Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #1841
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really have any answers for you. I'd have have to rent, so whatever that would cost. Would likely use more paint too, so the added cost is a concern. The time saving is the biggest for me. I'd love to get it done in an evening after work as opposed to spending an entire Saturday or Sunday doing it.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #1842
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I don't really have any answers for you. I'd have have to rent, so whatever that would cost. Would likely use more paint too, so the added cost is a concern. The time saving is the biggest for me. I'd love to get it done in an evening after work as opposed to spending an entire Saturday or Sunday doing it.
Really, you don't need to answer me. But I'd make a few calls to find out how much it is to rent (or if you know someone that could lend you one *cough*CP Braintrust*cough*).

It might be super cheap, it might mean a few hundred dollars buys you your weekend back.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #1843
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A decent electric Wagner sprayer will run you $150 but they do make smaller and cheaper options. It will cut down on the time considerably as it adheres really quickly and if you have good paint, it may only require one coat. The clean up for these things is annoying but you could say the same about all paint jobs.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #1844
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
A decent electric Wagner sprayer will run you $150 but they do make smaller and cheaper options. It will cut down on the time considerably as it adheres really quickly and if you have good paint, it may only require one coat. The clean up for these things is annoying but you could say the same about all paint jobs.
Wagner Electric Paint Sprayer (Model W320) on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/calgary/wagner-electric-paint-sprayer-model-w320/1374505958?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content= app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #1845
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea how well they work, but can you just buy one of these things, and use a compressor? And if you don't have one, well now is the time!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.h...000750220.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #1846
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have no idea how well they work, but can you just buy one of these things, and use a compressor? And if you don't have one, well now is the time!

I find these tricky as (the one I had) had difficulty pushing the paint through, the paint was a bit thick.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #1847
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Hmm interesting. I do have a compressor but it's a small one designed for my vehicle tires. I wonder if it would work? I'll have to figure out if it might work.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #1848
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I find these tricky as (the one I had) had difficulty pushing the paint through, the paint was a bit thick.

I think you're supposed to thin the paint a bit when you use a sprayer. Just add some water to latex or thinner to oil paint.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #1849
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only downside to a sprayer is they use a fair bit more paint and you have to deal with overspray.

The time savings are worth it, especially for a fence which has lots of nooks and crannys that make brushing a really chore.

The finish is also nicer and more consistent than brushing, a lot less drips and runs too.

I rented a commercial sprayer for a house and bought 20L pails of paint and it hooked right up to the pail. no issues at all. I wouldn't bother buying one of those dinky sprayers when rental is less money.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #1850
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I was wondering how bad the paint would spray on my neighbours house and how to mitigate that. That might be a deal breaker.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #1851
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm interesting. I do have a compressor but it's a small one designed for my vehicle tires. I wonder if it would work? I'll have to figure out if it might work.
What opendoor said below

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 08-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #1852
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't really want to use a compressor driven gun on a project like a fence anyway even if you have the capacity. They're usually suited to spraying lower viscosity fluids to produce a finer mist for smooth finishes on things like cabinetry, millwork, metal, etc. For higher viscosity paint over large areas an airless sprayer like a Titan or Wagner is the way to go.

Though no matter what you use, overspray can be an issue. Having the right size tip, correct pressure, and good technique can mitigate that somewhat, but only to a point. You can also staple drop cloth to the top of the fence and drape it over to the neighbor's side to catch most of the overspray through any gaps or lattice, but at a certain point you're just too close to another house or car or whatever to be able to safely spray.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1853
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I was wondering how bad the paint would spray on my neighbours house and how to mitigate that. That might be a deal breaker.
Buy a bunch of x-large cardboard moving boxes, cut them open so they flatten out, and staple gun them on the neighbours side of the fence having them stand up higher than the top of the fence. Staple them so they sit flush to the majority of the boards unless the other side is getting sprayed too.

Please note: I’ve never done this or seen anyone doing it but it’d be the first thing that I’d try to keep overspray off the neighbours yard. Also need permission of the neighbour to get on his side and also to put staple holes in.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #1854
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez maybe I should just hand paint it, lol.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #1855
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should contract the neighborhood kids to do it for $100. A little more than a rental, but zero effort on your part.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #1856
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
That's awesome.

I don't have power running to my shed, but would like to have a light in there.

Is anyone familiar with the solar panel, led lights?

Something like so: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...FVKsaQodHp4Bfw
40 lumens isn't a lot of light, that's the only issue I see with that setup.

I bought this motion security light for my back deck.

It is amazingly bright and runs on rechargeable AA batteries. It will be interesting to see how it lasts this winter.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #1857
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's not that bad actually, it is dependent on the pressure you use and how thin the paint is. And your technique. Haha. Moreso that it is hard not to have overspray on plants, grass, and anything close to the fence (within 1 ft of spray path) As for general overspray, buy a couple cheap tarps and hang them and problem solved.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #1858
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And it goes without saying but spray on a calm day.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #1859
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe slightly OT, but looking for recommendations for humidifiers. I know the best bet is integrating into the HVAC system, but we're in a townhouse and only plan to stay another year or two. Any recs for 'portable' units that won't spray white dust everywhere with our hard water? Will I want one for upstairs and one for main?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #1860
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever ripped out and replaced one of these old 60s vents with something new?

Have something nibbling at the mesh above the hoodvent, and this is the only possible entry I've been able to find.

It also flaps around every time a breeze comes by, so I want it out anyway...

But is there anyway around having to find siding to fill the gap here? The width is much larger than the 5" vent I was hoping to replace it with.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote