Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #401
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toying with the idea of turning our current deck into a 4 season sunroom. The deck is roughly 6' off the ground, so support and load are my biggest concerns. I'm guessing I would need a structural engineer to come out and assess by current structure and what would need to be added to make it safe and up to code - or is there some guideline that I could take a look at?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #402
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Tankless is great for never running out of hot water. Loved that part in our old house, when we had one.

It also takes up much less space in your furnace/utility room, if that's an issue.
But overall did you like having it? I think Peanut was saying in a thread that she has it would tell everyone not to get it. I've debated this for a few years and haven't done anything. I think that this is the year to finally do something though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #403
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But overall did you like having it? I think Peanut was saying in a thread that she has it would tell everyone not to get it. I've debated this for a few years and haven't done anything. I think that this is the year to finally do something though.
When I was quite young, my grandpa had one installed in his house. It was not common yet in North America and the performance was pretty crumby. That really coloured my view of those things, but I have to think now - 20 years later - the tech has to be in a place where they've got the kinks ironed out, right?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #404
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard in warmer areas they work well, but around here the water entering is a lot colder so takes more to heat up. To get a unit that can perform adequately you need to spend a lot. It probably comes down to how complicated your install is and how badly you want to get rid of a big tank.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #405
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spent 6-7 hours on Saturday cutting melamine piece for the cabinet boxes.

Now on to mortising, pre drilling, fastening ash front edgeing, etc. It is so nice to use good quality tools. Tables saws with a sliding table are the best.
I think it's time for another update. How are things progressing?

I'm going to be doing my kitchen next year, and I'm interested in the details. I'm hoping to do it from scratch as well. My Dad teaches shop at the school, so I have access to very nice tools.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #406
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tankless water heaters are great if you don't mind standing there for 3 mins while the shower gradually warms.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #407
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I think it's time for another update. How are things progressing?

I'm going to be doing my kitchen next year, and I'm interested in the details. I'm hoping to do it from scratch as well. My Dad teaches shop at the school, so I have access to very nice tools.
Most of the boxes and drawers are built. We are going to start building doors and drawer fronts soon.

When the boxes are are ready, we will have to demoloish the existing flooring and cabinets (I don't know yet if we will demolish all of the existing at once, or try to leave ourselves with somewhat of a working kitchen for almost all of the transition.

There will be a little bit of electrical revisions to be made (stove is in a different place).

The whole thing is coming along. Nothing really to see in terms of pictures yet.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #408
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im going to be building a deck on my new house and I'm looking for info on the best place to buy lumber and metal railing? Or even any tips on how to get the best deal possible would be great.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #409
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Im going to be building a deck on my new house and I'm looking for info on the best place to buy lumber and metal railing? Or even any tips on how to get the best deal possible would be great.
I bought all the stuff for my deck at Timbertown. Seemed much cheaper than Home Depot or the like. Might also check out Windsor Plywood.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #410
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post

Send BigTime a PM. Timbertown is the way to go!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #411
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

My kitchen build update:

The Boxes and drawers are mostly built, the drawer front slabs have been put together, and the doors have all their pieces cut.

Lots of work done, lots of work to go.

A couple of pictures from today:

We switched to doing frame and style doors, but kept the solid drawer fronts. We are definitely not trying to hide that wood grain.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #412
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

That's one of the smallest doors, so there will be a lot more panel for most of the doors.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #413
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Looks great! Keep with the updates

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #414
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there is a leak coming from the top of my walkout basement door. Just recently they (condo board) did new decks, which is above the walkout and I'm thinking they damaged something when they re-did our deck.

I have an email in to the management company and will talk to them tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how long it takes before I have to worry about mould? I don't think this was a long term leak since I've never seen any water damage before (we bought the place last May) but there is a soft piece of drywall in the top corner, about an inch or so. Could that be done by the rain today, or would that be a long term thing?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:59 PM   #415
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Started demolition this eve in my kitchen. Not full out demolition, as we are going to need a semi functional kitchen for a couple of weeks yet.

I removed the hanging upper cabinets above the peninsula, took of the moldings all around the top, removed baseboard, and removed about 65% of the floor tile. Tomorrow I'll finish removing the tile and the underlay board, and scrape the stipple off of the ceiling. Also, I'll likely widen the entrance opening into the kitchen area( only a few inches to where it meets another wall), and raise the top of the opening right up to the ceiling, instead of having it at 6'8", or whatever it is currently.

I'll have to do a bit of electrical rough in prior to flooring.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:50 AM   #416
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Workin on the backyard, it's fence time. Gonna be a crappy weekend hava
Old 06-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #417
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Started demolition this eve in my kitchen. Not full out demolition, as we are going to need a semi functional kitchen for a couple of weeks yet.

I removed the hanging upper cabinets above the peninsula, took of the moldings all around the top, removed baseboard, and removed about 65% of the floor tile. Tomorrow I'll finish removing the tile and the underlay board, and scrape the stipple off of the ceiling. Also, I'll likely widen the entrance opening into the kitchen area( only a few inches to where it meets another wall), and raise the top of the opening right up to the ceiling, instead of having it at 6'8", or whatever it is currently.

I'll have to do a bit of electrical rough in prior to flooring.
Scraping the stipple off the ceiling is not easy, and makes an incredible mess. I don't think I would do it that way again. I'd strap it and hang new drywall if it were me.
Good luck man - big job ahead, but will be welll worth it in the end.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #418
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might have some luck with a shop vac if you can somehow rig it up to suck the scrapings while you do it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #419
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keep the dust down by spraying a bit of water on the stippling. Dont soak it but a light misting works great.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #420
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Tankless water heaters are great if you don't mind standing there for 3 mins while the shower gradually warms.
That just means you have an under spec system, you need a variable intensity boiler designed both for the incoming water temp and total flow rate. Plus the boiler must be gas fired and properly maintained.

Which all of this means is more cost, which could easily mean 10 or more years before you break even on any potential energy savings.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote