Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 09:03 PM   #1001
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The BOA should be pretty entertaining this year, as the Flames have completely switched out their core and the new guys will no doubt be itching to make their mark on the rivalry.

Also it'll be fun watching Kadri annoy the f*** out of the Oilers all season.

We don't need a crystal ball to know you can practically already sub in McDavid and Kane on the left and Kadri on the right.^

The salt production will be glorious.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:04 PM   #1002
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The BOA should be pretty entertaining this year, as the Flames have completely switched out their core and the new guys will no doubt be itching to make their mark on the rivalry.

They only play 3 times this season, all before the New Year, so "all season" really means 2 of the first 3 Saturdays of the season and the first game after Christmas.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:07 PM   #1003
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The schedule this year isn’t very conducive to a year of great BOAs. Game 3 of the season before the team gets rolling, next one is early also at end of Oct. The final matchup is right after the Christmas break.

On the positive we only have to endure going to Edmonton once, and we could be able to get away without Jack Michaels all year.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:56 PM   #1004
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It doesn't matter, the Oilers will be out of the playoffs by January, and league doormats as they fire another coach, and Conna and Pissface go into business for themselves, and Mike Smith admits under oath that he wasn't hurt and the Oilers paid him extra to pretend he was.

Then the league will relegate Edmonton to the ECHL where they belong, and Conna will end up in New York, and Leon will end up in Dallas.

The end.

buh buh Oilers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 12:23 AM   #1005
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It doesn't matter, the Oilers will be out of the playoffs by January, and league doormats as they fire another coach, and Conna and Pissface go into business for themselves, and Mike Smith admits under oath that he wasn't hurt and the Oilers paid him extra to pretend he was.

Then the league will relegate Edmonton to the ECHL where they belong, and Conna will end up in New York, and Leon will end up in Dallas.

The end.

buh buh Oilers.
Thanks for the beautiful bedtime story.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:40 PM   #1006
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

My twitter feed lit up because staples wrote an article about the ucp race and people’s response was…what does a sports writer know about law and politics. My response is that he also knows literally nothing about sports. And I’m not sure that he can write either!

He is a urinal designer. That’s it. That’s the list.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:56 PM   #1007
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing is that Staples' actual job, the thing he's paid to do is Provincial Affairs columnist for the Journal. Whenever his crappy hockey writing is criticized, he will always point out that he's not a hockey columnist, he's "just a fan with a blog".

Yet, if you look at the last 10 stories he has posted on the Journal's website, 6 are about the Oilers and 4 are about the UCP race. In the next 10, 9 are about the Oilers and the other is a whining "why don't we build coast-to-coast railways anymore" column.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:20 PM   #1008
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

E=NG not limited to hockey...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1568797880747704320
Old 09-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #1009
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They only play 3 times this season
Really? That sounds strange.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:09 AM   #1010
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Really? That sounds strange.
With 32 teams in the league, each team plays 2 games against the teams in the other Conference (2 x 16 = 32); 3 games against the teams in the other Division of their own Conference (3 x 8 = 24); 4 games against 5 of the teams in their own Division (4 x 5 = 20); and 3 games against the other 2 teams in their own Division (3 x 2 = 6) ... for a total of 82 games.

This year, the 3-game teams in the Pacific for the Flames are Edmonton and Seattle.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #1011
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Mental gymnastics at their finest

https://twitter.com/user/status/1568661102933995526
Old 09-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #1012
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol that's a glaring whoopsie from Staples that's not going to help his case in attempting to look grounded or rational in evaluating his own team this season. Good way to make you look disconnected from reality, thus drawing all your other takes into question.

For comparison, if hypothetically we were to re-up Lindholm for 14 million x 8, he's then by the same logic immune to the scrutiny of being dubbed overpaid on the next contract because he made 4.85 AAV previously and overperformed for a few years.

Not that it needs to be said but critiquing contracts doesn't work retroactively like that where you evaluate current contracts based on past work, and never has. No one does this, except for Staples apparent, to ironically support his own delusional conformation bias.

You're either overpaid or not.

Oiler people are really proving us right about Oiler people in September/October once again.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #1013
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Yeah, people with confirmation bias should really engage in some reflection & step into the world of confirmed bias with Davy Boy.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #1014
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post

I heard a great quote the other day (not a perfect quote as I can't remember it perfectly).... "just because 19 out of 20 people think that 2 + 2 = 5, that doesn't make the one who answered 4 extreme"...

[cut a bunch of stuff about diversity of opinion, self-awareness of personal biases, red pilling (which is also a "red flag" that someone's probably not worth arguing with so no idea why I'm responding), and the scientific method]
Anyhow, I think that the point you're making is generally a good one - people should be open to new ideas, new information, and critical of governments and institutions.

But the analogy in your quotation is completely backwards.

Fleury is not some genius outlier thinker like Copernicus arguing the earth revolves around the sun while everyone else believes that the sun revolves around the earth.

He's the guy arguing 2+2 is 5 while 19 scientists, mathematicians and statisticians and other experts are 99.9% certain that 2+2 is 4 and have mountains of evidence and data to prove it.

As for Fleury's number being retired, I'm agnostic on that. If it's purely about hockey performance, it's a no-brainer.

If it's about connecting your organization to someone whose opinions and behaviour have called demonstrable real-world harm, it's also a no-brainer.

(And now to put the thread back on track, 19 out of 20 Coiler fans think Edmonton is the greatest team ever but one Calgary fan pointing out they're not *is* a good use of that analogy since the quality of a team is subjective.)
Old 09-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #1015
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How does the NHL do scheduling? I assume they want 2 games versus everyone which comes out to 62 games with 20 otherwise. I don’t understand out of that 20 they don’t have a full 4 against the division which is 14 more games leaving 6 for the other division in your conference. Which yes would mean 2 teams in the central we’d play 2 times. But not having a full BoA game slate this year and having our last game be in December is really a massive fail as scheduling goes. Pretty disappointing.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:11 AM   #1016
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really really hope the NHL finally gets their crap together and uses Mike Smith as the start of clamping down on LTIR abuse. It is absolute bs he should qualify because he got old. The Oilers are trying to say he was all banged up during the playoffs last year but nothing coming out of Smith's mouth right after indicated that, just that he was contemplating retiring.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...early-to-tell/

The league needs to step up and make an example here. They won't but they damn well should.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:55 AM   #1017
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Wait—what?

Darnell Nurse has made a total of $18.5 m over the past five seasons. This means that Staples believes Nurse to have played to the level of at minimum a $6.7 m player on average. That is ridiculous.

But let's concede that maybe Nurse was a $5.0 m defenseman in the last year of his second contract, which carried a cap hit of $863,000. This means that from 2017-20 Staples believes that Nurse was underpaid by $9.263 m over that time, which in turn also means that in 2020-22 Staples thinks that Nurse was an $8.0 m player.

My God. What an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-11-2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #1018
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know how underpaid Staples was in his previous job but he is for sure overpaid on this one. At least now we know why his work is crap. It’s to make up for being underpaid earlier! By staplesian logic it all works out!
Old 09-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #1019
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hard to take any EDM media people seriously when they can't admit to their team taking an 'L' for any of its roster work with no exceptions.

I'd love to hear where Stapsies thinks the Oilers/Holland HAVEN'T done well. Whatever he has penciled down, he probably has reasons to excuse that too.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #1020
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough