Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #3861
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
A toronto-Vancouver swap makes a ton of sense. Nylander will help Vancouver's rebuild. And assets like Edler, Sutter, Tanev and Baertschi could be interesting for Toronto both today and in the future. If Toronto's going for it this year, this would be an interesting trading partner.
I can't imagine an of those players being anywhere interesting for Toronto.

If they trade Nylander, they will want a young decent d-man with some years of control left.

Toronto may be going for it this year, but they are still building for a contender status over a number of years.

Your trade suggested reminds me of when the Flames trade Phaneuf for a bunch of stuff.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #3862
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
The Flames probably can't afford Nylander.

We are just okay at C we have Monahan and Backlund long term with a couple of decent depth options. We are slightly better at D with only Giordano and Hanafin long term, but some of the kids are looking promising and we have Brodie/Hamonic for two more seasons. We are yuck at goal with zero long term options and our kids struggling.

But we look very good at wing with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Neal, and Lindholm long term. We also have a number of short term options and younger hopefuls.

Giving up assets from our D to spend more cap on our wing would be a tough move to justify. It would allow us to shift Lindholm to C and really balance out the top 9 and maybe justify the cap. And if you can do it for something like Ryan + Brodie I would consider it. But chances are it's something like Bennett+Andersson+pick and that's not worth it for a winger that's going to get paid too much.
Ryan+Brodie and you would “consider it”? That is a deal you do all day long and laugh at the Leafs for trading a 22 year old offensive stud for a 28 year old struggling top 4S and 31 year old bottom 6 player making north of $3M

I agree Bennett+Andersson is a price we can’t afford. Andersson is an important piece for the future and would crumble the depth we have on the blue line. Bennett is one of the only physical players on the team and we need more of what he brings.

The Flames have 3 very good D 21 or younger that I am sure interest Toronto but they are not pieces the Flames can part with.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #3863
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
That is a fairly widely held belief. If not Lewis than in his employ.
He was not subtle.
I seem to recall someone pointing out that it was a Devils (? some east coast team) fan from some other media who was obsessed with Gaudreau *shrug*

Given the Devils (Flyers?) are from the same area Gaudreau grew up, it was probably a sibling, friend, cousin or uncle, not Lewis Gross. The posted was biased, but didn't really seem to understand the intricacies of such a contract situation that any agent would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He sure disappeared as soon as Johnny signed.
I believe (s)he was banned?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #3864
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nylander is not coming to the Flames.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #3865
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love the way our defence lines up right now. Young guys are making some mistakes but seem to be learning fast and gaining confidence. I know defensive depth is very important especially come playoffs but what about this idea;

To TOR:
Hamonic
Foo
2nd

To CGY;
Nylander

Might seem underwhelming to Tor fans and that second might have to be changed to a first, but it really seems like Dubas hands are tied and he's looking to trade him for D help. Also Foo is a good right wing prospect to sweeten the deal.

Flames might have to make another move or two to make this work capwise, and hoping we can sign Nylander for something around 6 per long term.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #3866
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames don't want Nylander because it screws up the cap. If the reports are that he wants 8 mil, then he probably gets it done in the high 7s and I don't see the flames being willing to do that after Tree has worked so hard to lock up the core under the Gio cap. I know some people don't think it exists, but looks at the contracts. They all fall in line according to the players value to the team.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #3867
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Love the way our defence lines up right now. Young guys are making some mistakes but seem to be learning fast and gaining confidence. I know defensive depth is very important especially come playoffs but what about this idea;

To TOR:
Hamonic
Foo
2nd

To CGY;
Nylander

Might seem underwhelming to Tor fans and that second might have to be changed to a first, but it really seems like Dubas hands are tied and he's looking to trade him for D help. Also Foo is a good right wing prospect to sweeten the deal.

Flames might have to make another move or two to make this work capwise, and hoping we can sign Nylander for something around 6 per long term.
If Nylander was willing to sign for $6MM/year long-term, he would have done it already. It is not like he wants out of Toronto, he just wants to get paid.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #3868
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
If Nylander was willing to sign for $6MM/year long-term, he would have done it already. It is not like he wants out of Toronto, he just wants to get paid.
60 points does not get you 8M, he will definitely not get that. Toronto is lowballing him or only offering a bridge deal because they have to sign Matthews, Marner, Kapanin, and Gardiner next year. All of those contracts will be big. They can't afford to pay him right now.

Nylander is not happy about this, but he's not holding out for 8M. That just won't happen. If he got traded to Calgary and they offered him 7 years 6M per, I'd bet he signs.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #3869
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought the Toronto bridge contract offer was supposedly 2-3-4 years at less than 5 million.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #3870
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
60 points does not get you 8M, he will definitely not get that. Toronto is lowballing him or only offering a bridge deal because they have to sign Matthews, Marner, Kapanin, and Gardiner next year. All of those contracts will be big. They can't afford to pay him right now.

Nylander is not happy about this, but he's not holding out for 8M. That just won't happen. If he got traded to Calgary and they offered him 7 years 6M per, I'd bet he signs.
It has been widely reported that Nylander wants something in the range of what Draisaitl got in the $8MM on a long-term deal and the Leafs want to sign him around $6MM/season long-term. I agree he's not worth $8MM, but that is what he is asking for. So if you are going to trade for him, be prepared to pay. As things drag out, they might be looking at a bridge deal.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #3871
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friedman was talking about this yesterday on the fan and basically he thinks nylander wants some guarantees that he isnt traded right away and close to 7.5 AAV while tor obviously can't promise no trade really, and they are up to 6.5 AAV so it seems the money will get closer but it may not get done because of other things.

Nylander makes no sense in Calgary, and honestly he isn't even that good.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #3872
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't sign a bridge in TO either...they are gonna have 3 forwards at 30M. Good luck being the 4th guy
Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #3873
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The only way I want to see a CGY/TO trade is to make up for the Phaneuf trade:

To CGY:
Nylander (Phaneuf)
Bracco (Aulie)
Leivo (Sjostrom)

To TOR:
Brodie (Stajan)
Frolik (Hagman)
Peluso (Mayers)
Lazar (White)

This would help even out the garbage we got in the Phaneuf trade.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #3874
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Trading for Nylander would be like spending money on a new windows when you’ve got a crack in the foundation that needs attention.

Yeah, you’re improving the place, but there are much bigger issues that need fixing, one that might endanger the long term viability of your home. It might be nothing, but you better be sure before you go spending money on nice-to-have upgrades.

Any and all Nylander talk to Calgary is crazy talk and pure fantasy imo.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #3875
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

johnny - mony - nylander
tkachuk - backlund - lindholm
bennett - jankowski - neal
dube - ryan - czarnik/frolik

pretty sexy lineup
Old 10-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #3876
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

To TOR:
Hamonic
Foo
2nd

To CGY;
Nylander

This would be terrible for the Flames cap-wise. Not only would the Flames need to dump salary in the next month to be able to sign Nylander, but they would also have to dump further salary in the off-season to have the space to sign Tkachuk and a legit starting goaltender.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #3877
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
This would be terrible for the Flames cap-wise. Not only would the Flames need to dump salary in the next month to be able to sign Nylander, but they would also have to dump further salary in the off-season to have the space to sign Tkachuk and a legit starting goaltender.
Treliving will definitely have his work cut out for him but I think its possible. Trade Frolik and Stone in offseason. Smith and Hamonics contracts are gone. Im sure its just a pipe dream but the core would look incredible.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #3878
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Signing Neal and Ryan this past offseason officially puts us out of the running for adding a contract like Nylander.

We need to re-sign Tkchuck so even if we trade Frolik and/or Stone or Brodie we will be hard pressed to fit all remaining pieces in.

It doesn't make sense, I wish it did but it doesn't.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #3879
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Hearing @Leafs and Nylander continue strong dialogue for potential resolution. To my knowledge no pending deal as of yet but talk of possible 6 yr term being discussed. Allows Leafs to lock in 1st UFA yr while raising his AAV. Speculation on my part but
thinking 6.5-7m per
Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #3880
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Hearing @Leafs and Nylander continue strong dialogue for potential resolution. To my knowledge no pending deal as of yet but talk of possible 6 yr term being discussed. Allows Leafs to lock in 1st UFA yr while raising his AAV. Speculation on my part but
thinking 6.5-7m per
So he is signing the Gaudreau/Pasternak deal?

Doesn’t that buy at least 2 years of UFA?
Closed Thread