Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #401
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

care to expand on what you believe minor hockey/hockey Canada could be doing better?

my comment would be that years ago my son's team would have two practices or so per season at winsport. these practices were run by hockey Canada guys. they would have some drills and stuff, but they did not provide any direct goaltending instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
All in all I am not impressed with minor hockey. It’s certainly not about the kids development. Come to think when you look at the NHL draft and our junior hockey results Canada is failing all the way to the top in developing hockey players.

Little things become big things, and I think we will go the way of England in soccer.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #402
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How did evals go for everyone?

My sons went great. He worked hard and exceeded expectations as a first year Atom. Now just waiting to hear what team he ends up on.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #403
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything started out great for my son in quad hockey, but some “outside stuff” conspired against him and he will finish his minor hockey career in community.

Was a bitter pill for him as for the last 4 years he has been training, working out etc and to be derailed by “stuff” was a huge disappointment for him.

He is slowly repivoting his life and figuring out what to do with his time.

He had hoped one day to find his way into the KIJHL and then maybe the AJ but those guys seem to rely on the quad teams in the city helping them select players and you are pretty much hooped if you are not at least in AA.

I have nothing but mad respect for those guys that stick it out and go a bunch of places and then wind up making a few dollars playing
Old 09-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #404
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Everything started out great for my son in quad hockey, but some “outside stuff” conspired against him and he will finish his minor hockey career in community.

Was a bitter pill for him as for the last 4 years he has been training, working out etc and to be derailed by “stuff” was a huge disappointment for him.

He is slowly repivoting his life and figuring out what to do with his time.

He had hoped one day to find his way into the KIJHL and then maybe the AJ but those guys seem to rely on the quad teams in the city helping them select players and you are pretty much hooped if you are not at least in AA.

I have nothing but mad respect for those guys that stick it out and go a bunch of places and then wind up making a few dollars playing
It’s a tough thing for a dad to watch for sure - been there (minor Midget AAA to Community Midget 2!). But I can tell you there still will be opportunity if you look for it. But also might be time to play for the enjoyment of it and finish it out having fun- which doesn’t have to mean less competitive than he is used to either.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #405
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I agree there are opportunities, he has to decide if he wants to put himself out there again as he went to a couple of camps this spring and the message was tiring - get bigger, stronger faster and make midget aaa.

Well it is not easy to make midget aaa because if you are not on the associations radar by 14, you likely won’t ever be and he is tired of seeing the politics and the fact coaches are rarely honest and give you a vague reason why they did not pick you.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #406
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post

My sons went great. He worked hard and exceeded expectations as a first year Atom. Now just waiting to hear what team he ends up on.
Evaluations are always a stressful time. My kid worked hard and made PeeWee 2. His coach sounds awesome and we know a few families so that is always good.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #407
Knut

Exp:

We changed from Glenlake to the Knights for this season. My Second year Novice kid has had a really good evaluation and we are very proud of him. It is hard for him as he doesn’t know anyone at the icetimes.

Judging by the competition in Tier 1 and Tier 2 Novice The Knights should be very competitive this coming year vs the teams that Midnapore/Bonavista could offer before.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #408
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
We changed from Glenlake to the Knights for this season. My Second year Novice kid has had a really good evaluation and we are very proud of him. It is hard for him as he doesn’t know anyone at the icetimes.

Judging by the competition in Tier 1 and Tier 2 Novice The Knights should be very competitive this coming year vs the teams that Midnapore/Bonavista could offer before.
Has all of Novice gone to 1/2 games this year?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #409
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My kid is first year Bantam, they've just started. First full-hit ice time is this Sunday. I'm more nervous than the kid is.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:27 PM   #410
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My kid is first year Bantam, they've just started. First full-hit ice time is this Sunday. I'm more nervous than the kid is.
How is he feeling about it? For myself I didn't find the transition to hitting to be too bad.

Good luck with the nerves!

Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #411
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My boy as well.

I put him in a hitting camp over the summer and he is relying on his 5'9" 130 frame to make an impact.

good luck to your animal

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #412
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son has his last evaluation skate for his first year of PeeWee tomorrow morning. He absolutely loves everything about hockey but is not a high level player. Looks as though he will shake out around Div 4 with a bunch of his friends, which is great. I'm just excited for it to be over!

The new evaluation process the Knights rolled out is really great. It seemed to be a mess before but now the level of organization and the thought put into the process is really starting to show. I've been really impressed.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #413
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
While I agree there are opportunities, he has to decide if he wants to put himself out there again as he went to a couple of camps this spring and the message was tiring - get bigger, stronger faster and make midget aaa.

Well it is not easy to make midget aaa because if you are not on the associations radar by 14, you likely won’t ever be and he is tired of seeing the politics and the fact coaches are rarely honest and give you a vague reason why they did not pick you.
That's tough. Hopefully he can put it behind him, have a good season, and use it as motivation to get to the next levels (if he decides that is what he wants to do).

Old 09-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #414
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is he feeling about it? For myself I didn't find the transition to hitting to be too bad.

Good luck with the nerves!
I'll get over it. He's fine with it, never minded a little contact in the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My boy as well.

I put him in a hitting camp over the summer and he is relying on his 5'9" 130 frame to make an impact.

good luck to your animal
Mine's a decent height for 13, he's about 5'7", but a slight 115. But he;s a pretty solid kid. Always carried like he was made of brick. I think he'll be ok.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #415
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to hear that Northendzone. Was your son trying for Major Midget AAA or Minor? The way the numbers work (given how many teams at each level there are and the ages of the players) there are a significant number of kids who play Minor Midget AAA that will not make AA and drop back into community. Look at the roster of most community Midget 1 teams and they are loaded with kids who previously played Minor Midget AAA. As a matter of fact if you did not play Elite level and say (for example) you made Midget 2 in your first year it is pretty tough to move up to Midget 1 for this reason.

Anyway, my 'evals' went well. My daughter is finished minor hockey. Much like me, her tryouts consisted of cutting a cheque to her beer league team and she's on the roster.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #416
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

Anyway, my 'evals' went well. My daughter is finished minor hockey. Much like me, her tryouts consisted of cutting a cheque to her beer league team and she's on the roster.
YES, ####ING YES!!!!

This is awesome. This is all I hope for my daughter, that she continue to play for life.

Congrats on successfully graduating a beer leaguer.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #417
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
My son has his last evaluation skate for his first year of PeeWee tomorrow morning. He absolutely loves everything about hockey but is not a high level player. Looks as though he will shake out around Div 4 with a bunch of his friends, which is great. I'm just excited for it to be over!

The new evaluation process the Knights rolled out is really great. It seemed to be a mess before but now the level of organization and the thought put into the process is really starting to show. I've been really impressed.
How do they do the evaluations. Just curious more than anything else.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #418
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
How do they do the evaluations. Just curious more than anything else.
https://knightshc.ca/wp-content/uplo...val_manual.pdf

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #419
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Has all of Novice gone to 1/2 games this year?
Yes it has.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #420
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Junior B (in the city) this year, so will be a different feel for sure, most of his '01 buddies are off for JrB in BC or a small number scattered across JrA but decision instead to go to university and pursue a new chapter. more or less a set schedule for the first time in forever, games on Fridays and Sundays, one practice a week. I just hope he makes it through with all of his teeth now that they are straight and paid for!

Still a long way from our days of Atom 9, or 80 pounds at bantam tryouts etc. hang in there everyone
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post: