Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 AM   #921
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Thought it was excruciatingly boring. I had heard really good things and I gotta say, I don’t get it. Brad Pitt’s character had some mildly entertaining parts but that was about it.

I found myself checking my watch every 15 or so minutes to see how much time was left until I could leave.

Nothing about the storyline was even remotely compelling to me.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #922
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Finally got around to seeing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Thought it was excruciatingly boring. I had heard really good things and I gotta say, I don’t get it. Brad Pitt’s character had some mildly entertaining parts but that was about it.

I found myself checking my watch every 15 or so minutes to see how much time was left until I could leave.

Essentially, Quentin Tarantino reproduced Hollywood cira 1969 impeccably, then created two characters, Rick and Cliff, and dropped them into 1969, and we got to see the impact that these fictional characters had on real life events. I thought it was brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #923
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost forgot I gave Domino a chance. Meh, such a waste of a good concept and a whole bunch of solid actors. It's rare that I quit a movie halfway through, but I was just so annoyed by the generic yet overly convoluted plot that combined with the busy visuals made watching it a chore. Just didn't want to waste my energy trying to concentrate on a movie that really wasn't worth it.

Would not recommend.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #924
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I didn't like OUATIH as much as I thought I would, as I was going into it looking for Tarantino wackiness but got a movie that's about celebrating a certain time and place, that took the time to let itself breathe and develop atmosphere. It's a style of movie making that's going out of fashion and I like that Tarantino wanted to make that type of film while it was still possible.

I remember going into Jackie Brown thinking it was going to be blaxploitation pulp fiction, but instead you get a slow story filled with old characters who never do anything that exciting. On a second viewing I was able to appreciate it for what it is and came out with a much higher opinion on it. I think I'll have a similar take on OUATIH after a second viewing.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #925
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Essentially, Quentin Tarantino reproduced Hollywood cira 1969 impeccably, then created two characters, Rick and Cliff, and dropped them into 1969, and we got to see the impact that these fictional characters had on real life events. I thought it was brilliant and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Also, if you're not a real cinephile, it's not a movie for you. So much of that film is about other films or the film industry and culture. It's a bit of a Tarantino pet project rather than a truly universally accessible film.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #926
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Also, if you're not a real cinephile, it's not a movie for you. So much of that film is about other films or the film industry and culture. It's a bit of a Tarantino pet project rather than a truly universally accessible film.
I don't pretend to be a student of that era of cinema but I don't recall a film where I felt I was being transported back in time like this one. It's hard to explain but for over two hours I felt like I was in the late 60's. I saw it in a big screen at CrossIron Mills so maybe that played a role as opposed to watching at home and I totally get why it may not resonate with everyone but to me it was a special experience. Even at over 2. 5 hours I felt like I could have sat through another hour easily.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #927
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't pretend to be a student of that era of cinema but I don't recall a film where I felt I was being transported back in time like this one. It's hard to explain but for over two hours I felt like I was in the late 60's. I saw it in a big screen at CrossIron Mills so maybe that played a role as opposed to watching at home and I totally get why it may not resonate with everyone but to me it was a special experience. Even at over 2. 5 hours I felt like I could have sat through another hour easily.
Agreed. I adored every frame of that movie, and the acting was fantastic. Can't wait to pick up the bluray in a couple of weeks.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #928
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally watched Phantom Thread. I really enjoyed it, but I can easily see why someone wouldn't. The movie is very arsty-fartsy, but I can dig it. If you are the kind of person who would enjoy going to an Art gallery, then you will be the kind of person who enjoys this movie. Plenty of beautiful things to look at and listen to, and lots to contemplate. That said, not very exciting and no driving plot.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #929
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I saw The Lighthouse last night and I can’t stop thinking about it... definitely isn’t gonna be for everyone but I absolutely loved it. Highly recommend
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #930
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Just got out of Parasite and it is a MUST WATCH, probably one of the best movies of the decade to me.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #931
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm looking forward to seeing it eventually. Hopefully folks don't spoil it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #932
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to Terminator, Dark Fate. 6/10. I think they were trying too hard to turn it into a tough chick flick.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #933
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Went to Terminator, Dark Fate. 6/10. I think they were trying too hard to turn it into a tough chick flick.
I thought it was pretty solid. 3rd best movie in the series easily, although that's not exactly a high bar to clear, considering the other sequels were mostly garbage. But I think they did a good job with this one and brought it back to the series' roots. Linda Hamilton stole the show.

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #934
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has James Cameron lost his touch?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #935
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Has James Cameron lost his touch?
No.

He wasn't a director, he produced it.

Never doubt James Cameron. The last two times people did he broke the all time box office record with Titanic and then broke his own record again with Avatar.

Say what you will about those movies (I actually think Titanic is pretty damn great) but the man knows what he's doing behind the camera. He's a genius.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #936
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Also, if you're not a real cinephile, it's not a movie for you.
oof.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #937
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
No.

He wasn't a director, he produced it.

Never doubt James Cameron. The last two times people did he broke the all time box office record with Titanic and then broke his own record again with Avatar.

Say what you will about those movies (I actually think Titanic is pretty damn great) but the man knows what he's doing behind the camera. He's a genius.

I know, I mean he is just associating himself recently with relatively unimportant, uninteresting films. I want to see guys like Cameron and Spielberg step behind the camera and actually direct again. I am just not enthusiastic about any releases by them when it’s just “produced” by them. It doesn’t seem to necessarily translate into good films.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #938
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Terminator series has been plagues by the failure of technology to sufficiently advance over time.

Killer robots would be ultimately thwarted by something as simple as Daylight Savings Time so as time has gone on from the originals society has come to see that murderous robots overthrowing society isnt really a credible threat.

What they dont realize is that Steve Jobs was actually a Robot and they're planning on taking over society's finances and commanding the world that way.

Kind of a compromise between The Matrix and Terminator.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #939
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

So I finally got around to watching Justice League on a flight last week... what a pile of steaming excrement.

I also watched The Last Samurai for the first time... it was very meh as well. I guess what I’m saying is I just should have kept reading my book.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #940
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Every Quentin Tarantino movie ever made.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote