Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #221
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to compare with Rutherford though...

He inherited a core that won a Stanley Cup, with guys like Sid, Gino, MAF and Letang forming the nucleus of his two Cups.

Doesn't diminish the moves Rutherford made, but using him as a comparable to Holland is a bit of reach.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #222
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fran Neilsen is 35. He was signed 3 seasons ago to a 6 year, $5.25M contract with a NTC. He managed 10 goals and 35 points last year. And has declined every year since he signed.

32 year old Abelkader makes $4.25 for the next 4 seasons (with an NTC). 19 points this year. 32 year old Helm is getting over $3M to score 17 points for the next two years (with an NTC)

He's "lucked into" Zetterberg, Franzen and Green being on LTIR to the tune of $15M.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #223
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

He inherited a core that won a Stanley Cup, with guys like Sid, Gino, MAF and Letang forming the nucleus of his two Cups.

Doesn't diminish the moves Rutherford made, but using him as a comparable to Holland is a bit of reach.
Holland inherited a Stanley Cup winning team with Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Murphy, Larionov, Osgood, etc. His team was really really deep.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #224
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But Holland is inheriting an even better core. McDavid > Sid, Drai > Gino, Koskinen > MAF and Klefbom > Letang.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #225
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
But Holland is inheriting an even better core. McDavid > Sid, Drai > Gino, Koskinen > MAF and Klefbom > Letang.
Green text?
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #226
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Green text?
A shade so bright it hasn’t been available since the 80s.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #227
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Holland inherited a Stanley Cup winning team with Yzerman, Lidstrom, Federov, Shanahan, Kozlov, Murphy, Larionov, Osgood, etc. His team was really really deep.
Holland did inherit a good team; though it can be argued he was partly responsible for Detroit's core as the AGM and as the head of amateur scouting before that...

i believe the context in which Rutherford is being brought up though is that he was considered past his prime when he was brought on to Pittsburgh, where the fan reaction was tepid.

so the use of Rutherford isn't being used to as an association to Holland's time with Detroit, but rather to suggest that Holland's hire in Edmonton is similar to Rutherford being hired in Pittsburgh

edit> i haven't seen the reference in full, but i am assuming if Stauffer is bringing it up, it is within his role as part of the Oilers organization...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-07-2019 at 04:55 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #228
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is Stauffer making this Rutherford comparison to what Holland did while he was in Detroit, or is he making it to what he expects Holland to do in Edmonton?

Because there is a big difference, here. One could argue that Holland inherited a SC capable roster similar to what Rutherford walked into in Pittsburgh, but it is then laughable to suggest that he now stand behind a comparable core of players in Edmonton that he merely needs to supplement in order to find success.

I get the sense from listening to Katz that the expectation there is to start competing now, and to win in the near future. His comments about how "anything can happen in the playoffs" I think have less to do with the thought that they can just squeak into the post season and find success, and moreso to do with how the team is constructed now. Katz seems to believe that the Oilers already have the big pieces in place, and that once they manage to make the playoffs, "Watch Out!" He says that he just KNOWS that the current group constructed around McHobo, the German, and Norris Nurse will find another gear in playoffs and turn the League on its head.

So much arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #229
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would you earnestly try to analyze what Stauffer says? It's pretty clear what he is, no?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #230
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Holland isn't going to have Hakan Andersson to rely on when drafting anymore. Looks like the Oil will continue to be no good and draft busts
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #231
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for the Oilers to not pick from their own OBC for a change I guess.

But it's another example of them just going after the big name like they do pretty much any time they hire or draft.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #232
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Good for the Oilers to not pick from their own OBC for a change I guess.

But it's another example of them just going after the big name like they do pretty much any time they hire or draft.
the problem is the OBC is still lurking around probably commenting on every decision and remembering the glory years - needs a total clean out if he has any chance
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #233
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

the oilers did it, so you know this was the wrong move
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #234
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t read the thread yet so apologies if this has been mentioned but I honestly believe that the Red Wings scouting staff and AHL staff developing those kids deserve the credit for the Red Wings success a decade ago. Holland was just the guy at the podium.

Nothing will change in that organization until Katz is gone.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #235
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holland did inherit a good team; though it can be argued he was partly responsible for Detroit's core as the AGM and as the head of amateur scouting before that...

i believe the context in which Rutherford is being brought up though is that he was considered past his prime when he was brought on to Pittsburgh, where the fan reaction was tepid.

so the use of Rutherford isn't being used to as an association to Holland's time with Detroit, but rather to suggest that Holland's hire in Edmonton is similar to Rutherford being hired in Pittsburgh

edit> i haven't seen the reference in full, but i am assuming if Stauffer is bringing it up, it is within his role as part of the Oilers organization...
Yes, I actually intended to note that he was there as a scout and AGM so it's not like he didn't contribute.

At the end of the day, I don't care who it is, the Oilers are in bad cap trouble, don't have much for prospects, and no one of trade value aside from a couple untouchables.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #236
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm wrong thread.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #237
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
the problem is the OBC is still lurking around probably commenting on every decision and remembering the glory years - needs a total clean out if he has any chance
Nicholson is still CEO, Gretzky and Lowe are still Vice Chairs, MacTavish still senior VP of hockey ops... this hire is pure porcine lipstick.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gallick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #238
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just thought it was fantastic how Ken Holland declared that he wants to keep Keith Gretzky around "in some capacity". If I were appointed GM for a truly terrible franchise, I believe that the first thing I'd do is to attempt an overhaul of the staff in the front office to hopefully fit in with my vision of where the team should be headed. Keeping Gretzky around certainly smells like the work of the obc, and if Holland submits to that as early as his own introduction, it could only lead to good things for us Flames fans.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #239
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, Lowe is still there so this is a minor shuffle of the deck chairs. Lowe gets to pull the strings via MacTavish like he has after Katz started listening to him again last offseason as Lowe constructed his coup.

Nicholson happy as a pig in that interview because Holland fell into his lap in the past days when Yzerman shunned Holland, and Nicholson is off the hook with his boss, who tasked him with cleaning up the mess, something he had no idea how he was going to do it, especially after his junket tour of the NHL and being told no one wants that joke of a job with an organization with so much internal drama, a cap team, a losing attitude and a ace no player would choose to play.

He thus is most happy he doesn't have the sleepless nights having to explain, as it was looking a foregone conclusion in hiring Gretzky Jr, and flat lie trying to convince the hockey world that Keith Gretzky was the best and only one in all of hockey that wanted the job, and how to spin that the OBC clubs want fully in play with his appointment.

Nicholson can now go back to the shadows and be the Hockey Canada mascot that Katz has collected, after designing the next burger, first.

Last edited by browna; 05-08-2019 at 01:30 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 AM   #240
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's rather funny how it's speculated that Ken Holland's full autonomy grants him the right to boot anyone from Hockey Ops, when in fact the people who needs to be flushed from the organization is not actually in Hockey Ops, but in Oilers Entertainment Group where they can only be fired by Katz. Except for maybe MacT and Howson, but they are about as untouchable as they come and if they are fired it will probably be sideways into OEG. It's a lovely structure really.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote