Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #81
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be a Gary Bettman endorsed betting app where he sings a gambling version of “Scatman”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #82
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
Never thought that I would get sick of Jesse Pinkman, and yet here we are.
Between Jesse Pinkman and Wayne the game Gretzky and his botoxed face, those ads are pure cringe.

But worse of all is Cabby and that other goof Andy or whatever his name is, with the ####ed up teeth who can't stop smiling. Both with extremely slappable faces as they ramble on about whatever the odds are. Cabby is just the worst and has been for over a decade. Can't stand that guy.

The spirit of Gamblor is strong in this league.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:47 PM   #83
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Only thing gross is how pointless it is ! Give me some insights or arbitrage opportunities ! I can look up the odds myself !
Arbitrage only comes up where there is asymmetrical information. You have to know something the regular punters don't. That ain't happening when the information is out there on national TV.

Quote:
The entire intermission should be gambling experts on the bets to beat the house for each period !
Not going to happen when the house is paying for the broadcast.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:03 AM   #84
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With how prevalent gambling and substance abuse issues are within pro hockey circles, to have the Great One acting as the poster boy for convenient betting apps/sites, its embarrassingly tone deaf and a bad look for the game and league.

Mind you, not like they've been doing themselves any favors for a while now (parking ticket-level fine to the Hawks for Kyle Beach, delay on akim aliu investigation, letting coach Q be behind the bench after information went public, letting Kane play again almost immediately, etc, etc..)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 02:18 AM   #85
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
With how prevalent gambling and substance abuse issues are within pro hockey circles, to have the Great One acting as the poster boy for convenient betting apps/sites, its embarrassingly tone deaf and a bad look for the game and league.

Mind you, not like they've been doing themselves any favors for a while now (parking ticket-level fine to the Hawks for Kyle Beach, delay on akim aliu investigation, letting coach Q be behind the bench after information went public, letting Kane play again almost immediately, etc, etc..)
The other spokesperson got famous by making meth dealing exciting.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:02 AM   #86
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only thing gross is how pointless it is ! Give me some insights or arbitrage opportunities ! I can look up the odds myself !

The entire intermission should be gambling experts on the bets to beat the house for each period !
What does it ####ing matter? Unless your in Ontario ####s no good from the get go.

Ita all terrible anyways let's just get everyone hooked on betting.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:10 AM   #87
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
What does it ####ing matter? Unless your in Ontario ####s no good from the get go.
Actually, Ontario just opened single bet sports betting . Parlays were always allowed. And the rest of Canada had opened in the summer. Ontario is just the biggest market in Canada, so the advertising blitz started. Play Alberta adds were on regularly well before. I guess people just ignored them.

Play Alberta launched in Sept of 2021 and is the only regulated Alberta betting site.

Quote:
Ita all terrible anyways let's just get everyone hooked on betting
Why is it terrible? Because you don't like Gambling. For 98% of people who gamble it is a fun entertainment/past time. The average person spends $500 in gambling a year in Canada (40$ a month - Effectively going and seeing a movie)

Sure there are problem gamblers (Although the rate of problematic gambling has actually decreased in Canada for the past 20 years - Mostly in lottery and scratch and wins and VLT's)

But why the outrage over sports betting adds? How many times do you see the Lotto 6/49 advertisements as the Jackpot grows? Why isn't there outrage over the Lottery advertising? Where are the "God another 6/49 add - We get it , the Jackpot is $60 million"

Or Liquor adds. Or Mobile Gaming like Clash of Clans that are way worst then gambling for addiction.

Or what about the most damaging company to our youth if were playing the "think of the kids" card (Even though kids can't gamble).

The company that has brought an entire generation into obesity and heart disease by putting toys in their meals, building play centers in their restaurants and having a clown as their mascot while popularizing fast, cheap, unhealthy food. Clearly preying on young kids to get them hooked young and continue a cycle that has severally crippled the health of North America.

Or is that ok because you like Big Macs?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #88
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, Ontario just opened single bet sports betting . Parlays were always allowed. And the rest of Canada had opened in the summer. Ontario is just the biggest market in Canada, so the advertising blitz started. Play Alberta adds were on regularly well before. I guess people just ignored them.

Play Alberta launched in Sept of 2021 and is the only regulated Alberta betting site.

Why is it terrible? Because you don't like Gambling. For 98% of people who gamble it is a fun entertainment/past time. The average person spends $500 in gambling a year in Canada (40$ a month - Effectively going and seeing a movie)

Sure there are problem gamblers (Although the rate of problematic gambling has actually decreased in Canada for the past 20 years - Mostly in lottery and scratch and wins and VLT's)

But why the outrage over sports betting adds? How many times do you see the Lotto 6/49 advertisements as the Jackpot grows? Why isn't there outrage over the Lottery advertising? Where are the "God another 6/49 add - We get it , the Jackpot is $60 million"

Or Liquor adds. Or Mobile Gaming like Clash of Clans that are way worst then gambling for addiction.

Or what about the most damaging company to our youth if were playing the "think of the kids" card (Even though kids can't gamble).

The company that has brought an entire generation into obesity and heart disease by putting toys in their meals, building play centers in their restaurants and having a clown as their mascot while popularizing fast, cheap, unhealthy food. Clearly preying on young kids to get them hooked young and continue a cycle that has severally crippled the health of North America.

Or is that ok because you like Big Macs?
Are you not annoyed by the sheer volume of betting ads?
Are you not annoyed when Fan 960 has a 30 minute segment on sports betting, often in regards to sports that no one cares about?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #89
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Are you not annoyed by the sheer volume of betting ads?
Are you not annoyed when Fan 960 has a 30 minute segment on sports betting, often in regards to sports that no one cares about?
No because I don't pay all that much attention to the adds and realize that TV and Radio have to have advertisements or charge me more to use those services?

And "Sports that no one cares about" - Again, its just Sports YOU don't care about. Guess what - Lots of people like other sports !

They don't annoy me anymore then other annoying adds. Lots of adds are annoying. (And we already have a thread in Entertainment for annoying adds)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #90
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No because I don't pay all that much attention to the adds and realize that TV and Radio have to have advertisements or charge me more to use those services?

And "Sports that no one cares about" - Again, its just Sports YOU don't care about. Guess what - Lots of people like other sports !

They don't annoy me anymore then other annoying adds. Lots of adds are annoying. (And we already have a thread in Entertainment for annoying adds)
I wish I had your ability to tune it out so well.
In the meantime, I can't help but be annoyed.

I also find cryptocurrency ads to be pretty annoying. But that's besides the point.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #91
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started noticing it on 960, last year. Now it’s made it’s way to network television. It’s so blatantly obvious too. I’m starting to wonder what advertising strategies are being used in us, that aren’t so obvious. They’ve always had a few tricks up their sleeves.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #92
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We are getting to the point where they will put up odds of scoring at the beginning of a PP with betting instructions.

Between this and jersey ads, I am becoming less interested in the NHL.

Last edited by the_only_turek_fan; 05-23-2022 at 01:19 PM.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #93
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

You have to look at it as someone trying to get your money. Sure people win and some may even make a living at it but betting on sports is tough to win in my opinion.

Last edited by Macman; 05-23-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:27 PM   #94
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe a bit off-topic but in the same vein... sponsors of Youtube channels have included online gambling sites, loot boxes (pay money for a mystery box that's usually junk trinkets), and crypto-wallets/sites.

Something has to be done to regulate who sees these ads as there are millions of kids who will grow up watching sports or youtube and are now over-exposed to this from a young age. It's ####ing gross man.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #95
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Maybe a bit off-topic but in the same vein... sponsors of Youtube channels have included online gambling sites, loot boxes (pay money for a mystery box that's usually junk trinkets), and crypto-wallets/sites.

Something has to be done to regulate who sees these ads as there are millions of kids who will grow up watching sports or youtube and are now specifically targeted to this from a young age. It's ####ing gross man.
Fixed for accuracy.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #96
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jason - thanks as I thought (for me) anywyas that you provided a bit of perspective that I had not considered.

i guess the volume because they are letting several sites advertise nightly and the repetition are really annoying.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:59 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Between Jesse Pinkman and Wayne the game Gretzky and his botoxed face, those ads are pure cringe.

But worse of all is Cabby and that other goof Andy or whatever his name is, with the ####ed up teeth who can't stop smiling. Both with extremely slappable faces as they ramble on about whatever the odds are. Cabby is just the worst and has been for over a decade. Can't stand that guy.

The spirit of Gamblor is strong in this league.
It's not the league, it's Rogers that's taking on the advertising revenue from these gambling companies. The floodgates have opened and I don't think it's great but I would hope eventually a lot of these gambling companies get weeded out and there's less ads in the future.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #98
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There should be a Gary Bettman endorsed betting app where he sings a gambling version of “Scatman”.
It's Gary Betman - Biden knew it all along.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1518656997658435584
Old 05-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy's almost 80. You expect him to remember a name that was just floated in front of him? It's not like he's in charge of one of the most powerful nations in the world or anything....
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #100
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just reminds me of Clinton's doomed attempts to pronounce "Yzerman".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
In an ideal world, gambling can be a healthy hobby. With the NFL, fantasy football in particular has made the NFL infinitely more watchable; gambling can also make sports viewing more enjoyable.
See, I don't get this. Fantasy football or hockey or whatever, sure, but the incremental enjoyment there is that there's a social aspect to it of trash talking with your friends, having a get together to do a draft, trades, and so on. I even get an emotional hedge - if your team is in game 7 and you know it's going to hurt if they lose, betting on the enemy to take the edge off. And of course I get betting on something purely to make money because you like the odds.

But the whole "MAKE EVERY GAME FEEL LIKE A GAME 7" thing they advertise, as if by putting monetary stakes on anything you can make it important to you, that is just so... troubling to me. You're trying to trick yourself into caring about a game you wouldn't otherwise even watch, or trying to force a dopamine hit when something that otherwise would not matter to you pays out 50 bucks or whatever? Yeesh... Find a new hobby; that's just pathetic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:

Tags
sports betting