Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #241
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Hah, this is the most anti-nenshi partisan ####ing nonsense I've ever read in my life.
I am very anti-Nenshi.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #242
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chu is just a tweeb, in or out of chambers.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #243
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't vote him in, but I sure am going to enjoy voting him out! (ward boundary changes)
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #244
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You guys have to listen to his call-in on 770 this morning . . . He gets called on his BS.

http://www.newstalk770.com/kingkade-and-breakenridge/

Just listen to his clip on the Kingkade and Breakenridge show this morning, you can play the audio clip from the media player.

How anyone can think this guy is good for council is beyond me.
This is beyond insane that this guy is speaking for an entire ward in council.

Really really looking forward to voting against him.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:10 AM   #245
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. I said it before. Instead of wasting time and our money arguing about what is going in everybody else's Ward, I just want him to get some good stuff for Ward 4. Get some more bike lanes and paths up here, instead of fruitlessly arguing against it for everyone else.

I really don't know what he expects his legacy to be as a city councilor: negative guy who didn't get anything done?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 AM   #246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You think Chu is going to get us a bike lane and nice pathways? Have you been paying attention? His goal isn't to get stuff done. It's to stop stuff from getting done. So far his greatest legacy is blocking the bike lanes through China Town.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #247
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah. I said it before. Instead of wasting time and our money arguing about what is going in everybody else's Ward, I just want him to get some good stuff for Ward 4. Get some more bike lanes and paths up here, instead of fruitlessly arguing against it for everyone else.
Don't forget the sweet skate park that he blocked for Ward 4:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...sociation.html

My favorite part is this: "He (Chu) continued to suggest the city move the project to a chunk of land beside the Dalhousie LRT station."

Yes Sean, make it Dalhousie's problem.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #248
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You think Chu is going to get us a bike lane and nice pathways? Have you been paying attention? His goal isn't to get stuff done. It's to stop stuff from getting done. So far his greatest legacy is blocking the bike lanes through China Town.

I don't anticipate him doing anything. Just wish he would think more about getting things done for the people in his ward, rather than spending his energy trying to kibosh everything, which he is inevitably unsuccessful at.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #249
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Don't forget the sweet skate park that he blocked for Ward 4:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...sociation.html

My favorite part is this: "He (Chu) continued to suggest the city move the project to a chunk of land beside the Dalhousie LRT station."

Yes Sean, make it Dalhousie's problem.
That was the biggest example of Nimbyism I've seen. Skate parks are great for communites. The one at Westside Rec Centre is by a high end community, and they don't have any of the problems people were worried about.

Chu was also one of two who voted against the bylaw change to allow skateboard ramps because of noise concerns, despite proof they're no louder than street hockey or trampolines, and overwhelming public support. I wish I lived in his ward so I could vote him out.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #250
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I really don't know what he expects his legacy to be as a city councilor: negative guy who didn't get anything done?

Someone has to take on the Dr. No mantle now that McIver has moved up the food chain. Given how many photo ops Chu takes at PC events, I think his long term plan is to springboard to the next level as well.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #251
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Someone has to take on the Dr. No mantle now that McIver has moved up the food chain.
Actually, no, council does not need to fill a quota on idiots.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #252
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a transgression against his usual transgressiony self, so it qualifies. I actually find myself agreeing with him for the first time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-sac-1.3633810

Quote:
Coun. Sean Chu says for years, the residents on a cul-de-sac in Huntington Hills have been angle parking vehicles at the end of their street.

But recently, $50 tickets were handed out to drivers for doing just that.

The parking bylaw says all vehicles must be parallel parked, but Chu questions why tickets were issued.

"It doesn't make sense," Chu said.

"You just don't have enough space, green space in between houses with driveways to park vehicles parallel to the sidewalk."
Old 06-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #253
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
It's a transgression against his usual transgressiony self, so it qualifies. I actually find myself agreeing with him for the first time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-sac-1.3633810
Why else are streets designed the way they are other than to allow angle parking? The complaints don't even make sense, why would anyone complain about parking that gets more cars parked, and doesn't interfere with the flow of the street?

In front of my house, you could double angle park and still allow traffic to easily pass.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #254
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Sean Chu 'not campaigning' by door-knocking in another councillor's ward

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ning-1.3663148

Quote:
With new ward boundaries coming for next year's municipal election, one Calgary councillor is being criticized for door-knocking in another councillor's ward.

Sean Chu says he's just meeting people in communities which will be added to his ward. But not everyone agrees.

Alix Williams, who lives in Brentwood, had a visit from a city councillor last week.

Not her city councillor, Druh Farrell, but Chu from Ward 4 and he left his City of Calgary business card.

Alix Williams holding Sean Chu's business card

A Brentwood resident thought it was odd to have Coun. Sean Chu knocking on her door, because he is not her city councillor, yet. (Scott Dippel/CBC)

"He just told us that he was hoping to run in a year-and-a-half and if we had any questions, that we could always contact him," Williams explained.

"But we've always felt fine just contacting our own ward councillor and that's who we would contact."

Druh Farrell says Chu is confusing voters and he shouldn't be campaigning with material paid through his office budget.

"Regardless of whether your campaign pays for that or the city pays for that, we have clear guidelines on not campaigning with City of Calgary material."
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #255
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get some more bike lanes and paths up here, instead of fruitlessly arguing against it for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You think Chu is going to get us a bike lane and nice pathways? Have you been paying attention? His goal isn't to get stuff done. It's to stop stuff from getting done
Huzzah!

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/08/11...e-lane-numbers

Quote:
While downtown bike lane proponents are pumped about reaching a million riders, a city councilor still wants a brake on extending the network.
Quote:
As of Thursday, the three dedicated bicycle lanes on 8 Ave., 12 Ave. and 5 St. S.W. had carried 980,000 cycle trips since the project began in June, 2015.

That’s happened faster than its proponents had expected, said Tom Thivener, the city’s bicycle program coordinator.

“The bike numbers are higher...we’ve proven more riders are coming downtown and the satisfaction among riders is very high,” said Thivener.

That number is expected to top 1 million on Wednesday, when a ceremony will be held on the busiest section of the city centre network — 5 St. S.W., which has averaged 1,242 weekday riders over the course of a year, said Thivener.
Quote:
Still skeptical is Ward. 4 Coun. Sean Chu, who says Thivener’s claim of a 40% increase in downtown ridership is underwhelming, while the count at isolated spots like 5 St. is misleading.

“This is funneling people through one spot and how many people are actually giving up their cars? Not many,” said Chu.

“And they got lucky because of the nice weather last winter, but I’m surprised it hasn’t doubled.”

Allocating millions of dollars on more bike lanes for a limited number of riders has yet to prove its cost-efficiency, said the councilor, while he cited opposition to the dedicated lanes, particularly those that have sprung up outside downtown.

“It’s an ideology of anti-car — the supporters are living in a dream world,” said Chu.

Last edited by RedHot25; 08-12-2016 at 07:15 AM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #256
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I laughed a Chu's line about how counting on 5th pretty much isn't fair because it's funneling people through one spot. Well perhaps if you and others hadn't voted against also adding a trial lane on 1st street the funneling effect wouldn't be as pronounced (didn't they teach him about choke points in cop school?). Plus the 5th street counter is most likely not even getting the users that are coming from the north and not taking the track south of 9th avenue.

I'm sorry but this article shows that no level of increase on the tracks will be good enough for him. 40% since 2011, 28.4% up from 2015. All of that while the core is shedding jobs (perhaps showing that a lot of folks are using this track for more than just work eh?).

Quote:
“It’s an ideology of anti-car — the supporters are living in a dream world,” said Chu.
Grinds my gears. It is completely possible to own a car and also use a bike and support the bike lanes (to say nothing of being a pedestrian too and wanting good infrastructure). I'd say he's being purposefully obtuse to stir things up, but he may just really be that dumb and believe this is all a great big anti-car conspiracy.

Last edited by Bigtime; 08-12-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #257
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has *anybody* come out and supported Chu on this, or even a constituent that asked Chu to take this on? I would bet that nobody, even if they disagreed with the bike lanes would be as zealous about it as him. He just needs to let it go already and do something useful.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #258
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Grinds my gears. It is completely possible to own a car and also use a bike and support the bike lanes (to say nothing of being a pedestrian too and wanting good infrastructure). I'd say he's being purposefully obtuse to stir things up, but he may just really be that dumb and believe this is all a great big anti-car conspiracy.
It's not hard to win a seat in this province. As long as you say things like "no more spending" and "the gravy train stops here", a mutant chihuahua wearing a clown costume could get into office. And as long as you appear to be putting your foot down on anything at all, even the most petty and irrelevant initiatives, you can magnify your mole hills and there will always be a crowd who loves that sort of thing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #259
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy_flame View Post
...a mutant chihuahua wearing a clown costume could get into office. ...
ndp?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #260
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone needs to permanently remove Chu's phone from him.

Sean Chu (@seanchucalgary)
2016-09-26, 8:45 PM

After the debate, did any1 else also notice that there were 3 body guards around HC in case she falls, but Trump was surrounded by family.

https://twitter.com/seanchucalgary/s...99330184933377
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote