Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #621
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He's a middle manager recently promoted way over his head.
Bryan Ren.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #622
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He's a middle manager recently promoted way over his head.
That sounds more like Hux than Kylo.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #623
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That sounds more like Hux than Kylo.
Because Kylo Ren has consistently demonstrated competence.

Basically they let Rian Johnson completely #### this up. Not sure how they're saving this because the second act, the critical act, is a totally broken mess that severed any potential story arc.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isnít 100% committed.

Last edited by nik-; 12-06-2019 at 01:54 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #624
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did they ever explain why they left Luke with the same last name as his father? Seems careless. I mean, it worked out in the end, but really it was courting disaster if Vader ever checked the Tattoine phone book. Unless they left his name the same as protection - like, don't mess with Vader's kid on Tattoine?

Nope they did touch on it in one book, where Obi-Wan was talking to Qui-gon. And they reached the conclusion that Vader would never step on Tattooine again because it would awaken too many memories of his tragic life.


Add to that, in the Empire the only two people that knew of Vaders past were Vader and Sheev, and Vader wasn't about to let that nugget out there.


Plus up until after the First Death Star Vader and Palpatine believed that Padme was dead and had taken the children with her, so there was never a reason to look for a Skywalker.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #625
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #626
Coach
Franchise Player
 
Coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
They're gonna Marvel up the force. Expect to see Rey flying or turning into a large green monster.
Iíve often wondered why Jedi donít fly. They can move pretty much any object they want, but not themselves?
__________________
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #627
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

They can leap huge distances and fall from great distances and land in a superhero pose. Its why there was a Snoke was Mace Windu theory because there was no way that a Jedi Master would be killed by a 300 story fall.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #628
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default



"I'm not sad. Debate me."

Lol.
__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #629
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They can leap huge distances and fall from great distances and land in a superhero pose. Its why there was a Snoke was Mace Windu theory because there was no way that a Jedi Master would be killed by a 300 story fall.
I had not heard that theory. I can see who one can come to that conclusion though. However, Snoke was not a badarsemotherforker.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:26 AM   #630
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Iíve often wondered why Jedi donít fly. They can move pretty much any object they want, but not themselves?
Did you not see The Last Jedi? Leia 'Mary Poppins'ed' her way through a warship.

They cant totally fly. Or not.

I think this is some people's major issue, The Force becomes a writer's Deus Ex Machina to get out of trouble.

"Never fear! We can Jedi-Magic this problem away!"
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #631
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Did you not see The Last Jedi? Leia 'Mary Poppins'ed' her way through a warship.

They cant totally fly. Or not.

I think this is some people's major issue, The Force becomes a writer's Deus Ex Machina to get out of trouble.

"Never fear! We can Jedi-Magic this problem away!"

I still remember playing the force unleashed, when the intrepid team pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky while swatting aside a fleet of tie fighters. While it looked cool, it was just so lame.
__________________
Just when you think you have the answers, I change the questions
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #632
pseudoreality
Scoring Winger
 
pseudoreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember playing the force unleashed, when the intrepid team pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky while swatting aside a fleet of tie fighters. While it looked cool, it was just so lame.
Well if what Yoda says is true, size matters not. So yeah, you can do pretty much anything with the force. If you think about it, fighting with lightsabers makes no sense if you can do large and small telekineses. I mean, just break a leg or pinch the carotid artery to knock someone out if you are a good guy, crush the heart or brain if you are a bad guy. Or you know, throw a small rock or planet at them.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #633
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Well if what Yoda says is true, size matters not. So yeah, you can do pretty much anything with the force. If you think about it, fighting with lightsabers makes no sense if you can do large and small telekineses. I mean, just break a leg or pinch the carotid artery to knock someone out if you are a good guy, crush the heart or brain if you are a bad guy. Or you know, throw a small rock or planet at them.
Generally the force isn't capable of that kind of precision. It swats at and pushes stuff but isn't capable of entering someone's body. For example, Vader can choke people bluntly, but can't pinch an individual artery.

That should be the way it is. I agree with others stating that all these new force powers are dumb and just ways to get around bad writing. The light and dark side both have their characteristic powers. You can learn some hidden powers by really going on a deep dive into meditation and research (for example Darth Plagueis after total mastery of the force may have gained some ability to control life and death), but you shouldn't just be able to, for example, fly through space whenever it's convenient.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #634
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Considering a ship in space has no weight it seems more plausible Leia pulled the ship towards her. That doesn’t seem like much of a feat.

We’ve already seen force ghosts. Luke reading the Jedi texts and figuring out how to force hologram himself using a deep dive into meditation and research similarly doesn’t seem outlandish.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #635
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Considering a ship in space has no weight it seems more plausible Leia pulled the ship towards her. That doesn’t seem like much of a feat.

We’ve already seen force ghosts. Luke reading the Jedi texts and figuring out how to force hologram himself using a deep dive into meditation and research similarly doesn’t seem outlandish.
Yeah I agree with this.

I didn't have an issue with the force power of being able to move through space - that actually seems like something a force user should be able to easily do.

It's not really flying when you are in space - you're already floating in weightless space without gravity, all she did was pull herself towards the ship.

There were two issues with that scene:

1) We've rarely seen Leia use the force and that was a horrible way to introduce her powers in the movie.

2) It looked cheesy as hell based on how they filmed it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #636
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

I also agree on both points. IIRC they left it hanging by cutting away too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #637
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

There's also the issue of Leia surviving in space. When Darth Vader's tie fighter spun out of control, he needed a rescue. He didn't just eject and fly back home.

The problem is that not only was it out of character for Leia, this power, just like the ward drive through battering ram idea, directly contradicts and weakens previous plots.

....ugggh thinking about this scene also makes me remember how they killed off Ackbar like a background character....
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #638
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's also the issue of Leia surviving in space. When Darth Vader's tie fighter spun out of control, he needed a rescue. He didn't just eject and fly back home.

The problem is that not only was it out of character for Leia, this power, just like the ward drive through battering ram idea, directly contradicts and weakens previous plots.

....ugggh thinking about this scene also makes me remember how they killed off Ackbar like a background character....
But did it subvert your expectations? Because that's all that matters. Story is irrelevant. Character arcs are for film students. What's important is that what happened wasn't what you expected.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Johnny eats garbage and isnít 100% committed.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #639
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
But did it subvert your expectations? Because that's all that matters. Story is irrelevant. Character arcs are for film students. What's important is that what happened wasn't what you expected.
When someone with clearly only a passing familiarity with the source material writes a sequel it's almost a certainty, whether intentional or not, that expectations will be subverted.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #640
direwolf
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Vancouver
Exp:
Default

My only issue with the Leia Mary Poppins scene is that it was just filmed badly and looked stupid. The character having that ability didn't really bother me. We knew back in 1983 that Leia was a Skywalker. 30 years had passed between ROTJ and TFA, so who's the say Luke didn't teach Leia a few Jedi tricks over the years?

But man, that scene just looked so ridiculous. I agree, they should have introduced her powers in a more subtle way.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nerd rage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016