Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #661
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Aliu would have an uphill battle to prove significant damages for the reasons DM has provided above. However, I am not left with the impression that he is seeking a financial windfall for himself. Hiring a well known lawyer doesn't automatically mean he is looking for a payday. It seems like he really wants to improve the system.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #662
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well it wasn’t a sustained situation. He wasn’t stuck with that employer and situation, grinding him down. Got out of it pretty fast, actually. Then had 21 more employers in the next decade.

In 2 short years he got in with a stable quality organization, and made it to the NHL.
What constitutes a short year? Were they non-leap years?

There is a strong argument to be made that ages 18-24 are the most important in determining a hockey player's career trajectory, and earnings. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to whip up a statistical analysis that shows a significant difference in career earnings for 2nd & 3rd round picks who were sent to the ECHL vs. those who weren't. Aliu's team could cherry pick the data in whatever way makes their case the strongest (picks 50-60, only 2nd round picks, etc.), and they seem to have a pretty strong case that Aliu's demotion was not based on on-ice performance.

Pro sports are weird. A semi-free market within an enclosed environment. Relatively few brokers have immense power; if they are not acting in good-faith, it can be extremely detrimental for specific athletes (see Kaepernick, Colin). Bowman and the Blackhawks have a decent defence that they would not intentionally sabotage the value of their own asset,.

A lot of this comes down to reputation. You know how a lot of organizations have a policy of not providing info on past employees for reference checks? That policy came from somewhere.

The overall case is anything but a slam dunk, but IMO there is plenty of meat on the bone to play with. I'll just never understand the hand-wringing that happens when certain types of people explore their options for remedy. The security guard in the Auston Matthews situation comes to mind.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #663
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Jesus. In the relatively short period of 2 years. Was it really that unclear?

By virtue of the fact that the Flames gave him his shot, not once but twice, I feel this imaginary case of organizations acting in bad faith against the guy has little merit

Although, if you want to go full conspiracy wingnut with it, maybe the Flames by not sending him to the ECHL when he was in the org defied the conspirators and now, fast forward, the officials have banded together to let them know it will not stand. Those 8 short handed situations didn’t come from nowhere

My goodness, I think you are on to something
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #664
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ Jesus. In the relatively short period of 2 years. Was it really that unclear?

By virtue of the fact that the Flames gave him his shot, not once but twice, I feel this imaginary case of organizations acting in bad faith against the guy has little merit

Although, if you want to go full conspiracy wingnut with it, maybe the Flames by not sending him to the ECHL when he was in the org defied the conspirators and now, fast forward, the officials have banded together to let them know it will not stand. Those 8 short handed situations didn’t come from nowhere

My goodness, I think you are on to something
I don't think the Flames have anything to do with it. His argument will be that the interactions with Peters and the Hawks, limited as they were, caused, or partly caused a chain of events that blew up his career. By the time he got to Calgary the damage was done in other words.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #665
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it wasn’t a sustained situation. He wasn’t stuck with that employer and situation, grinding him down. Got out of it pretty fast, actually. Then had 21 more employers in the next decade.

In 2 short years he got in with a stable quality organization, and made it to the NHL.

Do you really think he was frustrated when he played with the Flames and got his first NHL goal?

That’s a lot of positive within the first two years of his career being derailed
His interactions with Peters were probably just a symptom of a more pervasive issue. While others may not have been slinging the n-word around openly, if Peters can do that and get away with it, it's not beyond possibility that others in the NHL were more subtle about their racism.

It would be difficult if not impossible to prove, but Aliu's feelings are justified IMO.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #666
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think the Flames have anything to do with it. His argument will be that the interactions with Peters and the Hawks, limited as they were, caused, or partly caused a chain of events that blew up his career. By the time he got to Calgary the damage was done in other words.
It's the causation and the quantification of the damages that would make it difficult for him though. Just spitballing numbers here, but if a guy in his position (good, but not great prospect, playing in the AHL) has a 20% chance of an average career (which I am again guessing, might be shorter and less lucrative that you might think), and this interaction lowered that chance, I think the damages would be that difference in percentages times the average earnings. I don't think it is life changing money. He would need to seek punitive or exemplary damages, which is possible, but by no means a certainty.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #667
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t really care too much at all what he does.
And nobody disagrees that Peters did wrong things.

But he did hire a second lawyer in the US, and some people reasonably wonder what his plans are.

Does he plan to sue any of the leagues or organizations?
If so, on what grounds?
What would you reasonably expect he could make a case for?

Being that this is a discussion board, it seems like, you know, something to discuss.

Would a lawsuit have merit?

Do you feel like there is a reason not to discuss it?
People should discus whatever they want. I do feel like it is a very minor point compared to the broader issue that has surfaced here, and so I do think it's a shame that so much time and energy is being diverted away from more meaningful discussions.

Do you think some people want to question Aliu's motives in an attempt to minimize the seriousness of what Peters did?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #668
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
It's the causation and the quantification of the damages that would make it difficult for him though. Just spitballing numbers here, but if a guy in his position (good, but not great prospect, playing in the AHL) has a 20% chance of an average career (which I am again guessing, might be shorter and less lucrative that you might think), and this interaction lowered that chance, I think the damages would be that difference in percentages times the average earnings. I don't think it is life changing money. He would need to seek punitive or exemplary damages, which is possible, but by no means a certainty.
I think his biggest problem is limitations, followed by causation and quantification. The latter - he will just present expert evidence and hope for a percentage. This can put a defendant in a bit of an awkward position of arguing "you were always going to be a crappy player", which sometimes doesn't play well.

I'm not even convinced he's going to sue, as opposed to having lawyers to work out a deal where he participates in an NHL awareness and education program.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #669
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t really care too much at all what he does.
Are you sure?

Spoiler!

I mean...that seems like quite a few long posts including lots of statistical research for any topic, let alone one you don't really care about...

To the last of those posts about the "relatively short period of 2 years" - I certainly understood what you meant, but I'm pointing out that 2 years is a neither short nor insignificant time period for an aspiring professional hockey player, especially before you reach your mid 20s.

Quote:

But he did hire a second lawyer in the US, and some people reasonably wonder what his plans are.

Does he plan to sue any of the leagues or organizations?
If so, on what grounds?
What would you reasonably expect he could make a case for?

Being that this is a discussion board, it seems like, you know, something to discuss.

Would a lawsuit have merit?

Do you feel like there is a reason not to discuss it?
These are the discussions most of us are having. You seem to be the only one working pro-bono to refute a theoretical lawsuit...

I'm not one to discourage any kind of discussion. By all means, continue as you are. Just a heads up, IMO you seem to be passionately pontificating about a topic you claim to not care that much about. Sometimes we all need to push back from the keyboard and ask ourselves wtf am I doing here?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #670
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ lol

Cute. How do you think it looks on you when you feel the need to take time to dig up and copy and paste a bunch of my replies to people?

When you were doing that did you ask yourself any illuminating questions?

Haha
Old 12-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #671
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ lol

Cute. How do you think it looks on you when you feel the need to take time to dig up and copy and paste a bunch of my replies to people?

When you were doing that did you ask yourself any illuminating questions?

Haha
Well, you both certainly look well invested in the argument, and surely care.

Only one of you said, he doesn't though.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #672
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Statement from Bettman at the BOG. Also outlines how the NHL is planning on preventing future situations.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13656?sf113947969=1

Quote:
1. We don’t like surprises – the Bill Peters situation was a complete surprise.

Going forward, our clubs are on notice that if they become aware of an incident of conduct involving NHL personnel on or off the ice that is clearly inappropriate, unlawful or demonstrably abusive, or that may violate the League’s policies, involving NHL Club personnel, on or off the ice, we at the League office – Bill Daly or me – must be immediately advised. There will be zero tolerance for any failure to notify us and in the event of such failure, the club and individuals involved can expect severe discipline.

As it relates to incidents involving Bill Peters in Carolina – there seems to be some confusion between statements by Peter Karmanos and Ron Francis, which I still need to sort out. However, I am fairly clear that none of this has anything to do with Carolina under Tom Dundon, who was among the first to call me when Peters’ conduct came to light and he first learned about the Peters physical abuse allegations in Carolina.
Quote:
Calgary’s response initially to Akim Aliu’s allegations and then the Carolina issue, was timely, professional and appropriate. While none of Bill Peters’ inappropriate conduct occurred on the Flames’ watch, they undertook the important effort to try to understand what happened 10 years ago and thereafter. Once Calgary could satisfy itself as to what transpired, they achieved an appropriate result and I commend the Calgary organization and in particular, Brad Treliving, for their efforts and cooperation. I think it is pretty fair to say that from now on when a Club is hiring a coach, the due diligence a team conducts will go to levels never seen before. And, that is a good thing.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #673
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

All right!

Let’s get rifling through Ward’s garbage and see if he is a keeper!
Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #674
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Statement from Bettman at the BOG. Also outlines how the NHL is planning on preventing future situations.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13656?sf113947969=1
Quote:
As it relates to incidents involving Bill Peters in Carolina – there seems to be some confusion between statements by Peter Karmanos and Ron Francis, which I still need to sort out. However, I am fairly clear that none of this has anything to do with Carolina under Tom Dundon, who was among the first to call me when Peters’ conduct came to light and he first learned about the Peters physical abuse allegations in Carolina.
What does this mean? It sure sounds like Dundon reported abusive behaviour by Peters to the League while he was still in Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #675
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What does this mean? It sure sounds like Dundon reported abusive behaviour by Peters to the League while he was still in Carolina.
I took it to mean that Dundon contacted the league after Jordan made his allegations on twitter and offered cooperation.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #676
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

“They achieved an appropriate result”. Some carefully worded language right there.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #677
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
“They achieved an appropriate result”. Some carefully worded language right there.
Behind the curtains settlement for a resignation?

A lot of folks have been hyper critical of that. Some believe it's a sweeping it under the rug. I dont think it is as it's a bit of a opening of a can of worms if you drop the guillotine without thought.

Situation unfolded the best it could IMO.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #678
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Behind the curtains settlement for a resignation?

A lot of folks have been hyper critical of that. Some believe it's a sweeping it under the rug. I dont think it is as it's a bit of a opening of a can of worms if you drop the guillotine without thought.

Situation unfolded the best it could IMO.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #679
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The contract likely didn't have broad enough language to make this a fireable offence. Thus the 'appropriate result'. No messy lawsuit and everyone can move on.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #680
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

NM. Wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote