Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #821
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
If you're adding some loam and then sodding, not sure you'll get much value from rototilling. I'd pick out the obvious large rocks before you loam when you even out the clay soil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
^ I rototilled my backyard before seeding, it was great i had a nice broken up top soil to work with, shape and reform....

If I were to do it again i wouldn't rototill, i might add a little soil if i needed to, but i think all i did was stir up a bunch of weed seed. (can't say for sure though)

Hmmm... so not rototilling then eh. I dont want to make work but I'm torn now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
I am building a fence right now. I have the posts in. My neighbour wants to only do the posts this summer and then complete the fence portion next summer due to budget reasons.

Pretty standard fence, 4X4 posts, got a bobcat to dig the holes (3 feet down) using post haste concrete.

My concern is once the freeze comes in that the posts may twist. My question is do you think I am good or should I just eat the cost now and get him to pay me next summer to avoid this? If he says no, do I at least just brace them with 2X4s? Or should I be okay?

You 100% want to get the fence up ASAP. My last fence was 4x4 post and they twisted terribly and that was with the whole fence constructed. The fence we just built a couple weekends ago was 4x6 posts and haven't noticed any twisting yet but we did the whole thing immediately.
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #822
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whats the best product available for weed/grass/plant killer to wipe my mud pit yard clean before sod?

Total Wipe Out, Round Up, other?
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #823
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roundup, there is a reason it is the number 1 enemy of hippies.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:20 PM   #824
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone use a good landscape designer? Want to get the ball rolling on a redo of my yard next summer and be good to get a designer out while it is still green and trees have leaves.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #825
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I essentially inherited a dandelion farm when I bought this house (Bought in winter, never saw the lawn) and worked my arse off to get the lawn looking good, which it does now.

Now that cold weather is coming, is there anything I should know when it comes to prepping the lawn for winter so it comes out as best as possible in the Spring?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #826
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
So, I essentially inherited a dandelion farm when I bought this house (Bought in winter, never saw the lawn) and worked my arse off to get the lawn looking good, which it does now.

Now that cold weather is coming, is there anything I should know when it comes to prepping the lawn for winter so it comes out as best as possible in the Spring?
Fertilize and keep it watered until the cold arrives (since it seems to be winter already, so might be there). People sometimes let their lawns go into drought dormancy in the fall rather than the cold dormancy. Find doing so slows down the lawn in the spring.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #827
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

I cut mine a little shorter than normal just to make it less attractive to voles.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #828
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost that time of the year, anyone have any recommendations for a spring clean up package?

Also looking to have a tree pruned so if you know a good tree guy let me know.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 03-18-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #829
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

A really good friend of mine was in a terrible car crash in January and is still in the hospital. She always plants a garden but obviously that's not going to happen this year. She hopes to be going home by September or October. Which I think because of Thanksgiving is about the time gardens are ready to be harvested. So it would be nice if she had something to eat when she gets home.

Until recently I thought my veggie delight toppings were 3d printed in the back of the Subway. Is there a good read or website that will tell me what to plant, when, how, where to buy the seeds or acorns or beans whatever? Can I hire this out? Right now there's a murky square of dirty muck with some sticks or little trees or something sticking out. There's a green house and a water tap. I think I saw a worm too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #830
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I installed some sod in the fall. What now? Fertilizer? Water? Anything else to ensure it comes in nice?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #831
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
A really good friend of mine was in a terrible car crash in January and is still in the hospital. She always plants a garden but obviously that's not going to happen this year. She hopes to be going home by September or October. Which I think because of Thanksgiving is about the time gardens are ready to be harvested. So it would be nice if she had something to eat when she gets home.

Until recently I thought my veggie delight toppings were 3d printed in the back of the Subway. Is there a good read or website that will tell me what to plant, when, how, where to buy the seeds or acorns or beans whatever? Can I hire this out? Right now there's a murky square of dirty muck with some sticks or little trees or something sticking out. There's a green house and a water tap. I think I saw a worm too.

All I know is that my wife plants her seeds after may long weekend to avoid frost- but with a green-house, you can start sooner. You can pick up seeds at a lot of places - including home depot / lowes

Would be a very nice thing to do for your friend but keep in mind you will be tending to it all summer- apparently plants need a fairly regular supply of water to survive.
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #832
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wouldn't your friend be a great source of information? Or is she still not able to relay that information to you because of the accident?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #833
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If she isn't home until September or October, about the only things I can think of that would be harvestable then would be potatoes, carrots, beets and squash.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #834
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Wouldn't your friend be a great source of information? Or is she still not able to relay that information to you because of the accident?

I was thinking like a surprise. But this daily or every second day water thing might be tough. I live about 45 minutes away so that sucks.

So I get seeds from Home Depot (sorry steve earle)

Stick them in the ground (would the package have instructions on how deep etc?)

Water them every day or two
Pull all the bad weeds out
Profit?

I think Home Depot would sell stuff that grows well here. I also found a chart on line telling you when to plant stuff. So I guess I can do this. Maybe I'll recruit neighbors for watering duty.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #835
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could always pick up some soaker hoses and timers so you don't have to be there to water? Then you could pop by a little less for watering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 08:19 AM   #836
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You could always pick up some soaker hoses and timers so you don't have to be there to water? Then you could pop by a little less for watering.

They have those? That's a wicked idea.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find McKenzie brand seeds to well here, which are in most places. You can get the seed tape ones which may be easier for you. They have proper spacing already, so you just put them to the depth they say. I have the most luck with Yukon gold potatoes. Stay away from any of the fancy sounding purple ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #838
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking like a surprise. But this daily or every second day water thing might be tough. I live about 45 minutes away so that sucks.

So I get seeds from Home Depot (sorry steve earle)

Stick them in the ground (would the package have instructions on how deep etc?)

Water them every day or two
Pull all the bad weeds out
Profit?

I think Home Depot would sell stuff that grows well here. I also found a chart on line telling you when to plant stuff. So I guess I can do this. Maybe I'll recruit neighbors for watering duty.

Go with root vegetables if she is still long term in the hospital, maybe corn if she has a south facing fence.

Potatoes, carrots, beets, maybe turnips. Beets will mature mid-season, the rest don't have to be dug out until fall. Corn is harvested late August to mid September.

Spaghetti squash grows well here and some pumpkin does...both mature in fall and require minimal watering...they like sun and heat. Don't plant zucchini as it grows too fast when producing and has to be picked daily.

Just plant something to keep the weeds down so in following years she won't be faced with pulling a gazillion weeds.

And pull the weeds)) there will be some.
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #839
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best places to get seeds for Calgary climate is from seed catalogues like Stokes, Veseys, or Dominion. They specify seeds for colder soils and shorter growing seasons, actually say days to mature.

Home Depot etc sell generic seeds, many of which won't grow as well here as other places.
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #840
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Best places to get seeds for Calgary climate is from seed catalogues like Stokes, Veseys, or Dominion. They specify seeds for colder soils and shorter growing seasons, actually say days to mature.

Home Depot etc sell generic seeds, many of which won't grow as well here as other places.
My wife has spent the past few years mail ordering all these fancy seeds, and you know what still works best? The Mackenzie ones you can get anywhere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies