Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
To be fair this team did look and play slow in the playoff series against The Avs.
So does every other team. The Avs are the fastest team in the NHL
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Flames fans will try all summer to put lipstick on this pig but I side with everyone outside of Calgary laughing at the Flames. Dark day today.
Boooooooo. Boring.

I got my collection of lipstick prepped and ready. Thinking this as great, as dumb as it might be, is way more fun.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #23
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames fans will try all summer to put lipstick on this pig but I side with everyone outside of Calgary laughing at the Flames. Dark day today.
I can get the trade if you isolate the on ice stuff - which is all this post is meant to do.

What makes this trade horrible is the cap / buy out implcations. Flames should have never let their provincial rivals off the hook by giving them a contract that you can buy out instead of Lucics buyout proof contract. And they let them off the hook by getting them out from the NMC in the expansion draft.

That is what makes the trade horrible.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #24
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Neal will outscore Lucic next year
and the year after
and the year after that
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #25
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pet theory that Neal's little injury last season was more serious then what was let on.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
and the year after
and the year after that
Yeah probably, but since we'll likely be comparing a 15 point season to a 12 point season, I'm not too worried about this deal from a production standpoint
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually wonder if he could be a 30 point guy with Ryan and Mangiapane.

They're miles better than the players he had around him down the Edmonton depth chart.

Having 5x more hits than Neal is encouraging, since the Flames were one of the least hitting teams in the league. If youre "dead weight" can at least help you in one category you've been deficient in, it adds something. Which is better than the nothing that Neal has added in his tenure here.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and the year after
and the year after that
That's a given if you look at how Chaisson had a career season last year and Neal is now primed to assume his spot. It's not inconceivable Neal gets in the 25-30 goal range next season. Even if from the Flames point of view Neal for Lucic is a wash there's little doubt they helped the Oilers get better with this trade and that sucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #29
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a given if you look at how Chaisson had a career season last year and Neal is now primed to assume his spot. It's not inconceivable Neal gets in the 25-30 goal range next season. Even if from the Flames point of view Neal for Lucic is a wash there's little doubt they helped the Oilers get better with this trade and that sucks.
I think that's it. The result for the Flames is that they will be more or less the same. The result for the Oilers is that they got better.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #30
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Neal is a first line player on the Oilers, to where they keep him there long enough to deflect 25 McDavid shots off his rear end, they're in big ####ing trouble.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #31
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If Neal is a first line player on the Oilers, to where they keep him there long enough to deflect 25 McDavid shots off his rear end, they're in big ####ing trouble.
There is a distinction between saying the Oilers got better and the Oilers are good now. Their team is still a trash heap, the heap just got a little lighter that's all.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, not sure I understand people pencilling Neal in on the top line when that's what we signed him for and he couldn't even keep up with Monahan and Johnny.

He's now going to magically stick on the top line for the Oil and pot 25 while keeping up with McDavid? Gonna have to see that one to believe it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #33
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Neal on the Oiler’s top line would be awesome as a Flames fan. He is good at nothing anymore and the more ice time they give him the worse the club will be.

Can Lucic play a 4th line role? We will see. Neal can’t though so this trade may come down to choosing a 5.4 mil fourth liner or a 5.75 mil healthy scratch
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #34
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and the year after
and the year after that
I think it's rather unlikely that either of these players will be in the NHL in two years
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, not sure I understand people pencilling Neal in on the top line when that's what we signed him for and he couldn't even keep up with Monahan and Johnny.

He's now going to magically stick on the top line for the Oil and pot 25 while keeping up with McDavid? Gonna have to see that one to believe it.
I just think Neal and Peters weren't a good fit. Peters didn't like him. One thing about Tippett is that he's a player's coach so I feel Neal is going to a better situation in Edmonton.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #36
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I just think Neal and Peters weren't a good fit. Peters didn't like him. One thing about Tippett is that he's a player's coach so I feel Neal is going to a better situation in Edmonton.
I feel like it’s hard for Peters to like a player who goes an entire season without doing anything good

I doubt Tippett is that different
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I feel like it’s hard for Peters to like a player who goes an entire season without doing anything good

I doubt Tippett is that different
Not sure if something materialized in training camp but indications were pretty early that Peters may not be a fan. When a coach doesn't like a player it rarely ever works out regardless of play. I get the feeling even if Neal had a 20 goal season last year the Flames would have been shopping him as to me this trade shows that Peters and Neal wasn't going to work and in Treliving's mind this trade is better than letting that fester. Maybe he's right but it just sucks that he helped the Oilers out.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #38
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

One thing I like about this trade is it gives the Flames options they just didn't have in the playoffs last year, like parking the big guy in front of the net on the PP so Johnny can bounce things in off him, or sending a Lucic-Bennett-Tkachuk line out to stir things up or send a message when things go a bit loopy.

There's nothing Neal brought that Czarnik or other players already in the system couldn't replace.

I also don't understand why anyone expects Neal to have a better bounce back year than Lucic. Neal will have the benefit of his longest summer break in ages, but Lucic will feel like he's got a whole new lease on life escaping Edmonton.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #39
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I can get the trade if you isolate the on ice stuff - which is all this post is meant to do.

What makes this trade horrible is the cap / buy out implcations. Flames should have never let their provincial rivals off the hook by giving them a contract that you can buy out instead of Lucics buyout proof contract. And they let them off the hook by getting them out from the NMC in the expansion draft.

That is what makes the trade horrible.
It's ok, I'm sure Holland will sign another horrible contract if/when they buy out Neal
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #40
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

We sign Talbot and Smith signs there.

Now Neal is dealt for Lucic...

Legitimate question: why is Tre chasing reclamation projects from Edmonton?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk