Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #21
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by bizaro86; 05-01-2019 at 04:10 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #22
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you paying on insurance for two cars? Looking at getting a second car and combined we would be 350 a month. Is that in the ballpark? Seems crazy high and will shop but what is normal?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
What are you paying on insurance for two cars? Looking at getting a second car and combined we would be 350 a month. Is that in the ballpark? Seems crazy high and will shop but what is normal?
I'm around $190/mo for a car and truck. I raised the deductible on the truck however, but likely not to account for that much of a difference.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #24
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My renewal was in April and I called TD Meloche Monnex to review my rates and coverage.

My "avg # of kilometers driven" was way over stated.

I forgot to adjust this as my wife is now on mat leave and probably wont be returning to work. The number of km's she puts on is now a fraction of what it used to be as she worked in Chestermere.

The customer service agent said this factor has a huge rating on the premium so make sure you review this.

Your rate sounds mega high.
I pay $205/month for 2 cars.

Also, decline any windshield coverage. They are cheap to pay out of pocket for.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #25
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Windshield coverage definitely isn't worth it; I paid $155 for a brand new one a couple years ago
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren't new windshields for vehicles with the cameras something like $800-$1500 now? I'm sure insurance finds a way to only cover $150 or whatever though...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Aren't new windshields for vehicles with the cameras something like $800-$1500 now? I'm sure insurance finds a way to only cover $150 or whatever though...
Some of them have built in heaters for the wiper blades too. I thought it was stupid too until we looked into the replacement cost of some of the newer car windshields. It's not a clear cut decision to get or not get, but it's pretty damn close.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #28
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good point - might be way higher cost for a windshield with heaters, cameras etc (mine has none of that so probably the cheapest price possible). If I had a higher end windshield I may consider getting coverage but it would depend on the fine print, deductible, etc
Old 05-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #29
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone with a rain sensor, backup camera and automatic collision detection built into his windshield, I definitely recommend people in the same boat get windshield insurance.

Few more bucks a month, but my windshield is $900-$1000 to replace.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #30
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updated experiences with who to go with for auto (and home for that matter) insurance. Currently with TD Meloche and up for renewal. Seems like rates have gone up but have to go back and go thru. Only claim we ever put in for was roof hail damage and was actually impressed with service at that time (not so much with the roofing company but that's another story).
Old 07-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #31
jeffh
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I recently switched to Td from cooperaters for house. I am with Rogers for auto. I spoke to Touchstone and would have saved at least $200 if I went with them for both. But timing for renewal didn’t work out this year, so I will try next year with Touchstone.
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #32
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
I recently switched to Td from cooperaters for house. I am with Rogers for auto. I spoke to Touchstone and would have saved at least $200 if I went with them for both. But timing for renewal didn’t work out this year, so I will try next year with Touchstone.
Just to clarify - Touchstone and Rogers Insurance are not insurance companies. They are insurance brokerages who will bring you access to multiple insurers who support the broker network such as Intact, Aviva, Travelers, and Wawanesa.

TD is a direct writer as is RBC and AMA.

Cooperators uses the agency model where they use approved agents to sell their product locally. These agents do not sell anything other than Cooperators product.

I'm guessing that you may already know this but its a rather confusing concept for a lot of people!
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've really been liking Sonnet. Similiar in price to what I was getting with Intact before, but the convenience of being 100% online, never having to talk to someone or wait 3 days for a broker to call or email me back. So simple I love it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 PM   #34
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
Just to clarify - Touchstone and Rogers Insurance are not insurance companies. They are insurance brokerages who will bring you access to multiple insurers who support the broker network such as Intact, Aviva, Travelers, and Wawanesa.

TD is a direct writer as is RBC and AMA.

Cooperators uses the agency model where they use approved agents to sell their product locally. These agents do not sell anything other than Cooperators product.

I'm guessing that you may already know this but its a rather confusing concept for a lot of people!
Don’t forget places like brokerlink who are “brokers” but really just agents who write for intact. Insurance is confusing and going to get even more so in the future!

As I mentioned before if you have access to a group program you should really look into it. Normally the savings are quite substantial compared to what you get off the street. Think alumni, employer, associations you may be affiliated with. Rates are going to be going up substantially once government allows increases so make sure you have the proper coverages and aren’t leaving money on the table.

Last edited by fundmark19; 07-18-2019 at 10:40 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #35
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Do not use Wawanesa. Absolutely terrible customer service.

I was hit twice in the last 2 years and the other parties were 100% at fault (including a hit and run where I caught their plate and the police tracked them down).

Wawanesa has not been able to get the other party's insurance company to cooperate in either case. It takes many many emails and phone calls to get a bitchy update saying "we still can't reach them". It's been 7 months since the hit and run, and I'm still waiting to be reimbursed.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #36
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Do not use Wawanesa. Absolutely terrible customer service.

I was hit twice in the last 2 years and the other parties were 100% at fault (including a hit and run where I caught their plate and the police tracked them down).

Wawanesa has not been able to get the other party's insurance company to cooperate in either case. It takes many many emails and phone calls to get a bitchy update saying "we still can't reach them". It's been 7 months since the hit and run, and I'm still waiting to be reimbursed.
So the other insurance company won't cooperate and that makes Wawanesa terrible? It sounds like some major details are missing in this review.

If you don't think they are doing their best to protect you file a complaint with the Ombudsman. https://www.alberta.ca/insurance-con...omplaints.aspx

Last edited by Raekwon; 07-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #37
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I paid my annual renewal a couple months ago, $1700 for two vehicles from cooperators. Basic coverage, no accidents, no tickets
Old 07-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #38
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
So the other insurance company won't cooperate and that makes Wawanesa terrible? It sounds like some major details are missing in this review.

If you don't think they are doing their best to protect you file a complaint with the Ombudsman. https://www.alberta.ca/insurance-con...omplaints.aspx
No, Wawanesa is terrible because it takes 5-10 attempts to reach my rep to find out what's going on with my file 6 months later. Many emails and phone calls go unreturned. They completely ghost their own customers. I understand there can be a lack of progress in insurance claims, but the completely absent customer service is unacceptable.

My previous collision ended over a year later with Wawanesa informing they'd given up trying to collect, after my file bounced around between 4 different adjusters who never informed me it was being transferred or who I was now dealing with. Zero communication.

They have a 1.7/5 review average on Google, and they're essentially all the same: "My Wawanesa adjuster/representative will not return my calls. When they finally did they were unbelievably rude."

1.9/5 on insureye.com, 1.9/5 on consumeraffairs, 2/5 on Yelp. They are not a good company to deal with. They're fine if you never need any actual insurance help and just want a low price though.

Last edited by AC; 07-19-2019 at 05:01 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #39
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Haven’t searched around lately but I’m still with TD Meloche and their customer service is outstanding. When we moved to a bigger house they somehow decreased our insurance. I just recently had to switch over to a new car and it was painless, 1 ring and I was speaking with a rep.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #40
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Haven’t searched around lately but I’m still with TD Meloche and their customer service is outstanding. When we moved to a bigger house they somehow decreased our insurance. I just recently had to switch over to a new car and it was painless, 1 ring and I was speaking with a rep.
Yeah, they get a bad rap sometimes, but when I finally had to make a claim, a couple years ago, they were easy to reach, easy to deal with, and I had my money right away. In the end, that's more important to me than the monthly payment.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote