Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #81
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just a little more green space and open beer consumption and we are set!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #82
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I just came back from Vegas, and that area that is around the T Mobile Center is amazing. I didn't get to catch a game or be there during, but that was everything I imagined an arena and surrounding area should be. Beautiful, vibrant, full of establishments in and out, and a massive area to watch just outside.
The big area outside the arena is used really well for pre-game festivities. They have a caravan thing come in, dancers and music acts on a stage, and the Golden Knight guy goes around smack talking the opposing team a bunch. Even if you don't go in the arena to watch the game, it's easy to have fun there anyways.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #83
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The inverted bowl is interesting. One thing though is that you usually don't want to be the first group doing something new. My company did a new construction method for a 58 story building in Seattle and we met the schedule. We boast about it on linked in to no end. What gets kept quiet is the 35 million dollar loss on the project (originally a 30 million dollar contract) that will likely result in the end of the company by July.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #84
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The inverted bowl is interesting. One thing though is that you usually don't want to be the first group doing something new. My company did a new construction method for a 58 story building in Seattle and we met the schedule. We boast about it on linked in to no end. What gets kept quiet is the 35 million dollar loss on the project (originally a 30 million dollar contract) that will likely result in the end of the company by July.
With city money involved I wouldn't expect something like that. The Flames won't want to pay full boat on cost over runs and the going to the City for more money will probably be a non-starter.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #85
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This has been so long in the making they would be foolish to potentially mess it all up by being someone's pioneer project. Go with a proven design/concept.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #86
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys used a new construction method on a lump sum project? Unless you had done a bunch of similar stuff and figured out all the kinks ahead of time that seems pretty risky.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #87
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
You guys used a new construction method on a lump sum project? Unless you had done a bunch of similar stuff and figured out all the kinks ahead of time that seems pretty risky.
Long story short...the new Construction means and methods were not the problem. It was routine everyday building code required items that the designer completely overlooked. I suspect largely due to the fascination with the new toy. I see this on almost every one of these new groundbreaking projects these days.

So we agree to do this work for unit rates and keep schedule. But at the end of the job the GC thinks there is 30,000 feet of bent plate at x dollars per foot added. We had 90,000 and no one wants to pay for the difference between 30 to 90 at the agreed rate.

Lesson to learn...design bid build and award all contracts based 100% low price on a new design concept will make a lot of work for lawyers for years to come after the building is opened.

They can try a new idea but not under that construction model. It would have to be a IPD or similar delivery method. But taxpayers seem to hate the idea that someone provide true costs and expected profit up front to do a project...certainly there has to be someone in the corporate welfare business who will help subsidize it?

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 12-07-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Sylvanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #88
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You guys need some new estimators. They only missed by $65M,
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #89
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The inverted bowl concept is used and has been used in live theatre and music venues all over the world. Now it will just be wide enough to surround a hockey rink instead of orchestra seating.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #90
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The inverted bowl concept is used and has been used in live theatre and music venues all over the world. Now it will just be wide enough to surround a hockey rink instead of orchestra seating.
Yeah but has anyone one that size? Either way it will be great value for the project to hire a realy good design team than try to save 500 grand by going with the low cost firm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: