Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #721
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s really too bad Lucic’s contract is 9 years longer than Neal’s

Edit: crap, top of a page.... I’m joking. They have equal term remaining.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #722
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #723
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
On the upside, the Flames free up a bit of cap space with the deal and won't go out and drop $2 mil x 3 years on a guy like Maroon now so its like they save even more cap space!

midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #724
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Uh, 0.4 percent cap hit? You mean 6 per cent? Or what do you mean?

And if Neal averages 35 points on the second line, sure it's not that bad. But that's a big if given his play last year. He sucked. If he played last year, outside of playing with McDavid, he isn't breaking 25 points...
I mean the extra 350,000 a year they are paying compared to keeping Lucic is equal to 0.4 percent of the cap. I am assuming Lucic will be awful so in that scenario a 35 point Neal at 6.35 is probably better than whatever Lucic brings to a team.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #725
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Look on the bright side! At least we didn’t sign James Neal this summer! That dude was born an Oiler.
If he doesn't pull off a miraculous turnaround, he'll fit in there perfectly.

I saw maybe two good defensive plays from him all season.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #726
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

A run-of-the-mill Joe Palooka would've cost league minimum.

Lucic's a pretty expensive face-puncher.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #727
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I like your glass half full take on this. It makes me feel kind of better. I wouldn't have minded this if JP was coming back. Not seeing the value in 1 for 1 though. I Hope Lucic is working hard this offseason on getting his legs back.
JP? As in Jesse Puljujärvi? Why don't we get them to throw in McDavid why they at it too? Like seriously why would the Oilers throw in a 20/21 year old 4th overall pick from just 3 years ago?
Old 07-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #728
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh gotcha. I just disagree though with the idea that Neal will bounce back at all. He was terrible. At this point it's nearing healthy scratch for healthy scratch, given their recent play, so any additional cap-hit is a loss.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #729
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
JP? As in Jesse Puljujärvi? Why don't we get them to throw in McDavid why they at it too? Like seriously why would the Oilers throw in a 20/21 year old 4th overall pick from just 3 years ago?
Because he has been terrible and announced he never wants to play there again? Probably too much of a throw in, but he will likely get dealt.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #730
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess the bright side is we don't need to worry about the caveman hunting down our skilled players next year and that goofball Kassian should lose his courage.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #731
CN10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I don't get what Calgary's reasoning is on this, unless they think Lucic has some sort of Dubnyk/Schultz resurgence in him once away from that no good organization. Even if Lucic gets back to his power forward ways of old (unlikely given the Flames are a rush based team and he can't skate well anymore) he's still a $5.4M third line LW as he's worse than Tkachuk and Gaudreau even when he was in his prime.

I thought Neal had a decent chance of bouncing back playing as the #2RW with Tkachuk and Backlund on a line that generates offensive off the cycle. He needed players who can carry/hold and distribute the puck to him in shooting positions. It was obvious Jankowski and Bennett were not those players, so it was a square peg round hole situation all of last year for him. I thought the organization would give him another opportunity this year but obviously the relationship must have been broken to the point where that shot wasn't going to happen.

The advanced stats posted earlier give some hope that perhaps crappy Neal was actually a bit worse than crappy Lucic, coupled with evidently saving a bit of money and perhaps getting a pick out of the swap, maybe this palatable. That is obviously contingent on not having to protect Lucic during the expansion draft which we should no soon enough (if the Flames agreed to keep the NMC or voided it). Perhaps having him on the team makes the rest of the guys play a bit bigger so you get some value out his presence that isn't recorded on the stat sheet (as Gaudreau mentioned that Big Ern helped them to do). He at least hits so if both him and Neal will be playing down the lineup on a boat anchor of a contract I suppose an enforcer is a better fit than a sniper that can't get a good shot off because he's behind the play.

Here's hoping that Lucic is the one to bounce back to near 20G & 40P like his days of old and not Neal, but the odds indicate that it's Neal who's primed for the bounce back. He'll either be with McDavid or RNH (both of whom are way better puck distributors than Jankowski) plus see a ton of power play time given the Oilers lack of good NHL forwards. Lucic will likely slot in on the third or fourth line and be counted on to lay the body and work to get the puck to his more talented (than he had on the Oilers) line mates. He might see PP2 time as the net front guy but I think a good season for him would be 15G and 30P only.

I have a feeling the deal blows up in Tre's face and we've just improved our rival, but I would love to be wrong. Hopefully the conditional pick is real and a good one and the owners use the cash savings between the rest of Neal and Lucic's contract term to improve the pro scouting to the point where we can avoid some of these bad fit UFA contracts that we have seen recently.
CN10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CN10 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #732
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
People on other sites saying Friedman commented that there's no pick involved? Anyone else hear that? Must have been on the radio or tv or something, nothing on twitter. Didn't see it myself just passing on the rumour
It was Friedman that actually said there would be a conditional pick in the first place.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #733
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Well I guess the bright side is we don't need to worry about the caveman hunting down our skilled players next year and that goofball Kassian should lose his courage.
It's not like that was actually happening anyway. When Johnny gets slashed we are simply going to see Lucic take instigating penalties probably doubling down on bad situations.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #734
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not necessarily stoked on Lucic but so happy to be rid of Neal. Not only was he useless on the ice but he sure seemed cancerous with his complaining and general crappy attitude. There’s a reason he’s on his 6th team in 9 seasons. Can’t wait to see what his ego and abrasive attitude do to that fragile Oilers locker room.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #735
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
The only way this isn't completely idiotic is if the oilers are eating $3M-$4M of his AAV.

He's a fine player at about $2M a year. If not, this is by far one of the dumbest moves I can see being made a flames GM in the last couple of decades.
You realize Neal who is also negative value is going the other way right
Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #736
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Oh gotcha. I just disagree though with the idea that Neal will bounce back at all. He was terrible. At this point it's nearing healthy scratch for healthy scratch, given their recent play, so any additional cap-hit is a loss.
A world where Neal remains a 25 point a year guy over 82 games and Lucic is a 20 point guy the Flames win the deal because of Lucic’s intangibles. 20 points seems like more of a ceiling for Lucic to me, whereas 25 points seems like more of a floor for Neal. Hopefully Neal continues his play from last season.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #737
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
If Neal was a free agent this year he would be able to sign a modest deal in a number of teams.

If Lucic was a free. Agent this year he’d be playing for rubbles in the Motherland.
This is true.

Neal is looking for a 2nd chance this season after one bad season.

Lucic is looking for a 3rd chance to redeem himself. Most do not receive that (or deserve it).

Even when Lucic was tearing it up in Boston, he was the type of player that you knew would fall off earlier than most. It surprised no one that he hit 30 and collapsed.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #738
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well if I have to find a positive, Lucic has the same kind of hunchback appearance to former Flame John Tonelli. I liked him at the time, so I am going to delude myself into thinking we got a new version of John Tonelli.

greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #739
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Spoiler!

Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #740
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN10 View Post
Spoiler!
Hmm. Those are some interesting points. I mean, I didn’t read any of them because wall of text, but still.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: