Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1221
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
LOL.

I'm out. And Apple Music was so good too, which is a shame. Maybe there is some Android app that will allow the use of it, but enough is enough.

I will replace my 6 for the 3rd time under warranty for a bad screen, and hope I can milk a couple years out of it. I'll buy the OEM battery extension case as well. But that will be my last Apple hardware purchase.

It's getting to the point now where it's like someone is daring them to see how far they can screw their customers, and still get money.
Isn't Apple music on Android?

Haven't tried it but plethora of other streaming services as well. I'm balancing two free previews of Spotify and Google Play music at the moment.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #1222
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
People complaining about the lack of 3.5mm jack are entering "Get off my lawn" territory.

Why are people so attached to a technology that is 40 years old?
40? Probably over 100 years.

I just don't understand how this will be an issue - frankly, even using the Lightning port for headphones is probably going the way of the dodo.

For the Airbuds, I think I'd like them better if the two were tethered together. If one falls out of your ear, it's still hanging by the other one. Really though, for myself, wired heaphones (especially earbuds) are just fine.

Either way, I expect plenty of options available very quickly for wired (lightning) and wireless options. I doubt the "7s" even includes an adaptor in the box, and I bet it's barely mentioned by anyone.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #1223
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use bluetooth almost exclusively. I assume the phone can be thinner now (or at least more #### jammed in it).
Old 09-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #1224
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest problem with Bluetooth is just the sound quality. Can a Bluetooth only device compare at all to an audio jack?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #1225
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The 3.5mm jack was the only thing left on the iPhone that Apple hadn't made proprietary yet.

You can bet when wireless charging comes, it'll be Apples own iWireless charger and compatible with nothing else. It's Apple's world or no world at all.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #1226
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
My biggest problem with Bluetooth is just the sound quality. Can a Bluetooth only device compare at all to an audio jack?
I find the quality to be exactly the same as corded to be honest. It's coming out of an iphone so it can only be so good. I'm sure coming out of a HI-FI system at your house it would sound like garbage by comparison.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #1227
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Stereo mini ports aren't exactly known for their good sound quality either. The wires and connectors are simply too skinny - Prone to distortion and interference. It shouldn't be hard for Bluetooth to surpass that. The longer one can keep the signal digital the better.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #1228
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Original Bluetooth is garbage. There is a newer proprietary encoding called APK that is similar to CD quality. I'm sure Apple has their own proprietary version. Chances are what you have and use is the 4.0 spec, and no, it's not nearly as good as a wired connection.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #1229
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Isn't Apple music on Android?

Haven't tried it but plethora of other streaming services as well. I'm balancing two free previews of Spotify and Google Play music at the moment.
I honestly don't know. I've been buried in the Apple ecosystem for a decade now.

But I'll certainly be looking into it. I have yet to not find a song I want to hear yet, and I do love the interface. I also like you can download and listen offline. It's just like using your iPod. For $10 it's a steal. But it's one of the last redeeming things left Apple has in my eyes. I'm sure they'll screw this up too. Like make way you listen to music proprietary. Instead of using your ears, you'll use your nostrils, and instead of sound, it will actually be scented walrus farts. Because Apple said it's better that way, and therefore it is.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #1230
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I'm still upset Apple got rid of the floppy drive in '97. Doomed.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #1231
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find the quality to be exactly the same as corded to be honest. It's coming out of an iphone so it can only be so good. I'm sure coming out of a HI-FI system at your house it would sound like garbage by comparison.
Well yeah, I typically plug my iPod into my car stereo or at home, and the difference from Bluetooth is very noticeable.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #1232
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Original Bluetooth is garbage. There is a newer proprietary encoding called APK that is similar to CD quality. I'm sure Apple has their own proprietary version. Chances are what you have and use is the 4.0 spec, and no, it's not nearly as good as a wired connection.
I'm wondering whether the "W1 Wireless Chip" mentioned in today's keynote was exactly that.

They didn't really say what that was - but I'm wondering wether it's like Bluetooth, but is intended only to transmit audio.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #1233
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Likewise for the serial port, DVD drive, etc.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #1234
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Noted. But like a lot of other users, I have a few sets of really, really good headphones that won't be compatible with this phone without an adapter. And I don't want to use another adapter.

I also regularily plug my phone into my work computer to listen to music at work, but charge it at the same time. It's a work computer which I cannot use iCloud/iTunes on, and doesn't have BT speakers. So I cannot charge and listen at the same time. So I just plug in a male/male 3.5 mm jack + the lightning cable.

This was a huge miss on Apples part, and a lot of the iPhone users that work here are in the same boat on switching.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #1235
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/118...phones-reasons
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #1236
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well yeah, I typically plug my iPod into my car stereo or at home, and the difference from Bluetooth is very noticeable.
In my car (newish volvo) quality goes USB > Bluetooth > 3.5mm jack.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #1237
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So two things:

I feel like my iPhone 6 with the 3.5mm jack just went up in value.
I'm going to design an iPhone case which brings back a 3.5mm jack and be rich.

Edit: iPhone aux battery case with a bluetooth connected 3.5mm earphone jack that can be charged wirelessly.

Last edited by woob; 09-07-2016 at 03:53 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #1238
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
In my car (newish volvo) quality goes USB > Bluetooth > 3.5mm jack.
Same with my Ford Focus, I'd say. Small gap between USB and Bluetooth - larger gap between Bluetooth and 3.5mm audio cable.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #1239
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

On the other hand, what about the laser disc, the memory stick, and thin client computing? Or the Metro touch interface in Windows 8 that had the whole OS designed around it? WHAT ABOUT NEW COKE?!?!?

Not every "advance" works out.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #1240
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

What a joke.

Never owned an iPhone, never will. Apple's days are numbered if they keep this idiocy up.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote