Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Bike shops in Calgary?

Hi there,

I did a search and couldn't find much to answer my questions, so apologies if this is a fata. A few weeks ago, I discovered my bike was stolen out of our parkade at home, so I'm in the market for a fairly simple commuter/mountain bike that's light enough for me to lift onto racks at my workplace. (I'm a weakling of a girl). I probably won't use it a ton - it'd be about 15 minute bike ride to and from work. I would need about a 15 inch bike since I"m pretty short.

I did a tour through the Bike Shop and just can't justify spending $600-$1000 on a bike that will only see 30 minutes of riding a day, and only in good weather since I'm a weather suck.

Are there any bike shops that also sell used/trade in bikes? I did look at Goodlife bikes at Eau Claire that refurbs bikes, but they don't have much right now. I'd like to get one as soon as possible since my plantar fasciitis is flaring up in my feet and it's making the walk to work pretty painful.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I live in the downtown SW area, but can travel if it means finding a deal.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cactusbikeandski.ca/index.htm

I've never been there but I heard these people sell refurbed/used bikes and it's a decent place.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought mine and my wife's bike at Tuxedo Source for Sports. They've got a pretty good selection. We're in the same situation as you - 15 minute bike ride to and from work. So we went to Tuxedo and picked up a couple Giant mtb's at about $320 dollars each brand new.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wal Mart or Canadian Tire will sell you one. But you do get what you pay for.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
enthused
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Bike Root up at the U of C (you don't have to be a student)

http://www.bikeroot.ca/
enthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Check the buy/sell forum on www.pinkbike.com there's all kinds of deals right now.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, Costco is your best bet. About $200 for a road/MTB bike, maybe even less. It's not something I'd take trail riding, but if all you want is a cheap aluminum (at least I think they are) bike that even if it gets stolen you won't cry about it - costco's your game.

I once thought going used was going to be my solution to a similar problem. Turns out a used Specialized or GF is still going to be way more than $200.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd recommend finding a singlespeed someplace. You get what you pay for, and if you spend $200 for a mountain bike, you'll be having to get regular maintenance on the crap derailleurs and shifters. If it's just 15 min one way, a singlespeed should do the trick.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
I'd recommend finding a singlespeed someplace. You get what you pay for, and if you spend $200 for a mountain bike, you'll be having to get regular maintenance on the crap derailleurs and shifters. If it's just 15 min one way, a singlespeed should do the trick.

agree. unless there are massive hills, a single speed is perfect. get a bike that will last (and take care of it/lock it up).

have you tried craigslist? http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites (not sure what city you live in)

you should be able to find a good used one for a good price.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse11 View Post
Yup, if you are just using the bike for short commuting forget the bells and whistles (ok, you actually need a bell in this city) like full suspension, etc. get something that's well built and fairly light.

I still use my 13 year old bike to ride to work, ride in the mountains, whatever. It's a well built bike. Of course, I've replaced the front suspension, and last year the entire sproket/chain system, but get a good bike, and it will last you a long time. Don't pay for fancy things that you don't need.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

You get what you pay for with a new bike. Honestly a $400 bike from a real bike shop will preform much better than a $200 bike from a department store. The brand name bike will be lighter with better components resulting in a more enjoyable ride. It will also have better brakes and be put together by builders that are actually judged on their performance resulting in a safer ride. You're also more likely to get 10 years out of a higher quality bike making it cheaper in the long run.

Go talk to the guys (and gals) at Ridley's on 10th street in Kensington. They have a great selection of bikes that can be used for comutting with a knowledgeable and friendly staff.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
millhouse11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Go talk to the guys (and gals) at Ridley's on 10th street in Kensington. They have a great selection of bikes that can be used for comutting with a knowledgeable and friendly staff.
I heard on friday that Ridley's was now offering lifetime service with your bike too. Not sure if that's true, but it may be something to check out. Calgary Cycle offers lifetime service, but you need to up your price substantially to shop there.
millhouse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Tower
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A not for profit bike shop is in the Eu Claire market. It's right at the front entrance. You can build it or fix one up and get some sweet training.
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

there is also a tent on the river path by about 8th st. maybe try talking to them? I'm on my way to see what they're all about.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm torn on what I want to do yet, part of me just wants a cheapie wal-mart bike, another part of me wants to shell out the cash for a nice commuter bike. My work provides me a "transportation allowance" no matter how I commute (which right now is by foot or the odd bus ride), so I'm tempted to justify a lower priced good bike ($500 ish) by throwing my transportation allowance towards it.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you have a decent bike, you're more likely to want to ride it as well. Let the company help out, spend $500 and I guarantee you'll be happier than getting a Canadian Tire special.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
if you have a decent bike, you're more likely to want to ride it as well. Let the company help out, spend $500 and I guarantee you'll be happier than getting a Canadian Tire special.
Well said.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Agreed with Habernac,
I did the sport check special years ago, broke it, it sucked, it was embarassing to ride, I gave it to my mother, years later bought myself a decent bike - I like taking it out and now I want another one. Fun times
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Oh, and the tent guy is just like a mobile mechanic, same day service, does most stuff, no shock stuff though.. or I might be wrong, but thought that's what he said.

Is $60 much for a tune?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I like BowCycle. Lots of selection in all price ranges.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike , shopping