Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #161
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I'm a contractor with no benefits. A cleaning and X-rays is $600 for my kid.
I've had fillings done that costed less.

Yowzers.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #162
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I'm a contractor with no benefits. A cleaning and X-rays is $600 for my kid.
I'm fortunate as I'm self-employed but my wife has a normal job with exceptional benefits, but I'm also not old enough yet to really have to worry about it.

I mean, a couple dental cleanings a year I can afford, but its certainly much nicer when the insurance company is picking up the tab.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #163
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its not really a free market though is it?

Whenever you're dealing with insurance it throws a wrench in the entire works because everyone knows that an insurance company is picking up most of the tab.
Yep. Which is why health care costs are so high in the U.S.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #164
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yep. Which is why health care costs are so high in the U.S.
Theres a whole lot more moving pieces to that giant mozza ball, but its definitely a factor.

An interesting comparable would be Auto-Body Shops. You get a tiny door-ding and it costs thousands to fix because they're not gouging the hell out of you, you're a person, thats no good, so they're gouging the hell out of a faceless insurance company, and thats okay.

If anything you'd think insurance companies would be lobbying hard for standardized rates more than anyone else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #165
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Because my taxes already go to pay for those who smoke, drink to much, eat to many caloric foods, and dont get enough exercise becasue they would rather binge watch some reality TV garbage show on some bs cable channel then take care of their own health.

If people are to fkn lazy to brush their teeth twice a day and floss once a day and occasionally use some mouth wash then I dont want our collective tax dollars to pay for them.

Procedure fees should be advertised so I can "shop around" to different dentists to see if free bottled, nice couches and fake fireplace is worth the extra fees.
Very ignorant post.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #166
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Very ignorant post.
People should also just not opt into having wisdom teeth either if they don't have enough room or aren't going to let them grow in properly.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #167
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me started on fatties and smokers
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:10 AM   #168
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I recently paid 24$ for an assessment and 156$ for a filling in Castlegar. No insurance but the dental costs here are cheaper than any dental insurance I can buy.
Damn. I had just gotten my dental work done when I got laid off last spring, but it sounds like a BC road trip is in my future.

Curious if anyone knows, are the savings similar going outside the city or do you need to go out of province for savings like that?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 AM   #169
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If anything you'd think insurance companies would be lobbying hard for standardized rates more than anyone else.
Insurance companies can charge however much they want in premiums for whatever limits they wish to set. When regulations are introduced, insurance companies have the leverage of not offering coverage to "lobby" for deregulation, it's the exact scenario republicans in the states are trying use as an argument against obamacare.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #170
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ in the context of group insurance, dental premium rates are generally set by taking the claims paid for a period of time (usually 12 months), adding in an allowance for the plan administration expenses (this would include a profit margin for the insurance company) and then adding in an allowance for future expected inflation (I.e the fee guide going up).

Generally speaking there are maximums built within the plan that are set at the request of the policyholder. The higher these limits the more expensive the plan can become, because claims will increase due to the higher maximums

Generally speaking, most employers have a group benefits consultant advising them . The consultant would independently review the historical claims data to determine if the premium rates are appropriate. In addition, the consultant would review the plan design and provide the client with comments on the maximums relative to the marketplace which would include peer companies as well.

The insurance companies have developed their own fee guide, called the reasonable and customary which defines the amount they will pay for a particular dental code.

As a complete aside, I read in the paper this week that the dental association was meeting in jasper this week and that the dental fee guide was not going to be a part of their formal discussions.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #171
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ in the context of group insurance, dental premium rates are generally set by taking the claims paid for a period of time (usually 12 months), adding in an allowance for the plan administration expenses (this would include a profit margin for the insurance company) and then adding in an allowance for future expected inflation (I.e the fee guide going up).

Generally speaking there are maximums built within the plan that are set at the request of the policyholder. The higher these limits the more expensive the plan can become, because claims will increase due to the higher maximums

Generally speaking, most employers have a group benefits consultant advising them . The consultant would independently review the historical claims data to determine if the premium rates are appropriate. In addition, the consultant would review the plan design and provide the client with comments on the maximums relative to the marketplace which would include peer companies as well.

The insurance companies have developed their own fee guide, called the reasonable and customary which defines the amount they will pay for a particular dental code.

As a complete aside, I read in the paper this week that the dental association was meeting in jasper this week and that the dental fee guide was not going to be a part of their formal discussions.
Ahhh Actuaries....Accountants who couldnt stand the excitement.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #172
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Ahhh Actuaries....Accountants who couldnt stand the excitement.
Or they were afraid of the constant private helicopter flights.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #173
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

New dental fee guide released today recommends a drop in fees of 8.5%. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...2018-1.4413917

Still too high.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #174
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
New dental fee guide released today recommends a drop in fees of 8.5%. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...2018-1.4413917

Still too high.
I think the economy will bring the fee's down as well.

Having a College mandated fee guideline is good for both patients and the professional. Not sure why they would not have one.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #175
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I think the economy will bring the fee's down as well.

Having a College mandated fee guideline is good for both patients and the professional. Not sure why they would not have one.
It’s recommended. I don’t think much will change. Those who care about dentist fees will already have found their cheap place.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #176
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well the whiny dentist they interviewed on TV said he would have to lay off all his single mother staff members if this guide came in.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #177
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im studying to be a dentist and i have to agree. The prices are ridiculous. Hopefully they go down.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #178
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well the whiny dentist they interviewed on TV said he would have to lay off all his single mother staff members if this guide came in.
I live in an acreage community just outside of Lethbridge, the biggest/most expensive houses are all owned by dentists, I think they can take a 8.5% hit and still avoid the foodbank
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #179
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliddy View Post
I live in an acreage community just outside of Lethbridge, the biggest/most expensive houses are all owned by dentists, I think they can take a 8.5% hit and still avoid the foodbank
I'm not an anti-dentite or anything, but ask yourself when was the last time you saw a dentist in her 60s. They're long retired by then.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #180
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm not an anti-dentite or anything, but ask yourself when was the last time you saw a dentist in her 60s. They're long retired by then.
Or dead. Don't they have the highest suicide rate of any profession?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote