Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #41
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
ROFL yes.

Monahan is a borderline liability out there with his painful lack of speed where as Iginla at that same age was a solid 2 way player. I think people forget because his defensive game rapidly tapered off in his own end towards the end of his career.
I see you never actually watched Flames hockey with Iggy in his prime.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #42
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like this comparison is disrespectful if you look beyond the levels of hockeydb. Iginla was never the second best player on his line, let alone by a significant margin. And then offense aside, Iginla was a more complete hockey player. Was an intimidating presence and a much better defensive player than Monahan.
What’s disrespectful is you, towards Monahan. As evidenced by your ridiculous assertion that Iginla was somehow the better defensive player. If you’ve watched both closely it’s obvious that is not the case.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #43
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
ROFL yes.

Monahan is a borderline liability out there with his painful lack of speed where as Iginla at that same age was a solid 2 way player. I think people forget because his defensive game rapidly tapered off in his own end towards the end of his career.
Do you even watch hockey bro? Cause the words you say make us have to question that idea.

Monahan doesn’t have a painful lack of speed. And Iginla was never a solid 2 way player.

Your words and reality do not match.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #44
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with Locke, I don't think that anyone believes that Monahan is an overall better player than Iginla was at the same age. It is very interesting to note all the stats about him and what he has accomplished already in his career. I think he is underrated. He is far from a defensive liability out there either, that is laughable. He plays against the top defenders and other #1 centers on a nightly basis. He isn't perfect.

I only own two jerseys and there is a reason his name is on one of them, I believe he brings a lot to this team and what they need next to Johnny Hockey. I don't think he is will be someone who will ever be flashy on the ice, he just plays hard, simple hockey and he is good at it. Let's keep it that way. As long as he stays healthy, he is on track for a marvelous season. I think Lindy helps Monahan be a bit more free and worry less about the defensive side of things. Love the line combinations so far.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I agree with Locke, I don't think that anyone believes that Monahan is an overall better player than Iginla was at the same age. It is very interesting to note all the stats about him and what he has accomplished already in his career. I think he is underrated. He is far from a defensive liability out there either, that is laughable. He plays against the top defenders and other #1 centers on a nightly basis. He isn't perfect.

I only own two jerseys and there is a reason his name is on one of them, I believe he brings a lot to this team and what they need next to Johnny Hockey. I don't think he is will be someone who will ever be flashy on the ice, he just plays hard, simple hockey and he is good at it. Let's keep it that way. As long as he stays healthy, he is on track for a marvelous season. I think Lindy helps Monahan be a bit more free and worry less about the defensive side of things. Love the line combinations so far.
Lindholm really fits well there.

His presence makes it harder for oppositions to cheat on Monahan and Johnny plus he provides some freedom as he can take draws as well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #46
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Iginla would have had better numbers if he played with an amazing playmaker like Gaudreau. Oh wait. He did in Marc Savard until we dumped him for sack of garbage by our idiot GM.

Iggy would have had multiple 60 goal seasons if Savvy stayed a Flame.

Side note, and maybe at one point a thread has been made.

Flames have really made a lot of boneheaded moves and squandered a lot of talent, I wonder if other teams are similar.

Historically you have the terrible Gilmour trade, the very debatable Hull trade (justified by the cup) and Savard.

Those were bad trades, and then you have guys whose potential was not valued properly and were pretty much discarded - St. Louis, and more recently guys like Stralman and Byron.

I guess the Sharks underestimated their third goalie at one point.

Anyhow, it’s a shame that Iggy and Gaudreau didn’t overlap, and Iggy’s departure was sort of necessary for the culture adjustment and the emergence of Johnny and Mony.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Flames have really made a lot of boneheaded moves and squandered a lot of talent, I wonder if other teams are similar.

Historically you have the terrible Gilmour trade, the very debatable Hull trade (justified by the cup) and Savard.

Those were bad trades, and then you have guys whose potential was not valued properly and were pretty much discarded - St. Louis, and more recently guys like Stralman and Byron.

Anyhow, it’s a shame that Iggy and Gaudreau didn’t overlap, and Iggy’s departure was sort of necessary for the culture adjustment and the emergence of Johnny and Mony.
It was also just a bad fit at the time. He was at the tail-end of his career and wanted to win a Cup while we were in the process of just kicking off a rebuild, the team and the player were just at opposite ends of the competitive spectrum.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #48
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone know if Elias Petterson's parents have seen Monahan play?
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #49
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I own only 2 Flames jerseys with names on them. One is Iginla, the other is Monahan. Draw what conclusions you will from that.

I wonder, how many goal did Iginla score in the season he was suffering from 4 simultaneous injuries requiring surgery, including his shooting wrist? I scoff at people saying that Iginla was tougher than Monahan. More aggressive? Sure. Tougher? I seriously doubt that at this point.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #50
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Monahan scoring 40 but I dunno about 50.

Usually 50 goal scorers are guys like Iginla, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk who can fire a wrist shot harder than most slap shots.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #51
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Don't forget about trading away Dion for a bag of pucks. At that point in his career, Phaneuf was worth more than that measly return.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #52
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Usually 50 goal scorers are guys like Iginla, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk who can fire a wrist shot harder than most slap shots.
I’d say the difference between Monahan and the 3 players you mention is that they tee up one timers more than wrist shot goals. Maybe not Iginla as much, but Ovi and Kovalchuk for sure.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 AM   #53
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’d say the difference between Monahan and the 3 players you mention is that they tee up one timers more than wrist shot goals. Maybe not Iginla as much, but Ovi and Kovalchuk for sure.

I wouldn't count him out for 50 goals, that line has loads of talent! He just quietly goes about this business doing what nobody expected.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #54
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I wouldn't count him out for 50 goals, that line has loads of talent! He just quietly goes about this business doing what nobody expected.
Just to clarify, I am 100% not in the “counting Monahan out” of anything camp.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #55
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

Considering no one has hit 50 last 2 seasons, and average of last 5 winners is 49, this is probably reasonable, though I expect Matthews to score 50 this year.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so rare to see goal scoring centermen these days. Obviously the elitle C's put up good goal scoring numbers. But goal scoring truly is Monahan's bread and butter. IMO that's part of what makes Monahan so special. It's almost always the opposite where the C is the setup man and the wingers the scorers. I can't help but think that it throws the opposition off sometimes, as they expect it to be the traditional C to W setup, when instead it's the opposite.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
...if Monahan ever scores 40+ it will be on Gaudreau's coattails...
Good god. Stop it.

I am getting tired of seeing this and responding to it in perpetuity. Monahan is on his own an excellent hockey player. He is a goal scoring machine with and without Gaudreu on his wing—we have all seen this in the few times it has happened. But perhaps more to the point, the discussion about Gaudreau's dependency on Monahan is something that does not occur often enough: Last year when Monahan was shut down Gaudreau's production fell off a cliff. It literally plummeted.

The point is not that one player is miles better than the other. The point is that both Monahan and Gaudreau are great players—both in their own right. Both are fortunate to have one another, because of how much they both help each other.

In short, if Monahan does score 40 goals it will be because he is one of the best goal scorers in the entire NHL. Full stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #58
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

That said, if Monahan ever scores 40+ it will be on Gaudreau's coattails. Iginla often did what he did in spite of his linemates, not because of them.
And so...who cares?? Why is this always brought up as if it's a negative point? 2 players enjoy chemistry together and feed off each other. Yet somehow it's viewed as a negative because they use one another to benefit the team.

So Monahan benefits from Gaudreau. So what? Chemistry is the #1 most important factor in a teams success. Yet somehow it's viewed as a bad thing
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #59
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping that Monahan has another gear. So far in this young season it definitely appears like he does have another gear. If Monahan puts up a 40 goal, 70+ point season he is well on his way to being a top 10 center in the league. He already has led the Flames in goals 3 times in 5 seasons, and I suspect he puts a stranglehold on that status this year for the Flames. There really is nobody on this roster who compares with him for pure goal scoring ability.

Interesting Iginla facts. He never led the Flames in goals until his 5th season and he never led the Flames in points until his 5th season.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I am hoping that Monahan has another gear. So far in this young season it definitely appears like he does have another gear. If Monahan puts up a 40 goal, 70+ point season he is well on his way to being a top 10 center in the league...
Monahan's production last year in an injury plagued and abbreviated season pro-rates to 71 pts. He is pretty much already there. I don't think he is presently a top-ten centre in the NHL, but he is certainly within that conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote