it and encourages me to continue.

Keto is not for everyone but the main thing, whatever you decide to use as your WOE, stick to it and then it becomes second nature and you instinctively know what to avoid, especially when eating out. Just make sure your “diet” doesn’t make you have to really change your lifestyle and if anything keeps your energy levels up.

Good luck!

Last edited by csnarpy; 03-19-2019 at 10:46 AM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where do you buy the psyllium husk? I’ve been looking everywhere and can’t find it (superstore, Safeway and co-op). I want to add it to smoothies.

Last edited by Peanut; 03-19-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon looks to have lots. Or probably Community Natural Foods.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Amazon!! I never think of it for food. I’ll probably try Community first.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find a few of my obscure gluten free needs on Amazon. It's nice that way.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM   #26
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Depends what sort of diet you're doing. They're very high in carbs so not good for people doing lower carb diets.
In my experience if the average person (without any pre exisiting conditions) sticks to the food guide as much as possible and commits to regular strength training and cardio, they should live a pretty healthy and fit lifestyle.

Diets like KETO are not sustainable (and quite bad for your body) in the least so it is far too easy to fall back to old habits once you have made significant strides.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-19-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #27
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve been counting Marcos for about 8 months and it’s been easy once I got the hang of it and meal prep sundays for work lunches the week ahead. I cut out unnecessary sugars and carbs. My blood pressure has went down, my body fat has decreased significantly, no long have sleep apnoea and most importantly can keep up with my kids all day long.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #28
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Amazon!! I never think of it for food. I’ll probably try Community first.
My wife got it from Southland Superstore. Health food isle.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
In my experience if the average person (without any pre exisiting conditions) sticks to the food guide as much as possible and commits to regular strength training and cardio, they should live a pretty healthy and fit lifestyle.

Diets like KETO are not sustainable (and quite bad for your body) in the least so it is far too easy to fall back to old habits once you have made significant strides.
Im sorry I’m not going to get to much into this but this statement has been refuted many times over. There’s quite a difference from Keto in the 1930’s from Keto today. Like I said before, Keto is great if managed properly. But usually this is true in most diets.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I changed my eating habits a year and a half ago. Went Keto, IMO it’s a perfect WOE. But I’m not a Keto fanatic in any way. I did strict for the first 4 weeks, and lost 26 pounds. Since then I’ve gone “dirty Keto” and have maintained my weight since. I literally don’t think twice about what I eat. I’m just used to it and adapt to wherever I go.

I eat all meats, Basically all above ground veggies and a small amount of fruits.

What I don’t eat is starches and sugar. So no potatoes or any tubelar veggies or really any beans. The main thing I don’t eat is bread. I make my own with almond flour and psyllium husk powder - it’s amazing and super easy to make. As for sugars, I’ve switched to stevia, eurythatol and monk fruit.

Overall, this lifestyle has brought my levels (bp, cholesterols, etc...) back to when I was in the Forces. My doc loves it and encourages me to continue.

Keto is not for everyone but the main thing, whatever you decide to use as your WOE, stick to it and then it becomes second nature and you instinctively know what to avoid, especially when eating out. Just make sure your “diet” doesn’t make you have to really change your lifestyle and if anything keeps your energy levels up.

Good luck!
Almost exactly the same as me, except I lost 50 lbs over 8 months. Been holding steady for the past 12 months now (dirty keto), and am about to start up strict keto again to try to lose another 20 or so.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #31
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Where do you buy the psyllium husk? I’ve been looking everywhere and can’t find it (superstore, Safeway and co-op). I want to add it to smoothies.
I got mine at Planet Organic but you can get it almost anywhere. Bulk Barn has it as well. I got the Red Mill brand last time and although delicious, my bread had a purple potato look, lol, that took a bit to get used to.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #32
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
I’ve been counting Marcos for about 8 months and it’s been easy once I got the hang of it and meal prep sundays for work lunches the week ahead. I cut out unnecessary sugars and carbs. My blood pressure has went down, my body fat has decreased significantly, no long have sleep apnoea and most importantly can keep up with my kids all day long.
+1

Can't overstate how important this. It's so easy to make bad food decisions when you are hungry and near fast food outlets or restaurants. Food prepping eliminates the temptation for me.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #33
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
+1

Can't overstate how important this. It's so easy to make bad food decisions when you are hungry and near fast food outlets or restaurants. Food prepping eliminates the temptation for me.
Oh man if I don’t prep my meals I eat absolute garbage because it’s most convenient to buy something fast food wise and stuff my face.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #34
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
what is counting Marcos? I assume macros, same question.

how do you meal prep? do you just wing it, or do you have a menu list you go through? do you freeze it?

I am going to get more into this, and I was thinking turkey chili would be my first thing.

I already clean/cut etc veggies, fruits for the week for aft. snacks and salads at night, but usually go for the frozen meals like lean cuisine for lunch, the somewhat healthy ones < 300 calories, but probably high in other junks
Old 03-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #35
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

I'm not sure if they are "bad for your body" but I agree with you specifically on the fact that any type of "diet" is very difficult to sustain long-term. It requires extreme dedication and can become a grind down the road. The approach should be a life-style change, not a diet. Too many examples of people losing a bunch of weight on a diet then slipping once or twice and gaining it all back.

As someone already mentioned in the thread, I've been doing intermittent fasting (16 hour fast and 8 hour feeding window) and had very positive results, when combined with weight training 3 times a week. I want to get into more cardio or HIIT but haven't been able to find the time.

Intermittent fasting is easy because basically you just skip breakfast.
I don't even feel too hungry until noon. At first it was hard, not gonna lie.
This website lists the benefits and has links to the studies:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-guide#effects

Quote:
Here are some changes that occur in your body when you fast:

Human Growth Hormone (HGH): The levels of growth hormone skyrocket, increasing as much as 5-fold. This has benefits for fat loss and muscle gain, to name a few (4, 5, 6, 7).
Insulin: Insulin sensitivity improves and levels of insulin drop dramatically. Lower insulin levels make stored body fat more accessible (8).
Cellular repair: When fasted, your cells initiate cellular repair processes. This includes autophagy, where cells digest and remove old and dysfunctional proteins that build up inside cells (9, 10)
Gene expression: There are changes in the function of genes related to longevity and protection against disease (11, 12).
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #36
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
what is counting Marcos? I assume macros, same question.

how do you meal prep? do you just wing it, or do you have a menu list you go through? do you freeze it?
Macros, pretty good explanation (imo): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...01&pagenumber=

Prep: you can freeze stuff. I definitely don’t wing it. I plan out all meals for the weekdays (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks). Then I make a grocery list based off the meal plan and get all the groceries. Then I try to make ahead at least a few of the meals for the week. You can ease into it. Like prep all your lunches and snacks. Some people prep every single thing they eat.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a health nut by any means, but in the last year I started making a conscious effort to not eat like a total jackass. cut out excess sugar like pop, upped my vegetable intake, stuff like that. I've lost a bit of weight but more importantly, feel way better.

However, I refuse to give up red meat and beer, and find working out to be the most tedious and boring thing in the world. But eating healthier isn't hard and I'm glad I started to do that
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #38
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing I have always wondered about diet's such as Keto or Atkins or whatever the flavour of the month may be, what about the long term HEALTH effects??

In a huge amount of cultures around the world, a very meat heavy diet isn't really prevalent and they have much much lower levels of chronic diseases. There are a lot of places were heart disease isn't nearly as prevalent as it is in North America, where it's the #1 killer of people.

I am of Greek background and many many of my friends are of immigrant backgrounds. A lot of our families have lots of stories from "the old country" where money was tight and meat was a luxury for once a week or a few times a month. They all grew up on really healthy foods such as beans, legumes, pastas, hearty soups and stews, very vegetable and fruit heavy. In a lot of ways, the current recommendations from the Canada Food guide.

Weight loss aside, which friends of mine on Keto have achieved, I don't get why the diet vilifies really really healthy and nutrient rich foods such as REAL bread, beans and legumes? Friends of mine literally have very healthy parents and grandparents who grew up eating really healthy foods such as described above but they consider a lot of the carbs "toxic" as if REAL bread and lentils are bad??

One friend of mine, instead of looking at his parents and grandparents and how they grew up, looks at a Youtube video recommendation on Keto about "eating whipped cream with a strawberrry or two, instead of eating strawberries with a little whipped cream"

I just don't think a can of whipped cream with a couple of strawberries and a 20 oz Alberta Rib Eye is the answer and bread, which we have eaten since the beginning of time, the enemy.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #39
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Macros, pretty good explanation (imo): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...01&pagenumber=

Prep: you can freeze stuff. I definitely don’t wing it. I plan out all meals for the weekdays (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks). Then I make a grocery list based off the meal plan and get all the groceries. Then I try to make ahead at least a few of the meals for the week. You can ease into it. Like prep all your lunches and snacks. Some people prep every single thing they eat.
do you have a go to strategy/ cookbook etc, of where you get your meal plan from, I guess is what I am wondering. You may be advanced level by now and don't need it, but say when you were a novice meal planner/preparer?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #40
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
One thing I have always wondered about diet's such as Keto or Atkins or whatever the flavour of the month may be, what about the long term HEALTH effects??

In a huge amount of cultures around the world, a very meat heavy diet isn't really prevalent and they have much much lower levels of chronic diseases. There are a lot of places were heart disease isn't nearly as prevalent as it is in North America, where it's the #1 killer of people.

I am of Greek background and many many of my friends are of immigrant backgrounds. A lot of our families have lots of stories from "the old country" where money was tight and meat was a luxury for once a week or a few times a month. They all grew up on really healthy foods such as beans, legumes, pastas, hearty soups and stews, very vegetable and fruit heavy. In a lot of ways, the current recommendations from the Canada Food guide.

Weight loss aside, which friends of mine on Keto have achieved, I don't get why the diet vilifies really really healthy and nutrient rich foods such as REAL bread, beans and legumes? Friends of mine literally have very healthy parents and grandparents who grew up eating really healthy foods such as described above but they consider a lot of the carbs "toxic" as if REAL bread and lentils are bad??

One friend of mine, instead of looking at his parents and grandparents and how they grew up, looks at a Youtube video recommendation on Keto about "eating whipped cream with a strawberrry or two, instead of eating strawberries with a little whipped cream"

I just don't think a can of whipped cream with a couple of strawberries and a 20 oz Alberta Rib Eye is the answer and bread, which we have eaten since the beginning of time, the enemy.

From what I've read a lot of the "studies" linking various diets to health/life span are a case of correlation and not causation. The major underlying theme is that obesity is unhealthy. A major issue that people were discounting in previous research into the issue was the amount of cholesterol in the body is already much higher than anything you consume, and temporarily adding small amounts in your digestive system is shown to have little effect. In other words, you are not what you eat.

If you can find a diet that puts you at a healthy weight, whether that be keto or vegetarianism, you are likely to live longer.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote