Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #1041
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well they better pray for a reason for people to come live here other than oil and gas. We can’t fill the towers we already have. 50 years, 100 years, 200 years, you have to have some confidence the city will grow and be viable. Right now there is absolutely zero reason to believe the city is ready for any growth no matter what timeframe.

To me, a plan like that screams just how detached from reality the City Council is. They don’t understand how dire things are here. Calgary is in emergency mode in my mind.
Geezuz that's dramatic. Calgary 200 years from now won't grow and be different? Calgary hasn't even been around for 200 years, and you're predicting emergency mode two centuries into the future?

My god, some of this is just madness.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #1042
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by GGG; 01-11-2019 at 08:37 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #1043
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The picture of the layout clearly says event center. We have been using that term for well over a year now. I don’t think it’s trying to hide anything.
Well Event Center does imply something more open to the city when really its just an Arena for the Flames.

There is certainly a reason its been referred to as an Event Center.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #1044
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well Event Center does imply something more open to the city when really its just an Arena for the Flames.

And Garbage Dumps are called Land Fills in planning documents. I don't see anything atypical from other planning documents trying to positively brand decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #1045
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Garbage Dumps are called Land Fills in planning documents. I don't see anything atypical from other planning documents trying to positively brand decisions.
Might be the norm, but it doesn't change the fact the main reason they do it is to distract the citizens from what it actually will be - a handout to CSEC.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #1046
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those library's are just a hand out to book makers.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #1047
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The project that interests me the most is the Convention Centre. With this facility in place, it will be on the Tier 1 level with other convention centres around the world and we'll be able to attract events and conferences that we otherwise would never have been able to bring. That means tourism dollars in a variety of industries.

The RFP is coming out this month.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #1048
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... probably because it polls better. Calling it an "Event Center" is just using propaganda weasel words. It's like someone not wanting to say they live in a duplex so when asked they say they live in a "semi-detached house".

Quote:
And Garbage Dumps are called Land Fills in planning documents.
Yeah, but are there people out there trying to claim that a landfill isn't a garbage dump? Because that's what people are trying to do here. I don't really care what terminology they call it but I do care that they call a spade a spade and right now they're trying to call a club a spade.

Last edited by Parallex; 01-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #1049
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah... probably because it polls better. Calling it an "Event Center" is just using propaganda weasel words. It's like someone not wanting to say they live in a duplex so when asked they say they live in a "semi-detached house".

Yeah, but are there people out there trying to claim that a landfill isn't a garbage dump? Because that's what people are trying to do here. I don't really care what terminology they call it but I do care that they call a spade a spade and right now they're trying to call a club a spade.
No one is trying to say the event center isn’t an arena. I agree that they are using the word that polls better. I don’t see an issue with that. Landfill/Garbage dump, Duplex/semi-detached, Arena/Event center. Event center has been used since CalgaryNext it’s not new to this debate and it’s not trying to sneak it in the planning document like the member of the committee alleged.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #1050
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
No one is trying to say the event center isn’t an arena.
The illustrious Councillor for Ward 1 is...

https://twitter.com/Ward4Ward1/statu...83206527881216
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #1051
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well they better pray for a reason for people to come live here other than oil and gas. We can’t fill the towers we already have. 50 years, 100 years, 200 years, you have to have some confidence the city will grow and be viable. Right now there is absolutely zero reason to believe the city is ready for any growth no matter what timeframe.

To me, a plan like that screams just how detached from reality the City Council is. They don’t understand how dire things are here. Calgary is in emergency mode in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Geezuz that's dramatic. Calgary 200 years from now won't grow and be different? Calgary hasn't even been around for 200 years, and you're predicting emergency mode two centuries into the future?

My god, some of this is just madness.
I'm convinced Mr Coffee logs in around midnight each night, finds something to be overly negative about then logs out a happy guy.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #1052
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It's not just and arena for Hockey though. It's a far more flexible space that will have the ability to host a variety of non-sporting events.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #1053
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling it an arena or event centre seems potato, potato. Even the Flames were referring to it as such in the CalgaryNEXT proposal. Not sure why the guy in the article was getting bent out of shape over it. Everyone knows it's primarily for the Flames to play in.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #1054
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
It's not just and arena for Hockey though. It's a far more flexible space that will have the ability to host a variety of non-sporting events.
When people say "the Flames" what they mean is "the Flames parent corporation". Every major arena in the world hosts a variety of non-sporting events.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #1055
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When people say "the Flames" what they mean is "the Flames parent corporation". Every major arena in the world hosts a variety of non-sporting events.
When a concert or event comes to town, CSEC is not the promoter or the entity putting the event on. The promoter would pay CSEC for the costs + a service charge of certain building operation staff like ushers, concessions, and security. CSEC isn't in the business of bringing those events to Calgary.

Those events are independent of the CSEC business, which is why the Event Center is more than just an arena for the Flames and CSEC.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #1056
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When a concert or event comes to town, CSEC is not the promoter or the entity putting the event on. The promoter would pay CSEC for the costs + a service charge of certain building operation staff like ushers, concessions, and security. CSEC isn't in the business of bringing those events to Calgary.

Those events are independent of the CSEC business, which is why the Event Center is more than just an arena for the Flames and CSEC.
Sure, but lets be honest here. The only reason this is getting built is for the flames to have a new home to play in. No flames no event center. And they purely use that term to try and sway people who may not be keen on giving the Flames a extremely favorable deal on a new arena.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #1057
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
When a concert or event comes to town, CSEC is not the promoter or the entity putting the event on.
Which is immaterial to the "Event Center" vs. "Arena". Arenas put on non-sporting events... calling it an "arena" does not (and has never) implied that it's just for hockey. Folk (Such as the counselors for wards 6 & 1) can call it an "Event Center" until the cows come home for all I care... but don't try to mislead the public into thinking that it's not just an arena by another name because that's precisely what it is.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #1058
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The illustrious Councillor for Ward 1 is...

https://twitter.com/Ward4Ward1/statu...83206527881216
Quote:
Twitter Question
"How many economic studies need to be done that show new arenas aren't an economic driver for a city?"

Ward Sutherland
"You are right arena are not, but event centre are!"
That's not even coherent engrish. Is he trying to pluralize arena(s) like stadium --> stadia? Same with centre(s)? And is he arguing that every hockey/basketball arena that has been studied doesn't host other events?

A few tweets down the string it looks like that's exactly what he thinks.

Last edited by powderjunkie; 01-11-2019 at 12:00 PM.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #1059
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but lets be honest here. The only reason this is getting built is for the flames to have a new home to play in. No flames no event center. And they purely use that term to try and sway people who may not be keen on giving the Flames a extremely favorable deal on a new arena.
I disagree, I think the City of Calgary would be actively looking to build an 18,000 seat modern arena/centre/coliseum/gardens or whatever they want to call it. The City would want that even without a hockey team.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #1060
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Which is immaterial to the "Event Center" vs. "Arena". Arenas put on non-sporting events... calling it an "arena" does not (and has never) implied that it's just for hockey. Folk (Such as the counselors for wards 6 & 1) can call it an "Event Center" until the cows come home for all I care... but don't try to mislead the public into thinking that it's not just an arena by another name because that's precisely what it is.
I agree, calling it an Arena, or Centre, or Dome, or Facility, or Colosseum, or gardens, really should not change anyone's decision and the current discussion is a huge waste of time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post: