Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #161
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Oh my God did that ever look like fun. I'm sure the simulator was set to "noob" but still, what a blast.

Had to laugh at Martina. Every attempt at landing she'd be screaming "WE DID IT!! WE DID IT!!!!" while skidding across the rooftop. It aint over until you aren't moving anymore!
You can tell Taylor def has some video game experience, smooth landing and general control of the chopper.

The Rec Room in Calgary has a F1/Racing Simulator that is like a basic version of that and its a total blast.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:22 AM   #162
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so I'm watching this season as the first time I've watched Amazing Race, and there's something I just saw that I don't understand.

I watched Ep 3/Leg 3. Todd & Anna won L2, so they start and take off. Joe & Akash leave nearly 2 hours later. It looked like everyone was at the airport at the same time, and then coming out of the airport, Joe & Akash get ahead and end up on the first seaplane.

What was the point of the 2 hour head start, since it only seemed to mean that Todd & Anna got to sit at the airport for 2 hours, instead of their hotel? Their 2 hour head start didn't seem to make any difference at all. Or am I missing something?

Also, driving a 'Vette around and the raptor challenge...neat stuff!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 AM   #163
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the early years of the original Amazing Race, they didn't have those kinds of bunch-ups and sometimes teams ended up being a day or more behind the pack. In fact, in the very first Race, the final three was actually a final two because the third place team was stuck in Alaska while the top-two were racing to the finish in New York City.

Over the years, they've refined things to ensure the teams generally stay bunched-up together. It makes the production go a lot smoother because they don't have camera crews (and the host) scattered around different locations.

It's best to look at it as a bunch of single-leg races and the most-important thing is to not finish last on a leg.

There are some advantages to finishing higher on a leg even with the bunch-ups. For example, at the end of each leg, they do interviews with each team about that leg. Each interview can take up to a half an hour and they do them in the order the teams finished. So, by finishing first, you get your interview out of the way first and then you're free to eat or sleep at the Pit Stop while the other teams are waiting for their interviews.

On the US version, the teams tend to have more freedom with booking their travel arrangements. It's not uncommon for the teams to be spread across 2 or 3 different flights.

On the Canadian version, the flights available tend to be more restricted (Air Canada is a major sponsor, so they're not going to want to have teams flying WestJet). As a result, it's rare for them to have the teams taking different flights.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #164
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If all teams are going to be on the same flight after a pit stop they should get the head start after leaving the plane.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #165
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If all teams are going to be on the same flight after a pit stop they should get the head start after leaving the plane.
If they were first, they would just book the seats closest to the front of the plane.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #166
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I would love to see, would be an Olympian version of the show. It seems to me as though this would make for a great show with competitive teams, none of whom would have a significant physical edge over the others. The problem with this season with their "heroes" aspect is that all of the clubs are too nice with each other. Not saying that they should backstab others but just a group that would do whatever it took to win.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #167
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, all caught up. Not a bad show, all told.

It feels like every other show is a non-elimination leg. That's kind of boring.

"Oh look, another dance challenge..." Is this a race or a dance off? Should I be giving Star-lord a call?

Martina and Phil...kinda feels like Phil is the sleeper workhorse of the team, and Martina's along for the ride.

Adam and Courtney...ok, we get it, Courtney can't navigate her way out of a paper bag. I can not understand why, unless she is even more useless at driving, Adam keeps having her navigate while he drives around in circles.

Dylan and Kwame...Kinda fun watching this pair bumble through.

Taylor and Courtney...Like what I see, hope they win it.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 09-09-2018 at 02:33 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #168
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rooting for Taylor and Courtney even more. Taylor is a Flames fan!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #169
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I would have guessed the Leafs, but that's just because he looks like Tomas Kaberle.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #170
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
It took me 6 episodes to figure out they weren't dating... but they are my choice to win!
Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #171
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. That faceplant is going to make amazing race history!

It would be so awesome to get a chance to be up in that control tower.

and what an upset!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #172
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

HOT PINK PANTS COMING!

Calgary wins! Calgary wins!

The final three make their way to Calgary and Taylor & Courtney open up what seems to be an unsurmountable lead on the way to Banff ... BUT WAIT ... A shopping trip in Banff works out better for the locals and Courtney & Adam are able to take the lead on the final challenge. A footrace to the finish line sees the first responders respond with their first win.

You don't have to win them all, you just have to win the last one.
  1. Courtney & Adam
  2. Taylor & Courtney
  3. Dylan & Kwame
  4. Martina & Phil
  5. Nancy & Mellisa
  6. Leanne & Mar
  7. Zainab & Monica
  8. Todd & Anna
  9. Joseph & Akash
  10. Chewy & Happy

Congrats to our pool winners: Amethyst & bigtmac19
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #173
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Woohoo, I did pick the right Courtney team after all! If you're only going to win one leg, this is the one to win.

Taylor and Courtney are going home with some pretty nice winnings too. For awhile there, it looked like they would be able to walk to the finish line and win, so I'm glad there was some excitement at the end.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 AM   #174
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That face plant looked painful!!

That was a good finish. Taylor and Courtney won 5 legs, that is a lot of fantastic trips, I don't feel too badly for them.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #175
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

How fast was Taylor going to make it through the water without getting wet. The other 2 guys didn't even come close.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #176
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
That face plant looked painful!!
That was, BY FAR, the most awesome thing I've seen in any version of the race. Doods coming in like greased lightning and just effin bails in the most graceful fashion I've ever seen. That was incredible. He's lucky he didn't go into that wall head first. That could have been so much worse. But to just kinda flop over it and go *** over tea kettle and land on he's behind and slide to the finish line? Crushed it like a Boss.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #177
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched it on slo-mo 3 times! He did say he didn't want to touch the brakes. I really wish they had won though.

It would have been better if the Sunshine challenge was something a bit trickier to slow teams down, they all kinda went the same speed which kind of negates beating someone in the challenge.

Did anyone else notice the aerial views of Calgary where from a couple years ago when Brookfield was still under construction?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #178
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Team Calgary does just enough to make it into the finals, then earned the victory in the shopping challenge. Awesome foresight to keep track of items as they bought them and check off where each item was from, making sure all 22 items matched up with two per leg. Team RCMP wasn't as cunning and had to make return trips back. That planning won it for Team Calgary. Kudos
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #179
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Team Calgary does just enough to make it into the finals, then earned the victory in the shopping challenge. Awesome foresight to keep track of items as they bought them and check off where each item was from, making sure all 22 items matched up with two per leg. Team RCMP wasn't as cunning and had to make return trips back. That planning won it for Team Calgary. Kudos
Teams should know already to take detailed notes on all the legs. Then, in hours flying, you should memorize everything you wrote down.