Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #1621
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I emailed the city and got this reply:

1) Exterior outlets installed on a detached garage shall be GFCI protected as per 26-712(n) but are not required to be fed from a separate circuit.

2) The wires can be terminated in the panel but not installed onto the breakers or they can be just installed to the panel and not terminated – your choice.

3)
CAFCI protection for receptacles is not required for detached garages.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #1622
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pancake boxes...I've used a few for exterior lights. They don't have anything to secure the wire like a normal box. Are you required to add anything for this, or just have a staple within 30cm of the box?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #1623
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pancake boxes...I've used a few for exterior lights. They don't have anything to secure the wire like a normal box. Are you required to add anything for this, or just have a staple within 30cm of the box?
I think you can't have a wire come through a metal knock out without protection
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #1624
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, I'll see if I can somehow make a cable clamp work with it...
I've also got these "extra duty" outdoor outlet boxes, as required. But they have a big opening in the back similar to this:

So, same question there, do I need to secure the cable, or just drill through the sheathing and run the wire into it? The manual that cane with the box is of no help on this.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #1625
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That still needs on outlet box mounted in the wall. Its basically just replacing the cover plate.

you need a clamp like this for your pancake.

speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #1626
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drill a hole big enough in the sheating to have the connector recess into the sheating.thats how I did all my lights
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #1627
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfect, ya I've done that now. Makes sense. Same with the outdoor receptacles. End of the day yesterday I mounted them and was kinda brain dead at the time. Of course it makes sense now that they are just covers! Sigh. Time to take them all off. Probably about halfway through pulling wires now, coffee break. Was hoping to have one more warm day before the end of the year, but the forecast does not look promising.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #1628
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the hot water tank pilot light going out every now and then mean anything? Is it potentially on the fritz? Easy enough to re-light it, but still a PITA.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #1629
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Does the hot water tank pilot light going out every now and then mean anything? Is it potentially on the fritz? Easy enough to re-light it, but still a PITA.
Could be the thermocouple going. It won't send gas through the Pilot if it's not reading if there is a Flames present. You can try lightly sanding it or just replacing it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #1630
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Replacing the thermocouple isn't too hard either luckily. There are ways to test it based on the voltage it puts through when hot, but I found that to be a PITA, so just bought a new one for $9 and turned out to be the problem.

Just pay attention (and take pictures) of the location/routing of the thermocouple vs. flame before and during removal.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #1631
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just installed a new subfloor in the bathroom, time to research in-floor heating.

Rona sells "Easy Heat Warm Tiles".
Home Depot sells "True Comfort".

Both similar but wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other or something different.

Thanks!
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #1632
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put a WarmlyYours Tempzone Flex roll (ordered from Home Depot online) in my mudroom. It was super easy to install and had good instructions and their website has good info and videos. I liked that I could get a kit that came with a thermostat, tester, and in floor temp sensor. I will probably upgrade the thermostat though eventually to a programmable one.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #1633
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My gas hot water tank (about 15 yrs old) seems to have a reduced capacity lately (showers turn cold faster). Is there anything that can be done by myself or a plumber to restore the full capacity? (ie a flush of some sort?)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #1634
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You could do some investigating and trouble shooting, but the life of gas hot water tanks are about 15 years anyway. So depending on what's wrong, you may have to just bite the bullet.

Disclaimer: Im not a plumber and don't know what's wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #1635
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lookup "broken dip tube" I think that is one of the symptoms. You can drain it from the bottom, and if bits of plastic come out, that's probably the issue. They can be replaced fairly easily. But like sa226 said, 15 years is near EOL anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #1636
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed - sounds like a cracked or broken dip tube. I'd replace the dip tube.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #1637
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Just installed a new subfloor in the bathroom, time to research in-floor heating.

Rona sells "Easy Heat Warm Tiles".
Home Depot sells "True Comfort".

Both similar but wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other or something different.

Thanks!
All (most) tilers will use the Schluter heating product. The heating cables snap into the waterproofing membrane (Ditra) and you tile right over that. It is also a decoupling membrane. Easy as pie to run.

I bought one of those mats you referenced above and my tiler basically laughed at me and asked me to return it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 07:19 AM   #1638
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
You could do some investigating and trouble shooting, but the life of gas hot water tanks are about 15 years anyway. So depending on what's wrong, you may have to just bite the bullet.

Disclaimer: Im not a plumber and don't know what's wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
You're right, he's living on borrowed time.

I would do the following;

check dip tube, probably the issue.

Remove and clean the burner, it's probably not burning evenly.

while the dip tube is out check the anode too.

If you have access to an inspection camera stick it in and look around. You proably have a ton of calcium build up in there which will reduce capacity. Mine is 8 years old and has probably got a gallons worth in it. This is also where corrosion begins inside the tank so the more deposits you have the more chance there is of it rusting through.

I got lucky this winter, mine was leaking and I thought it was a goner but it turned out the drain valve had cracked. I pulled it and replaced it with a brass one, and had a look inside. It was actually in great condition but the build up is concerning.

A conventional water heater is only about $500 and you could do most of the install yourself and hire a gasfitter to do the hookup. It's worth the investment, if you can't do it now put it on the short list and start saving.

BTW, If you haven't been flushing it once or twice a year, and you go do it now you could break some sediment off and actually accelerate the corrosion process, so be prepared.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #1639
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, in the bathroom we have some water supply lines that are pex coming up through the floor. Originally our vanity hid them and we didn't care, and we didn't think much about it as the tile guys tiled around them. We hadn't thought about the interior design of the bathroom and recently started thinking about a wall-mounted vanity. Except, these ugly supply lines would maybe be visible coming up from the floor. I think its too late now to run them up through the wall, so is there anything nice looking that can be safely wrapped around or slid over the pex to make it look a little more classy but not violate any plumbing codes?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #1640
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there are any codes you would be violating by covering them in a creative fasion but I don't know what's out there that would work. You might be able to find a larger diameter pipe and slide it over them, a chrome rod of some sort. You might have to remove the shut offs and re crimp to do so.

A lot of people don't know but you really shouldn't have pex exposed as it is a form of plastic and susceptible to UV. Over time (probably many many years) it can degrade and be at risk, particularly if in direct sunlight.

Have you thought of a pedestal sink just to hide the lines? Most wall mounts are sold in two pieces, and you can buy one or both.