Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM   #21
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yup my email is pretty secure. I didn't think of placing all my passwords on a USB stick and locking them up. Even putting them in a safety deposit box at the bank is a good idea.

People don't take this stuff seriously enough until they get screwed.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #22
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is great to see so many people taking precautions around their passwords. I had my identity stolen a few years ago, but thankfully no financial damage was done.

I would say make sure to protect your paper like your digital. The guess was someone got my tax return and based on that was able to go to town signing up for just about everything they could. They even tried to switch my bank accounts to a guy in another city. Luckily I got a call from the bank in that city because a teller thought something was fishy. The guy had full fake ID and everything.

Anyways, we still have a paper environment. So buy a cross shredder and don’t keep any sensitive paper kicking around!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #23
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Another vote for KeePass. I do echo the issue of forgetting your master password would leave you screwed, however it's only 1 password to remember so I've never had an issue.

It's the program of choice here at work (software development). I currently have just over 100 passwords that all have different requirements/lengths/expiry dates. These are for various softwares we are developing or use, plus many for UAT testing and different sandbox applications. It is a life saver for me.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
You could keep a USB key with the password file in wherever you keep the master password hard copy, or a printout. Both won't get updated though.

Because I'm confident in the password I have on my password file, I have it in Dropbox for ease of access, so even if my house got nuked my passwords are fine.

EDIT: And I'd bet that almost all your other passwords are recoverable via email if necessary. Your email should be the most secure of any of your accounts, as that's the one that can unlock almost everything else.
I think for a lot of people if they had someone take over their email it would be game over. 2 factor authentication is a big must-have.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #25
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of the small bonuses of being unemployed for a bit was I had enough time on my hands to get everything organized into a password manager (LastPass) and enable two factor authentication on every account it was possible on. Email, social media, banking, Live account. Took a day or two but such a relief when it is all done.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #26
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure if this is the reason for the verification questions when you log in to some accounts, but if you provide a sufficiently strong password, do you avoid this nuisance? I am always question whether I put first car as "make model" or just "model" or weird things like that.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Google has a super easy 2 factor authentication built in where you get an alert on your phone when someone wants to login to Gmail. I thought that was pretty simple. Lastpass is important for me though and I find it super easy to manage now that I'm setup.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #28
Tolwyn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I use Dashlane myself, been using it for about 2 years now. I did quite a bit of research on the various ones available on the market and the platforms supported.

I would also highly recommend (much like others), turn on 2FA on anything and everything you have that supports it.
Tolwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tolwyn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #29
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

Any new recommendations? Have been using Lastpass but they are changing the free so you only get one set of devices that free will work on (either computers or mobile). I don't necessarily mind paying for a good product but seems like a good time to evaluate if there is a better option.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #30
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Bump.

Any new recommendations? Have been using Lastpass but they are changing the free so you only get one set of devices that free will work on (either computers or mobile). I don't necessarily mind paying for a good product but seems like a good time to evaluate if there is a better option.
I use BitWarden, which is open source. Previously used LastPass but I found that it got a bit annoying on mobile. Now I'm glad that I did.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #31
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

BitWarden is the best option I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #32
Jethro Choicebro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just got the email from LastPass...BitWarden seems to be the most heavily recommended. Trying it out now, so far so good - took maybe 5 mins to export my passwords over and get it up and running
Jethro Choicebro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #33
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

KeePass all the way!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Thanks for the Bitwarden recommendations. I was about to bite the bullet and pay for LastPass but their site kept crashing, guessing they're getting a ton of account upgrades right now. Checked out Bitwarden to see how well it worked and it was super easy to move everything over, and all the features I liked from LastPass are there and some are even better
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #35
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just deleted my LastPass account, their pricing model and device restrictions were the last straw for me. Bitwarden seems okay so far. I might sign up for a year of premium just to get all the security audit and clean up the duplicate passwords.

Anyone figure out a way to import mobile app passwords from chrome password manager? Bitwarden saves everything as the app name in android, like "com.whateverappcompany.appname", but all of Chrome's exports for apps show up as "Plain Text App Name description" which doesn't jive with the Bitwarden import process and imports as an invalid entry. Web passwords were super easy.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #36
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started with Last Pass on the advice of our IT guys but the latest email trouble me. I'm not a large mobile user but the idea of restricting it to only one type of device will make be consider alternatives since I am not too deep into it yet/ Bitwarden sounds promising based on what I see here.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #37
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Just started with Last Pass on the advice of our IT guys but the latest email trouble me. I'm not a large mobile user but the idea of restricting it to only one type of device will make be consider alternatives since I am not too deep into it yet/ Bitwarden sounds promising based on what I see here.
Even if you are deep into LastPass like I was, it took all of 30 seconds to export my password database from LastPass and import it into Bitwarden
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #38
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use Keeper and Roboform.

Keeper for some work clients. Has integrations into Active Directory.

Roboform for personal, but I chose them a decade ago and never checked to see how their reputation was.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #39
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I cancelled Dashlane after using it for a couple years because it was too expensive. Installed free bit warden, 13$ a year is reasonable. Is it worth it for premium on bitwarden.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #40
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I pay premium to help Bitwarden keep afloat. I don't even know what the benefits are.

It is one of those services where you literally want to give them your money to make sure they always stick around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: