Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #13801
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Right...by the end of the year. At the end of January he was pretty much on par with guys like Backlund. .
Pretty much on par with Backlund is only 7 more seconds per game..

Peters rode his top unit hard, everyone else was just secondary.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #13802
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait... are people actually criticizing Sam Bennett's power play ice time as being too much?

219 forwards logged at least 100 minutes on the PP in 2018-19, as Bennett did (120.98 minutes according to Corsica). Bennett sits as the 181st ranked player in the NHL in terms of PP ice time.

At 4.46 Points /60 minutes on the PP in his time under Peters, Bennett sits as the 84th most productive power play forward per minute among those 219 forwards. For reference, the 181st ranked player in terms of points per 60 (or something appropriate for Bennett's ice time) produced at 3.37 Points/60 minutes.

Now consider each team has at least 3 forwards and more likely 4 forwards stacked together on their first powerplay unit. A player on his team's second powerplay unit should really not even be in the top 93 to ~124 as that would be the guys playing together on their 1st unit PP (for instance in Calgary, Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk/Monahan). Bennett, despite playing second unit PP, is in the top 93.

Anyone suggesting Bennett played too many minutes on our SECOND unit powerplay needs to just... check themselves.

Code:
Player		TOI	G/60	A1/60	A2/60	P/60
MATTHEW.TKACHUK	266.52	2.93	1.58	1.35	5.85
ELIAS.LINDHOLM	270.35	2.00	2.66	1.11	5.77
JOHNNY.GAUDREAU	286.52	1.26	2.30	2.09	5.65
SEAN.MONAHAN	268.60	2.68	1.12	1.56	5.36
SAM.BENNETT	120.98	2.48	1.49	0.50	4.46
DEREK.RYAN	135.88	0.88	1.77	0.44	3.09
AUSTIN.CZARNIK	069.28	0.00	0.87	1.73	2.60
JAMES.NEAL	149.53	0.80	0.80	0.80	2.41
MIKAEL.BACKLUND	137.32	0.87	0.00	1.31	2.18
If anything, one has to wonder if Bennett would be producing more like the other top PP producers if he.. ya know... played with them as he, like Derek Ryan has very few secondary assists on the PP despite having a better primary assist rate than Monahan and a better goal rate than Gaudreau and Lindholm.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #13803
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

After listening to Craig Button break down what Kenny Holland needs to do in Edmonton. Anyone think you could get a RNH for Brodie trade done? Helps them, help us. I know RNH is a bit soft but he really really good.

Could be the #2 Center we want.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #13804
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
After listening to Craig Button break down what Kenny Holland needs to do in Edmonton. Anyone think you could get a RNH for Brodie trade done? Helps them, help us. I know RNH is a bit soft but he really really good.

LOL. Not a chance.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #13805
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Does anyone take Craig Button seriously when it comes to what a GM should do? I mean the man was a nightmare. He probably would trade RNH for some unknown Russian prospect.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #13806
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I try to forget what Button did amd take him seriously, but I can't. We could have had a decade of prime Iggy, Savard and St.Louis on the Flames if not for his buffoonery.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #13807
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I try to forget what Button did amd take him seriously, but I can't. We could have had a decade of prime Iggy, Savard and St.Louis on the Flames if not for his buffoonery.
And we almost didn't even have Iginla if he had his way.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #13808
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

never forget that Craig Button was offered Luongo for Derek Morris and he said no

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #13809
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In his defense that was in the era of clutch and grab hockey where small guys didn't get a lot of space and the Flames had Fleury and Corey Millen for a couple of seasons which probably made it tough to bring up another really small guy in St. Louis. The season after Millen was gone he did get over 60 games in the next two seasons and his game wasn't translating from the AHL with the Flames. While the Savard trade was pure idiocy I have a tough time being overly critical of him for this one as I feel St. Louis went to a perfect place in Tampa as I feel if a lot of other teams picked him up he would have toiled between the NHL and the AHL for the rest of his career not getting a full shake.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #13810
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
FWIW, when Savard and St. Louis left the Flames, there was no outcry among fans. It's not like these guys were obvious stars to anyone here.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #13811
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I remember being upset that they chose Gilbert over Savard as I was pretty sure even back then that Gilbert was not long for the club. Savard may not have been viewed as a star in the league but I think people saw him as a star locally if not one in the making.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #13812
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know this is supper far fetched but what are the chances that Dallas ownership is questioning if they can win with the their core players?

Calgary is doing it after one great season and 3 early playoff exits.

I personally believe in our group and am not an advocate of trading Johnny!

But if there was a way to trade for Jamie Ben than I would have a hard time saying no!

So my question is who says no to the trade?

Johnny Points in 5 years 387
Jamie point in 5 years 377

Johnny Age 25
Jamie Age 29

Johnny salary 6.75 for 3 more years
Jamie salary 9.5 for 6 more years

Jamie Benn is coming off his worst season since being a rookie and there was lots of criticism by the ownership group early on in the season. Dallas has failed to make the conference final under this core group. Maybe its not that far fetched to believe that Jamie Benn would be untouchable.

Pipe Dream!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #13813
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember being pissed when they traded St. Louis. You could tell he had just a tonne of potential any time when he was on the ice.

Dark days.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #13814
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
FWIW, when Savard and St. Louis left the Flames, there was no outcry among fans. It's not like these guys were obvious stars to anyone here.
St. Louis maybe. But there was certainly outcry for Savard. I'm sure a lot of people didn't see just how elite Savard would become, but there was definitely outcry and wanting Gilbert fired because he chased our only legit playmaking centre off the team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #13815
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Juice View Post
I know this is supper far fetched but what are the chances that Dallas ownership is questioning if they can win with the their core players?

But if there was a way to trade for Jamie Ben than I would have a hard time saying no!

Johnny Age 25
Jamie Age 29

Jamie Benn is coming off his worst season since being a rookie and there was lots of criticism by the ownership group early on in the season. Dallas has failed to make the conference final under this core group. Maybe its not that far fetched to believe that Jamie Benn would be untouchable.

Pipe Dream!
I wouldn't do that... Johnny's age difference + cap hit + offensive production makes him more valuable.

Something I would consider would be Johnny + Neal for Taylor Hall (with a pre-arranged contract extension).

From the Devils' perspective, they get a player that is from the general area, on a long term contract that they don't have to sell the player on.

From the Flames' perspective, they get the more well rounded player, and can make the dollars work if they can keep Hall under the $10M mark.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #13816
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny Age 25
Jamie Age 29

Pipe Dream!
That would be a brutal trade for Calgary and they easily say no.

The very last thing the Flames should donos trade from their core 4 forwards (70+ point guys) for players that are 3-4 years older.

If the Flames decide to make a massive shakeup I hope it would resemble last summer where they sent out a 25, 26, and 20 year old for a 21, and 23 year old.

I also think Dallas getting deep into round 2 has slowed the need for change there.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #13817
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You obviously weren't on CP when Savard was traded if you don't think there was outcry over that whole situation.

Unfortunately I don't think any of the archives of that time are still around, but there are still CPers who identify as Branch Savardian for sure.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #13818
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Lets not forget, Sam had many a turn in Froliks spot with Backlund last year and was not a very good fit(hence the Walsh tweet iirc)...so its not like it is some magic elixir and we all know what that looked like.

He was tried on the top line...failed.

Tried on line 2...failed.

Found a niche role on line 3 late in the year.......so...3rd liner? 27 pts is a 3rd line player offensive output in this league. And enough of the excessive PP time for him...he is simply unable to bring anything in that regard.

Simple.
I don't think it's that simple.

I think the basic counting stats of goals and assists are certainly simple, and for whatever reason the player doesn't finish and with that he can't hold a top six role.

No point in debating that.

But good things happen when Bennett is on the ice, which makes things less simple and more of a head scratcher as to where he fits.

The Flames had 12 line combinations that had more than 50 minutes of ice time together this past season. Eight of those combinations had positive expected goal totals.

Sam Bennett was on three of the positive combinations and none of the negative trios.

His second line work was actually good, as the trio had a 55% expected goal split (59% with Frolik), but actuals were 67% with Frolik and 55% with Bennett ... pucks just went in with 3M.

So what do you do with this guy? Will he ever produce? Is he a play driving compliment player in the top six or a really good third liner that can move up in a pinch?

Tough guy to figure out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #13819
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
I wouldn't do that... Johnny's age difference + cap hit + offensive production makes him more valuable.

Something I would consider would be Johnny + Neal for Taylor Hall (with a pre-arranged contract extension).

From the Devils' perspective, they get a player that is from the general area, on a long term contract that they don't have to sell the player on.

From the Flames' perspective, they get the more well rounded player, and can make the dollars work if they can keep Hall under the $10M mark.
This is perhaps the type of deal that the Devils would consider to also take on a Neal type contract. If they can't sign Hall (which is complete speculation), getting Johnny as a consolation prize would be quite enticing and way better than getting some good draft picks at the trade deadline for him.

Of course, Hall may well be wanting to test UFA and see what's out there. He may well sign an extension with New Jersey. But I could see the deal making sense to Calgary, although I'd rather move Monny rather than Johnny (but that centre thing).
Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #13820
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny Age 25
Jamie Age 29

Pipe Dream!
I really like Jamie Benn but he's close to 30 and has the whiff of a player that could decline sharply in his 30's. I would only take him back in a trade that involves Neal going the other way to balance the risk as there's a good chance Ben's contract starts looking pretty bad in a few seasons.
Closed Thread