Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #401
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I sure somebody has been on here saying;

They should have read the 13 specific comics from 1988, made these six changes to that exact story, before adding this character, and killing these 3 people instead of those 3 people. Then possibly they could have relaxed and enjoyed themselves.

But I'm sure the rest us can enjoy this for what it is, the most ambitious film I have ever seen, that succeeds on almost every level leaving us itching for the next chapter.
I think everyone should read those comics. They're brilliant.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #402
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think everyone should read those comics. They're brilliant.
Personally, I consider them the Infinity War of comic books.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #403
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
To have a relatively strong sense of what's going on, you probably need...

Avengers 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Dr. Strange (sort of)
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok

Everything else is probably superfluous. You could make a case for Avengers 2 but then you'd just be wondering where Wanda's accent went.

Thinking about the same question I came up with the exact same list, except I would definitely keep Avengers 2 rather than Avengers 1. Avengers 2 adds relevant characters in Wanda and Vision and it's a more up to date version of the character relations. (The only somewhat relevant character that's in Avengers 1 but not in 2 is Loki, but he's in Ragnarök a lot.)

Oh, and considering that she's apparently moved to an English-speaking country and started dating someone speaking perfect English between the films, it's not that weird that Wanda has lost her accent.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #404
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but Avengers 1 is your introduction to the universe. You can't just start with GOTG. I suppose you could put A2 first but it'd be a super weird in medias res thing; that film was clearly designed for people who already knew the universe well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #405
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Avengers 1 also gives you the reason for the relation mentioned between Tony and Thanos. It also shows you Thanos for the first time. I think it's the best starting point if you don't want to dig into all the movies before.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #406
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is comic book talk allowed in here?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #407
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is comic book talk allowed in here?
I think if it's about the old comics you should be ok. The Gauntlet comics are 27 years old. Spoiler rules shouldn't apply anymore.

Unless you want to discuss the ending to the comics and how that might play out in the movie.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #408
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
To have a relatively strong sense of what's going on, you probably need...

Avengers 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Dr. Strange (sort of)
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok

Everything else is probably superfluous. You could make a case for Avengers 2 but then you'd just be wondering where Wanda's accent went.
I'd swap Black Panther for Avengers 2. Black Panther is fairly stand-alone. The character, Wakanda and the Winter Soldier being there were already been introduced in Captain America: Civil War.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #409
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone posted a while back that Thanos defeated Hulk because he had the power stone. But he appears to have not used it during the fight. On other occasions where Thanos did use stones had used the gauntlet to activate them. Is this a proper interpretation? He beat Hulk cuz he's a huge bad ass?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #410
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Someone posted a while back that Thanos defeated Hulk because he had the power stone. But he appears to have not used it during the fight. On other occasions where Thanos did use stones had used the gauntlet to activate them. Is this a proper interpretation? He beat Hulk cuz he's a huge bad ass?
IMO, yes, he beat hulk in part because he's a huge badass.

I also think that wasn't the real hulk.

The re-introduction of the Red Skull is interesting. I wonder if they might amalgamate the comic characters of Adam Warlock and Doctor Doom into the Red Skull character.

Comic Spoiler:

Spoiler!
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #411
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

I think it's two fold, Hulk wasn't all that angry and Thanos knows how to actually fight. All we've seen from Hulk so far is him smashing through things with insane strength, but against Thanos he got his ass kicked because Thanos used technique
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #412
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think it's two fold, Hulk wasn't all that angry and Thanos knows how to actually fight. All we've seen from Hulk so far is him smashing through things with insane strength, but against Thanos he got his ass kicked because Thanos used technique
Yep, Hulk is a brute. Any true warrior with similar strength and power can defeat him.

See Thor: Ragnarok. Thor had him beat until the Grandmaster zapped him.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #413
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first scene did a brilliant job introducing Thanos as an imposing and dangerous villain getting you immediately invested in the movie are genuinely worried for the fate of our heroes.

-He is able to take out Thor, one of the most powerful Avengers, and half of Asgard with the help of a few friends and the power stone.

-He is shown to be physically equal to the Hulk and easily wins their fights with his superior smarts and style.

-Remember how the Guardians saved Nova Prime and then how Thor and friends saved Asgard? Well none of that matters now because Thanos.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #414
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had a super hero weekend, I watched Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2.

I have to say that Infiinity Wars is really the blueprint going forward for Super Hero movies because they did such an amazing job of making Thanos human and sympathetic. He was that villain that you felt was totally justified in his mind of the evil that he was doing.

There were some moments where you could feel the malevolence and the taking joy in a monstrous act just roll off of him. When he beat down the Hulk, when he killed Loki, when he took the mind stone. But at the same time there were these moments where you could feel the thought process of knowing that what he was doing was crappy and he felt bad for doing it but he was the only one with the will to do it. This was truly and antagonists movie. When Mantis is reading him and reveals that he was morning and this was some time after killing his daughter it was more powerful then when he realized that he'd have to sacrifice the what we thought was the only thing that he loved.

When he sat back at the end with a smile on his face, you realized more importantly that he actually did love the life in the universe and that he felt that taking half of it out to save the other half was a sacrifice worth making.

Even when you look at Marvel it works in the movies and they've been touching on and playing around with the sympathetic villains, but on this one they really pushed it

Iron Man 1 - Stane wasn't sympathetic, he was greedy and power hungry

Iron Man 2 - Vanko had no goals except for revenge, but he kind of sucked anyways, Hammer was just a jerk

Iron Man 3 - They tried to make Killian sympathetic, but instead they flopped as a nerd that no one liked changes himself and gets consumed by it.

Thor - Loki just wasn't all that sympathetic because he was basically a psychopath

Captain America FA - Red Skull was just an uberman who was consumed with basically becoming a god.

The Avengers-Loki again, still not sympathetic

Captain America Civil War - I actually thought the aims of Hydra in this movie were sympathetic and similar to Thanos. Pierce was good at placing the moral question out there.

Guardians one - Rohnan was completely unsypathtic,

Age of Ultron - I had some sympathy for Ultron, who was tasked with protecting the earth and because of his flawed programming came to believe he had to kill off humanity to do it. He's sympathetic because he's a victim of Tony's flawed world view and slipshod approach to solving anything. He's the child that is told to do something and interprets it literally, but hat scene where he worries about Scarlett was really well done.

Antman - Yellow Jacket was a jerk

CA Civil War - I was really sympathetic to the villain in this one who wanted to destroy the thing that destroyed his life and at the end wanted to die.
Guardians of the galaxy - Ego wasn't really sympathetic as much as a god gone bad.

Spiderman Homecoming - Tombs was completely sympathetic as the everyman that gets screwed over by the powerful and does everything he can to carve out his piece until he sells his soul, but Keaton made him someone that you could almost cheer for.

Ragnarok - Hela to me was really a sympathetic character in that she did what her father told her which was to wage war, and then suddenly Odin's world view changes and he becomes ashamed of what he created and throws her away

Black Panther - N'jadak, really sympathetic because basically he got screwed out of his father and wanted to make them pay damnit, and he saw himself as a liberator

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-27-2018 at 11:36 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM   #415
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think it's two fold, Hulk wasn't all that angry and Thanos knows how to actually fight.
... And he has the power stone already, which is obviously going to be stronger than Hulk? I suspect that the MCU version of Hulk wins that fight easily otherwise. That was part of the point of it - establish in the first two minutes that "Thanos + stones is scary, and if you don't believe us, watch him make short work of the Hulk".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #416
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
... And he has the power stone already, which is obviously going to be stronger than Hulk? I suspect that the MCU version of Hulk wins that fight easily otherwise. That was part of the point of it - establish in the first two minutes that "Thanos + stones is scary, and if you don't believe us, watch him make short work of the Hulk".
According to the writers, Thanos wins with or without the Power Stone:

https://movieweb.com/infinity-war-wr...nos-beat-hulk/
Old 08-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #417
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but Thanos doesn't use the power stone to beat Hulk
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #418
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
According to the writers, Thanos wins with or without the Power Stone:
If you want to establish Thanos as THE big bad then having him beat down the Hulk in a fist fight is a pretty good way to do it.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #419
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

https://www.ebgames.ca/$5Fridays

A couple of Avengers t-shirts, including a Thanos one, on sale for $5

Last edited by blankall; 09-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 09-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #420
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.ebgames.ca/$5Fridays

A couple of Avengers t-shirts, including a Thanos one, on sale for $5
Also some other things I can grab for stocking stuffers for the kids. Thanks!

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos