Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Recommend me a TV

I'm not sure if this is possible or not.

I'm looking for a 32" - 42" with better sound than the pos Dynex currently taking up wall space. It's not too bad a picture, but the sound makes ears bleed and I'm wondering if there's anything out there in this size that actually has decent sound?

This would be for living room, not entertainment room, so in other words it's for my wife. I know she's not interested in turning it into a home theater area, or even using a soundbar, so please don't suggest that!
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I typically like rtings.com for their reviews because they are quite objective and in-depth.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...s00-20&ie=UTF8 is what they recommend in the 40-43 inch range for overall quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...01a-20&ie=UTF8 isn't far behind for significantly cheaper.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you’re happy with your picture quality and just looking for better sound, why not just add a sound bar? Couple hundred dollars would make an enormous difference and sound better than any TV speakers would sound. For under $300, I would recommend the LG SJ3. Very impressive quality. Can be found on sale for $200 at times.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going through the same decision only for a 55" 4K HDR on boxing day. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, the Samsung MU6290, the LG6200, and the Vizio 55M.
I have looked on rtings and the Vizio is well hyped there but I have heard it only has one HDMI 2.0 port and only that port can handle 4K and HDR. I have also heard people having problems getting their PS4 Pro to ok it is HDR compatible. Otherwise the Vizio seems like the superior tv with both types of HDR supported. The other two only support HDR10. I think the Samsung might be a bit better than the LG but not sure. The TV will be used for a PS4 Pro, an Android box with 4K streaming capabilities, and a 4K blue ray player. Can anyone help me decide here or does anyone have one of these models or other recommendations? I am not well versed on tv's so calling on my fellow CPers for some help. Thanks guys!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know if it fits your decor or what your wife has in mind but I recently stumbled upon the Samsung Serif TV. It's not cheap for what it is but in a room where the TV doesn't get used all the time it's far nicer to look at than most TV's.

Samsung also has a new range of picture frame wall hung TV's that display art when they're off that again are nicer to look at than your standard TV.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I don't know if it fits your decor or what your wife has in mind but I recently stumbled upon the Samsung Serif TV. It's not cheap for what it is but in a room where the TV doesn't get used all the time it's far nicer to look at than most TV's.

Samsung also has a new range of picture frame wall hung TV's that display art when they're off that again are nicer to look at than your standard TV.
Thanks, these were the ones I found that I could budget for on boxing day, I don't want to dip into my funds I have set aside to come to Calgary in March for some games.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hijacking this thread myself for some opinions on 55" sets. I'm looking at either the mu8000 or x900E. Anyone have either or tried both and can share their opinion. The only other sets I'd look at would be the LG OLED C7. But it's a big step up from $1200 to $2000.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The LG OLED is well worth the price upgrade. We've had our 65" version for a couple months now and the picture still amazes me.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
Hijacking this thread myself for some opinions on 55" sets. I'm looking at either the mu8000 or x900E. Anyone have either or tried both and can share their opinion. The only other sets I'd look at would be the LG OLED C7. But it's a big step up from $1200 to $2000.

I have had all three of these as it happens (first the X900E, returned due to a defect, then the MU8000, also returned, and now the B7, which is the same panel as the C7). The ranking is:

1) C7/B7

2) X900E

3) MU8000

All good TV’s, especially if you’re coming from something non-4K or HDR. The LG takes the cake overall as OLED technology’s somewhat on another level when it comes to contrasts and colours, but the X900E, at its price point, ain’t too far behind and is a great set. The MU8000 is also decent and is aesthetically quite nice with its design and Samsung’s little connection box for all your inputs, but is a step behind the X900E by just a hair (partially due to how the panels are backlit. The X900E is “FALD” - full array local dimming, whereas the MU is conventionally edgelit. The blacks and contrast are stronger on Sony’s TV as a result).

It does somewhat depend on what you’ll be using them for of course. Mine’s pretty much exclusively for gaming, so input lag’s a huge factor for me and the X900E’s was a bit higher than I liked. Still more than playable for the majority of gamers, but something I noticed as someone who plays a lot of first person shooters and whatnot. The LG is the snappiest of the three with the Samsung being similar.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:03 AM   #10
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am going through the same decision only for a 55" 4K HDR on boxing day. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices, the Samsung MU6290, the LG6200, and the Vizio 55M.
I have looked on rtings and the Vizio is well hyped there but I have heard it only has one HDMI 2.0 port and only that port can handle 4K and HDR. I have also heard people having problems getting their PS4 Pro to ok it is HDR compatible. Otherwise the Vizio seems like the superior tv with both types of HDR supported. The other two only support HDR10. I think the Samsung might be a bit better than the LG but not sure. The TV will be used for a PS4 Pro, an Android box with 4K streaming capabilities, and a 4K blue ray player. Can anyone help me decide here or does anyone have one of these models or other recommendations? I am not well versed on tv's so calling on my fellow CPers for some help. Thanks guys!
The Samsung and LG models you listed don't even play a true HDR10 picture. As both of those tvs are still only an 8 bit panel. One needs at least a 10bit panel for actual HDR or you won't get the wide colour gamut. Hence the Vizio is better The Vizio M series is the only one of those three which is able to play HDR10 and Dolby vision. The Samsung does upconvert signals better for cable. But doesn't come close to the Vizio due to HDR/Dolby.

The Vizio is definitely superior to those other models. The P series is even better but for the price(700-1000 price range) nothing beats the M series. The next step up would be the Sony 900 series.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone have comments on this deal and quality of this Sharp TV: Sharp 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Roku Smart TV (LC-65LBU591C): en-CA/product/sharp-65-4k-uhd-hdr-led-roku-smart-tv-lc-65lbu591c-only-at-

It's set to go on sale for 799$. I'm looking to buy this along with a PS4 Pro.

No Canadian comments on Best Buy's site but the US gives it 4.5 from 73 really positive comments.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Does anyone have comments on this deal and quality of this Sharp TV: Sharp 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Roku Smart TV (LC-65LBU591C): en-CA/product/sharp-65-4k-uhd-hdr-led-roku-smart-tv-lc-65lbu591c-only-at-

It's set to go on sale for 799$. I'm looking to buy this along with a PS4 Pro.

No Canadian comments on Best Buy's site but the US gives it 4.5 from 73 really positive comments.
This TV is essentially the same as the Hisense 65" Roku 6107 or 6100 series. Hisense is the maker of the unit you're looking at. Since they have the licensing for the Sharp name right now. I think it's a great value for 799. Although again being an 8bit panel it won't be able to display true HDR or Dolby Vision. But for general 1080p or 4k. I'm sure it will serve its purpose.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
The Samsung and LG models you listed don't even play a true HDR10 picture. As both of those tvs are still only an 8 bit panel. One needs at least a 10bit panel for actual HDR or you won't get the wide colour gamut. Hence the Vizio is better The Vizio M series is the only one of those three which is able to play HDR10 and Dolby vision. The Samsung does upconvert signals better for cable. But doesn't come close to the Vizio due to HDR/Dolby.

The Vizio is definitely superior to those other models. The P series is even better but for the price(700-1000 price range) nothing beats the M series. The next step up would be the Sony 900 series.
Thanks, I am going with the Vizio. Have heard nothing but good things from others as well. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Thanks, I am going with the Vizio. Have heard nothing but good things from others as well. Thanks.
You will love the tv, i actually have both the vizio m65 and the Samsung 50" MU6300(office tv), so have experienced both. Also, if the unit you get doesnt have the new remote with the netflix/youtube buttons, call the Canadian Vizio number and they will send you the updated remote for about 7 bucks. An FYI.

The m65 is currently 759 at costco now i believe. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post: