Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I can’t imagine why Bennett would do this.

He’ll go short term and hope he breaks out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hoping for a breakout at this point would be foolish as this likely means 40-50 points, at best, given his offensive acumen (or lack thereof) over his first 4 years. He's still a good two-way player on this team and checks the box as tough to play against.

If I'm Bennett and the Flames I'm looking hard at guys like Jarnkrok who signed long term deals in similar situations. That 6 year $12M deal Jarnkrok and the Predators signed is probably more like 5 years/$15M in today's NHL, but it would make a lot of sense for both Bennett and the Flames to go longer term given the team actually needs a few hard nosed players that can play up and down the lineup.

It would be a good gamble for the Flames. If Bennett does somehow turn into a consistent 40 point guy, you're getting a bargain given everything else he does on the ice. If he doesn't, no real loss. He's still a guy that doesn't hurt you at all on a bargain of a contract.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-10-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm the Flames I let him walk.

3rd and 4th liners are a dime a dozen. Cut bait on one of the biggest busts in Flames history and move on.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #23
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could see this one going to arbitration. I don't think we'll see a long term deal.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #24
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

3rd and 4th liners are a dime a dozen. Cut bait on one of the biggest busts in Flames history and move on.
I don't see him as a bust. He may not be a game breaker, but if you can turn a draft pick into 10 years or more than it isn't a bust as there is value there. He plays a heavy game and that is just as important. He was one of the few players whose give a bleep meter registered.

Draft position is irrelevant at this point. What is relevant is he is the type of player that can make a difference in a series. He did his part.

I think he still has a bit more to give. I could see him carve out a niche in the league and be comparable to Boone Jenner or more offensive Clutterbuck.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #25
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For the amount of negativity Monahan is getting for the playoffs, Bennett should be getting some serious love. Seemed like the only player trying.
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrButtons For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #26
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
3.25 per. 4 years
I wouldn't mind this as Bennett has played 5 years so far and 2 more seasons get him to UFA. For the team you get 2 UFA years, for Bennett if he out performs the contract he will still be a UFA at 27 and will have the ability to still cash in.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hopefully short term so he can leave and be appreciated somewhere else. Flames only give minutes to the marshmallows.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #28
1234iggykipper
Draft Pick

Quote:

Just because he hasn't lived up to his pre draft hype doesn't make him a bust of an NHLer. He is a heart and soul kind of player that you need on the team when things get tough. If they're a dime a dozen why do we have so few serviceable ones on the team? Where are you finding these 23 yr old cheap 3rd liners? Thats right you don't just find them, you have to draft them. Letting him walk now would be a huge mistake imo.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
Hopefully short term so he can leave and be appreciated somewhere else. Flames only give minutes to the marshmallows.
You mean the marshmallows that happen to score a whole lot more?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #30
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Bennett has shown the ability to be one of, if not the only skaters currently on this roster to raise his game significantly in the playoffs. He also provides physicality, passion, and a clear want to win. These are all things this team is lacking. He may not have the upside that we once all envisioned but he can and will be a key contributor to this team moving forward.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #31
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I've been a big get rid of Bennett activist until this season. Since Peters came in to coach the team, Bennett has accepted his role and cut down on the stupid penalties and boneheaded mistakes that plagued him under Gulutzan. All that's left is for him to keep at it and make a push to provide a little more goal scoring ability. If he does that, we've got a player, even if we're talking 15 goals, 25 assists.

As far as this team going deeper in the post season is concerned....you'll need a few Bennett's on your roster if you're going to mask the cream puffness of players like Monahan.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is not a good description of Bennett at all.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #33
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
This is not a good description of Bennett at all.
#1 rated North American forward in the 2014 draft.

Averaging 26 points over the last 3 years.

Y'all are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy about him being this great grinder.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Hoping for a breakout at this point would be foolish as this likely means 40-50 points, at best, given his offensive acumen (or lack thereof) over his first 4 years. He's still a good two-way player on this team and checks the box as tough to play against.

If I'm Bennett and the Flames I'm looking hard at guys like Jarnkrok who signed long term deals in similar situations. That 6 year $12M deal Jarnkrok and the Predators signed is probably more like 5 years/$15M in today's NHL, but it would make a lot of sense for both Bennett and the Flames to go longer term given the team actually needs a few hard nosed players that can play up and down the lineup.

It would be a good gamble for the Flames. If Bennett does somehow turn into a consistent 40 point guy, you're getting a bargain given everything else he does on the ice. If he doesn't, no real loss. He's still a guy that doesn't hurt you at all on a bargain of a contract.
40- 50 points for a third liner who doesn't get PP time and plays with grit is actually very good.

I just don't think Bennett is likely to limit himself with a long term deal.

He's the kind of guy who might be open to an offer sheet, as he won't
be worth the type of compensation that harms the signing team, and Bennett might well appreciate an opportunity where he gets better top 6 minutes.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #35
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You said "let him walk". That would be a dumb thing to do.

The first part is no longer relevant. People forget he is only 22, the same age that Johnny was in his rookie year.

Sean Couturier was 25 when he broke out, after averaging 32 points per season over his first 6 seasons in the league.

I'm not saying the same thing will happen with Bennett, but to "cut him" would be very foolish.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #36
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me he can be labeled as a bust based on how high he was drafted, however I love him and he is a long term flame. He has cleaned up the stupid penalty taking and is still young.

5 year deal 2- 2.5 mil season
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
To me he can be labeled as a bust based on how high he was drafted, however I love him and he is a long term flame. He has cleaned up the stupid penalty taking and is still young.

5 year deal 2- 2.5 mil season
Just zero chance Bennett will do this.

He can likely easily make this going year to year, but will also have the upside if he busts out.

Contracts like this (for 22 tear olds) are very rare, and generally signed by guys who expect they will never "bust out" and want some financial security. Bennett doesn't seem like a guy who lacks confidence.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

He may break out, but he’s also injury prone and plays an injury prone style. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a contract longer than 2 years
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #39
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

5 x 5 , of which 2.5 is the base and 2.5 is on the condition he keeps the moustache.
He is a different player with the ’stache
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #40
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Y'all are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy about him being this great grinder.
If anything you seem to be the one caught up in his draft status, which at this point has no relevance. We all agree he hasn't lived up to his pre-draft status or draft position.
But that doesn't mean you walk away from him.
Can he serve a role on the team and what value does that role bring?
That's the evaluation.
For a team that lacks jam - why would you "walk away" from him?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: