Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #3641
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
If you have the room, you're better off drywalling over the ceiling. It'll be quicker, even, and save you a ton of headaches.

That's what we did. Turns out really well.
Small edge-case problem with this approach, I bought a house where the previous owner had done this and I wanted to change all the pot lights out with LED fixtures. The new thicker ceiling is a bit of a pain to fit cheap and cheerful fixtures on as they have a limited thickness range on the clips.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #3642
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are some recommended roofing companies in Calgary? I need to finally have my old garage roof replaced and I'm hoping to do it this year. I'm considering doing something that is longer lasting and hail resistant like the Euroshield products.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:04 PM   #3643
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
What are some recommended roofing companies in Calgary? I need to finally have my old garage roof replaced and I'm hoping to do it this year. I'm considering doing something that is longer lasting and hail resistant like the Euroshield products.
I’d recommend Rockyview Roofing. They fixed a portion of my roof which was done incorrectly the first time and it looks so much better now
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #3644
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I had Epic do my roof twice now. Both times I had good service and I would use them again if I had any roofing issues.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #3645
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe someone here knows.
I have to rebuild an existing deck. The deck coming down was the second one at this property and built poorly, too close to the property line and without a permit. The original deck is what is on the property report. I am basically going to recreate the original deck in size but with updated materials (pressure treated lumber, composite decking). Do I need a permit to rebuild or no?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #3646
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I have to rebuild an existing deck. The deck coming down was the second one at this property and built poorly, too close to the property line and without a permit. The original deck is what is on the property report. I am basically going to recreate the original deck in size but with updated materials (pressure treated lumber, composite decking). Do I need a permit to rebuild or no?
Technically speaking yes. You can probably get away with not pulling one if you're on good terms with the neighbor who's property line it's against. Might have to rectify that when you sell but also might get missed if you rebuild exactly to spec.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #3647
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

>2’ above grade at any point, I believe so.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:37 AM   #3648
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been told the inspectors keep an eye out for construction activity, so you might get caught. Not sure what the fine is. I don't think the cost is that high(relative to material costs these days), so probably worth doing it right. And they will make sure you actually build it right.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #3649
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did the same thing a few years back.

Replaced an aging deck...same dimensions / height etc...

Contractor said no but I went and got a permit anyway.

Final inspection revealed a few things the contractor missed so it was good value.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3650
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it 2' above grade at any point, or below? Are we talking Calgary?
https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...ons/decks.html
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #3651
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Typically unless you are only replacing the decking surface a building permit is required, not sure if composite decking changes that or not. If you are replacing the structure (joists/beams) then a permit is required. It'll be treated as a new structure and will need to meet the deck setback rules (not allowed in sideyard) previous deck location won't factor into it.https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...ons/decks.html
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #3652
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Typically unless you are only replacing the decking surface a building permit is required, not sure if composite decking changes that or not. If you are replacing the structure (joists/beams) then a permit is required. It'll be treated as a new structure and will need to meet the deck setback rules (not allowed in sideyard) previous deck location won't factor into it.https://www.calgary.ca/pda/pd/home-b...ons/decks.html
This is not true, and is clear in the link you posted. If it's below 2' from grade you don't need a permit.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:59 PM   #3653
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
This is not true, and is clear in the link you posted. If it's below 2' from grade you don't need a permit.
Sorry I should have provided more clarity. A deck is an uncovered structure that is above 2' from grade, anything below that is considered a patio (no location rules, permit not required).
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #3654
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Latest project finished:

Before
Spoiler!

After
Spoiler!

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/QH89b1l

Last edited by Torture; 03-25-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #3655
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Latest project finished:
{pantry}
What do you estimate time and cost to be?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #3656
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^^

Noice!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #3657
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Project "Eat all my food"?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #3658
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
What do you estimate time and cost to be?
I thought it would take a week, but it took about two. (not working solid, just as I had time on evenings/weekends). I had the plywood cut a little bit too big so I had to spend a lot of time being a perfectionist and getting it a bit smaller so that there wasn't any overhang and it fit perfectly.

All in, less than $1,000. Biggest single cost was the wood (looks like I spent about $200 on that trip for the plywood, can't seem to find the receipt for the 2x2s or the wallpaper). Other than that, just misc supplies - screws, brackets, caulk, etc.

Last edited by Torture; 03-25-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #3659
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Latest project finished:

Before
Spoiler!

After
Spoiler!

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/QH89b1l
Pretty thankful my wife doesn't browse CP, you're making the rest of us look bad.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #3660
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Pretty thankful my wife doesn't browse CP, you're making the rest of us look bad.
HAH, keep her off Pinterest, Reddit, and HGTV while your at it.
Figured we might as well use the year to work on the house while we're stuck here anyways. We've finished a lot of projects and I don't think I've even shared all of them here

Just off the top of my head in the past year we've:
-Painted (almost) the whole house
-Dug out a front garden
-Dug up all the snow on the mountain in the side garden (backbreaking work, that stuff is terrible)
-Front paver pathway around front garden
-Side yard paver pathway
-Removed back fence and replaced w/ a gate
-Added still more garden beds
-Planted lots of plants, shrubs, etc.
-Fixed negative grade of the backyard
-Poured a concrete landing/extra step for basement b/c of higher grade of backyard)
-Sledgehammered out concrete pathway to garage / replaced with stepping stones
-Removed landing for the garage / reconfigured into stairs
-Powder room reno (tiling, beadboard, etc that I shared earlier)
-Small changes to guest bathroom (new fixtures, etc)
-Re-did front entry closet
-Shiplap entrance wall
-New window coverings
-Pantry

It's like a whole new house but somehow there's still more on the to do list...good thing we have a third wave coming I guess...

We moved an apple tree from our front yard (who plants an apple tree in the front yard?) to our back yard against the garage with the plan to try and espalier it so the next project is to set up the support structure for that and to prune it into the right shape. Not sure if it will work but should be really cool if it ends up working.

(not my tree but what it hopefully looks like if this experiment works)

Last edited by Torture; 03-25-2021 at 03:20 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: