Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #221
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Not giving Dubas a free pass on the RFA contracts but maybe Babcock played a role in the stars seemingly playing hardball with the team.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #222
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What is with the constant f-bomb dropping bully type (see for eg. the HBO series Road to the Winter Classic where Bruce Boudreau could not string a sentence together unless it was full of expletives)?

Does being a ####head motivate players to excel? Because if I had a boss like that I would be out of here before the end of the day.
Boudreau seemed to be well liked by his players if I remember correctly. I wouldn't lump him into the same group as Babcock as swearing alone doesn't necessarily reflect how you treat others.

However, you do have a point. There is a drill sergeant/ not your friend type of personality that is often put into leadership positions and I think this can be traced directly to the experience of different generations. The army is seen as the pinnacle of leadership in many sports. The NHL and NFL in particular really pander to it. However, as the younger generations are becoming further and further removed from these major conflicts (WW1, 2, Vietnam, cold war, etc.) they are looking elsewhere for leadership (mostly business) which emphasizes more inclusiveness, collaborations, etc. I think going forward you'll see less of that old leadership style simply because young people do no relate to it.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #223
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whats ####ing wrong with swearing?

Tavares drops multiple F-Bombs in that locker room video after getting Keefe his first win. Crosby dropping bombs all over those HBO documentaries too.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #224
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Corral with the usual hot take divorced from common sense.

This is a sports junkie forum board for pete's sake. The whole place is hot takes. LOL.

It scares me to think some of you think this place is actual debate and common sense.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #225
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watching watching the TSN Overdrive guys this afternoon and they floated the idea that the Marner thing might have been related to Babcock not wanting him to be drafted. Apparently Babcock wanted Hanifin instead. Interesting if true.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #226
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

That just makes Babcock more of an ass.

Being a good coach is one thing, but purposefully messing with people's careers for your own stupid reasons is something else.

The way Babcock made lineup decisions was ridiculous.

Only playing the backup in the second of back-to-back because of reasons, nevermind strength of opponent.

Scratching Justin Holl 71 times last season

Playing Josh Leivo only 29 times over two seasons

Scratching Frankie Corrado I forget how many times in a row.

Obviously that's on the Leafs too for not moving on/waiving them or whatever, but what a dick.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #227
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Akim Aliu: "Not very surprising the things we’re hearing about Babcock. Apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree, same sort of deal with his protege (Bill Peters) in YYC. Dropped the N bomb several times towards me in the dressing room in my rookie year because he didn’t like my choice of music."

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...e_things_were/
Just moving this over here from the game thread.

This actually could be a blessing in disguise if Tre needs a way out. I'm starting to turn on Peters a little bit here.

It should also be said that this kind of statement could do with a second player backing up the statement. Could be nothing. Could be something.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #228
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I watching watching the TSN Overdrive guys this afternoon and they floated the idea that the Marner thing might have been related to Babcock not wanting him to be drafted. Apparently Babcock wanted Hanifin instead. Interesting if true.
I mean that’s not new news. That was known a long time ago. But this is just a classic hockey story. People have this idea hockey players and people in hockey are “better” than other athletes in other leagues and look the other way. I can’t wait till this iteration of the flames separates and the story’s that come out and people actually start to believe.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #229
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sports has always had these a-type sociopaths. It's really unfortunate, but you see this type of thing is your corporate environment more and more as time passes. Look up the documentary CBC did of sociopaths in the workplace and read the book. I imagine a professional sports organization where you have such a short window for winning in a leadership position pretty much ensures you hire these people who self-promote at the expense of everyone else and selling results rather than actually getting results. The classic finger point - it was everyone else not doing their job but look all these great things I did.

When I heard Brian Burke lament that it's a sad day for Babcock and his family and that he's a great human being, I lost a lot of respect for the guy. You hear a lot of these stories, obviously not contrived, and you realize Burke was standing up for a real POS.

Last edited by bluejays; 11-25-2019 at 07:52 PM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #230
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Sports has always had these a-type sociopaths. It's really unfortunate, but you see this type of thing is your corporate environment more and more as time passes. Look up the documentary CBC did of sociopaths in the workplace and read the book. I imagine a professional sports organization where you have such a short window for winning in a leadership position pretty much ensures you hire these people who self-promote at the expense of everyone else and selling results rather than actually getting results. The classic finger point - it was everyone else not doing their job but look all these great things I did.

When I heard Brian Burke lament that it's a sad day for Babcock and his family and that he's a great human being, I lost a lot of respect for the guy. You hear a lot of these stories, obviously not contrived, and you realize Burke was standing up for a real POS.
The funny thing of course is that he’s been a piece of #### since his days in red deer and because of how hockey is no one cares because he “wins”

The Toronto media guys are the funniest. You have Jeff O’Neil going hard at Babcock now when he was the biggest water carrier forever. It’s sad.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-25-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:41 AM   #231
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
This is a sports junkie forum board for pete's sake. The whole place is hot takes. LOL.

It scares me to think some of you think this place is actual debate and common sense.
Scares you? What a bizarre way, to double down.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #232
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The funny thing of course is that he’s been a piece of #### since his days in red deer and because of how hockey is no one cares because he “wins”
You're in the corporate world aren't you? "no one cares because he wins" isn't exactly something hockey has a monopoly on.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 02:34 AM   #233
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Bob Hartley received a lot of bad press after being fired from the Flames
Can someone remind me what that was. My memory is foggy.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #234
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Can someone remind me what that was. My memory is foggy.
Amoungst others, I think Pinder said that the Flames medical staff told him he was skating the players into injuries. Harley’s response was to get new staff.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #235
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

The Toronto media guys are the funniest. You have Jeff O’Neil going hard at Babcock now when he was the biggest water carrier forever. It’s sad.
O’Neil has never liked him. He’s been on the record with this since he was hired.

He’s respected Babcock’s resume, but at the same time he’s known what Babcock is.

However guys in his position hesitate to unload on an employee like Babcock because the team has the hammer in their ability to restrict access for O’Neil’s employer, TSN.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #236
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowz View Post
Yikes,

Not too sure if this was posted as of yet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5S-NaeA..._web_copy_link
Sheesh, that's harsh! Demoralizing for the player and his teammates!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #237
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.tsn.ca/report-former-red...####-1.1407213

Quote:
The native of Sweden said in the interview that Babcock is the worst person he ever met.
“As a coach he is extremely meticulous and well prepared. He is very good at putting a team together and getting everyone to buy into it. That’s his strong side,” Franzen told the newspaper. “But then, he’s a terrible person, the worst I have ever met. He’s a bully who was attacking people. It could be a cleaner at the arena in Detroit or anybody. He would lay into people without any reason.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 PM   #238
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
In Babcock's reality belittling and demeaning anyone below you means you're a Gud Pro and a real family man apparently.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #239
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He can't say it, but I wonder if Franzen holds Babcock partially responsible for the awful post concussion syndrome that has afflicted him for years.

How much did Babcock pressure franzen into playing injured, I wonder.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM   #240
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I too was verbally attacked and intentionally intimidated by Mike Babcock outside the Red Wings dressing room back in 2007. Former Detroit video coach Jay Woodcroft brought him to me. Had me up against a wall while screaming and pointing in my face b/c of a story I had written https://t.co/JNEV8hckNB
— Andy Strickland (@andystrickland) December 3, 2019
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: