Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the draft is a crapshoot...

i'd rather draft guys that are skilled and can skate...

you want the opposite of that? or are you just being a contrarian?
No, just commenting that the Flames have a fast guy - you had said there wasn't anyone on the team with high speed. Now, he's tiny, and tends to skate to the outside, not to the net, so he doesn't use it effectively, like a Mackinnon. He also doesn't play great defence, so he's not as useful as a guy like Comeau.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #102
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, just commenting that the Flames have a fast guy - you had said there wasn't anyone on the team with high speed. Now, he's tiny, and tends to skate to the outside, not to the net, so he doesn't use it effectively, like a Mackinnon. He also doesn't play great defence, so he's not as useful as a guy like Comeau.
its tough to say whether Czarnik would have made a difference since he only got to play that single game.

during the season, he did have a run of games where he stepped up and really helped offset the top lines struggles.

He is a guy that could be deployed more, but you are correct in that his defense isn't that good... but iirc neither was Comeau's when he was here...

a guy like Hinze for example has made a huge impact for Dallas... and he was just a 2nd round pick. Same with Foegele for Carolina 3rd round)... both excellent skaters and guys that have some skill but can be hard on the puck and because of their skating and size they have had big impacts for both Dallas and Carolina
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #103
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Czarnik was playing more physical in that last game then most of the forwards at any point in the series. The guy has heart.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 AM   #104
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
its tough to say whether Czarnik would have made a difference since he only got to play that single game.

during the season, he did have a run of games where he stepped up and really helped offset the top lines struggles.

He is a guy that could be deployed more, but you are correct in that his defense isn't that good... but iirc neither was Comeau's when he was here...

a guy like Hinze for example has made a huge impact for Dallas... and he was just a 2nd round pick. Same with Foegele for Carolina 3rd round)... both excellent skaters and guys that have some skill but can be hard on the puck and because of their skating and size they have had big impacts for both Dallas and Carolina
Hinze is 6'3" and 190. Czarnik is 5'9" 160. I'm not all about size, but it can be a limiting factor, especially when you don't have elite skill like a Gaudreau or Fleury.

Czarnik can be a gritty and hard forechecker when he chooses, but it's never been consistent.

As far as the draft goes, I think at that position it's pretty much BPA.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #105
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Brett Leason would be nice but I think he’s starting to drop on many draft lists. I’ve seen him show up as a 2nd rounder on a lot of recent lists. I think there will be better candidates for Calgary’s first round pick.

Sticking with over-agers, I like Samuel Fagemo from Sweden. He’s playing in Sweden and was over here for the WJC. I could see him still available for Calgary’s 3rd round pick.
Looks like Fagemo might not be around for Calgary's 3rd round pick after all. Scott Wheeler's Top 100 list is out now and he ranked Fagemo at 42.
Quote:
42. Samuel Fagemo — LW/RW, Frölunda HC, 5-foot-11
It took Fagemo some time to figure out exactly how he was most useful. There was a decent stretch of his young career where he tried to do too much and make things happen on his own and it meant that the skills he had weren’t being used to the best of his ability. Then, at the beginning of this year in SuperElit, he flipped a switch and basically decided he was going to be a pure scorer — but an unselfish one. That’s not always easy to do. Players who can blow pucks past goaltenders with a release like Fagemo’s (the puck curls off his blade without it even looking like he was shooting it) want to be volume shooters who use their skill to get to the slot and score. The inherent problem with that mentality is that it’s often counterproductive because it puts pressure on them to make individual plays and shoot through traffic. Now, Fagemo has dedicated himself to getting open and sliding into soft pockets in the offensive zone. In doing so, he gets more time to pick his spot and score. It takes the right kind of linemates but it’s eminently more dangerous. His 14 goals and 25 points in 42 games ranked first among under-19 SHL players, ahead of Blues first-round pick Dominik Bokk (who is actually a month older than Fagemo). He’s legit, overage status be damned, and will be a power play threat at any level. His skating has vastly improved too, which makes him a puck carrying threat that defencemen have to be cognizant of, especially now that he has begun to learn to go wide instead of trying to do too much.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #106
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Craig Button has the Flames taking German d-man Moritz Seider in his latest mock draft

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummet...-3-0-1.1296254

Quote:
The Calgary Flames have the 26th pick, where Button thinks German defenceman Moritz Seider makes a lot of sense. The 6-foot-3 1/2, 183-pound, right-shot blueliner plays for Adler Mannheim of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga and will represent his country at the IIHF World Hockey Championship this month.

“Seider is a very good skating defenceman and positionally strong,” Button said. “I like his competitiveness and feel for the game. I think he can be a strong second-pair defenceman in the NHL, perhaps in the mould of Adam Larsson.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #107
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see them taking a forward or a goalie. I honestly can't see them taking more D
Old 05-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #108
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Last thing the Flames need is another D prospect in the first round. This should be forward all the way IMO.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #109
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Last thing the Flames need is another D prospect in the first round. This should be forward all the way IMO.
How dare you argue with the logic and infinite wisdom of Craig Button!!!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #110
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

BPA please. I don’t care the position.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #111
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Exactly, SportsJunky!

You're not drafting anywhere close to need that late in the first round. Go with best player available always in this situation. Narrowing your choices at that point in the draft is, and I apologize, foolish.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #112
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
"mould of Adam Larsson"...That's huge... We could potentially get a Taylor Hall for this guy.

Last edited by nickerjones; 05-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #113
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, Czarnik is really fast. But it doesn't seem to translate into success at all.
I'm still interested in Czarnik. That string of games he put together on the third line when Neal was out showed his potential.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #114
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope the Flames take a center over a d man this time around. Our shelves are kind of low at all spots but this is a very good forward draft.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #115
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Agreed....Calgary's developmental track for D is pretty good imo... 4 D men in the NHL all under 22.

who are they going pass to in 4 years?

there's one guy in the system right now that looks to make the NHL: Dube ... outside of him, who else is there? Mangiapane?

Normally, I'm all fro BPA, but considering the cliff coming up at forward, I sure am hoping they draft a speedy forward with some skill and jam to his game.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-10-2019 at 09:19 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #116
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like a forward... Especially with the D signings we just made outside of North America... I think we need to let our scouts take the lead on getting the best forward at 26. Hopefully it is someone like Tomasino.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #117
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Exactly, SportsJunky!

You're not drafting anywhere close to need that late in the first round. Go with best player available always in this situation. Narrowing your choices at that point in the draft is, and I apologize, foolish.
Each draft has a different feel to it. Some drafts you're so flush with D men you're getting a good one in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. We did that in the Andersson draft. This draft is more forward heavy where you could easily land a good top 9 forward in the first 3 rounds. It's a good forward draft. And lots of meat on the bone through the 2nd round easy. And seeing the Flames dont have a 2nd as of today, it is not foolish to think that there's a really really good forward they can land with that 1st. And go fishing for depth in the later rounds.

There's some decent d men and not as deep as fws.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I would like a forward... Especially with the D signings we just made outside of North America... I think we need to let our scouts take the lead on getting the best forward at 26. Hopefully it is someone like Tomasino.
Tomasino, Adam Beckman, Nikolaiev, Dorofeyev, Matvey Guskov (Sleeper Pick), Simon Holmstrom, Suzuki. Hell, I'll even throw in Podkolzin in.

You're going to get an amazing fw @26. And this list isn't even including others I have posted about which is about 5 more. Sick draft for front end skill.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #119
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those paying more attention than I am...

How is the second round looking? It seems like the kind of draft where picking up an extra pick in that round could be a better move than in recent years.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #120
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
For those paying more attention than I am...

How is the second round looking? It seems like the kind of draft where picking up an extra pick in that round could be a better move than in recent years.
That's what I was wondering too. Could a 26th over-all fetch an early second-rounder plus (say, an extra third or an additional player asset)?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote